Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 sportster tower or skylon?

jth528

hi i just bought a 98 sportster and want to either put a tower on it or just get a skylon.. just wondering what everybody recommends?

if money is an issue then the pole is a good option. Also some towers get in the way of short line slalom skiing.

Keeping those two things in mind it depends. Asthetically do you like the look of a tower? I really like the look of a boat without a tower I think it looks real sporty/streamlined. How much boarding do you do? The pole might be a good bet if you only board once and awhile, then it can be removed while you ski or cruise.

Here is my take, I am sort of in the same situation as you are, I am thinking about putting a tower on but I am going to be very picky as far as the looks and construction(will it block my ski rope) before I put one on my boat.

Edited by Wakes

hi i just bought a 98 sportster and want to either put a tower on it or just get a skylon.. just wondering what everybody recommends?

Mine is a similar boat I guess - closed bow, same seating. I prefer the skylon because I don't like the look of a ski boat pretending to be a wakeboard boat. When I'm done pretending to be able to put out a board-able wake, I take the pylon down and I'm a legit ski boat again. Which I prefer. Just my opinion, but a tower on a 3-event flat bottom DD tow boat is about as silly as a spoiler wing on a Civic.

Now - with that said - ready? I may cave to my teenage sons and get a tower this year. The storage - skis, boards, ropes and handles all up and out of the way! You can get racks for the skylon - but everything wet drips on the driver when the next set goes in the water. And the boys want the speakers, and lights, yada yada.

zachreadytoski.gif

I just purchased a 98 Response. I added a Monster tower so that we could hang stuff, store boards and of course wake board. Looking forward to trying it out this spring if it ever stops snowing. Just ordered a bimini top that goes with my tower that I can store boards on the top.

I know my boat will be an awesome ski boat and a fun wakeboard boat, which suits my family just perfect.

post-11982-12662438395139_thumb.jpg

You CAN actually have the best of both worlds...well i say that. the best option would be a tower in my opinion, but some people don't like the towers on those boats, as mentioned. I had a tower, well payed the down payment, and my brother was suppose to pay the rest, and well, didn't so we lost it and i lost the 900 on the tower deposit. So i made lemonade out of lemons and did this...Was trying to figure out how to add the speakers that i already bought for the tower, to the pylon. i bought a skyrack, and started thinkin. I ended up drilling four holes for the u-bolts, and painted a thick piece of 4 foot PVC pipe. added that then added the speakers. these are old pictures, i've cleaned it up alot, and added 4 lights (two facing forward, and two facing backwards). So those of you with a pylon, its not impossible to add speakers. I've had this set up now for two years, and have NEVER had a problem with anything.

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Oh yea, and as for the water dripping down. I customized my bimini so the pylon would go through it. works great, sits where i want it to, and doesn't get anybody wet!

Edited by Sippi

Wake7_31_20087_09PM_0003.jpg

DUp.jpg

wakepics.jpg

And this is to show you can have a good wake and do some stuff behind a direct drive. Of course we do have like 2500lbs in it, but whatever works!

Edited by Sippi

Nice work Sippi. Very creative.

Preciate it! i was actually very proud of myself for it. and it works great. Its actually extremely loud too! no problems hearing it behind the boat even when you cut out. sorry the pics are so big.

• 1 month later...

I have had both and would strongly suggest the tower. If you board on a regular basis you will eventually grow out of the pole very quickly.

The pole was always in the way....I was constantly hitting my head, getting dripped on and just wasn't working. We added a tower and now have the best of both worlds. Paid less than a grand for the tower and racks (installed myself)...and it is mounted far enough foward to not effect the shortline runs.

Here is a pic. I have more.

DSC03748.jpg