Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

crew input

macdaddy

Just want the crew's opinion...I have an 05 vlx with the tribal graphics and I was wondering what the crew thought about putting the stainless steal malibu emblems over the tribal graphics. My question is how thick is the side of the boat? I know when they mount them on the back, they screw them in. Can you do this on the side? How do you think it will look? I imagine if you put them on you will have to caulk the three screw holes. Give me input. Thanks

Kraig

Edited by macdaddy

Just want the crew's opinion...I have an 05 vlx with the tribal graphics and I was wondering what the crew thought about putting the stainless steal malibu emblems over the tribal graphics. My question is how thick is the side of the boat? I know when they mount them on the back, they screw them in. Can you do this on the side? How do you think it will look? I imagine if you put them on you will have to caulk the three screw holes. Give me input. Thanks

Kraig

post a few pic of your boat and the SS emblems to get more feedback. I'm not sure of the SS emblems and their dimentions.

REW

From what I'm picturing, it won't look good.

So, you're saying this

With this in the middle?

You might have a problem with the curvature of the hull and a totally flat piece of steel. Plus, having a piece of metal screwed to the side of the hull might cause problems with docking (rubbing) and bumpers.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Macdaddy,

Personally I wouldn't do it for a lot of reasons.

1. I don't like drilling holes in my boat (especially below the rub rail).

2. Just one more thing to have to wax around.

3. Just one more piece of SS that will need polished to remove water spots.

4. I don't think it will give you the bling/good looks that you're after (IMO).

5. Pete is right (as usual) about the contour of the hull vs. flat SS. I don't think you want to try to bend a SS emblem.

Obviously, these are just my opinion, but that is what you asked for.

Oh, by the way, my boat is naked except for the SS emblems on the rear quarters so you may want to disregard my advice.

personally, i wouldn't put the stainless emblem on the side of the boat in the same way your tribal graphics are on the side.

If you want to change it up, try going naked, you can always add something if you don't like it. as with shade, my boat is naked except for the ss malibu emblems on the rear quarters.

What have you seen on other boats that you like?

Kraig

I think it's a really bad idea only because of how big and heavy they would be. Maybe you could just leave the graphics on the side and update with stainless malibu logos on the side rear and back of boat.

Thanks guys....this what I needed before I did something dumb. This is why I like this site because you have people that will always be honest. Thanks again guys... i will maybe just leave it alone.

Edited by macdaddy

Thanks guys....this what I needed before I did something dumb. This is why I like this site because you have people that will always be honest. Thanks again guys... i will maybe just leave it alone.

Not to worry, like the rest of us you, will find something dumb to do soon enough.

No sense rushing it. Whistling.gif

Oh, by the way, my boat is naked except for the SS emblems on the rear quarters so you may want to disregard my advice.

Plus1.gif

A buddy as a '07 vlx and took the stickers off, it really looks clean/sharp.

I personally don't like the tribal logo look. Not that it would ever prevent me from getting such a great boat. I personally think my 08 "M" looks like a Megatron logo, so I am sure there are just as many people that don't like that. Now I like the look of the boats without any logos on the side. I really think it is a sharp professional look that makes the boat look cleaner and attractive.

Ok so to my point, what about people that don't like the look of their logo but they want something else on their boat. Is there a company that does wraps (not sure if that is the correct term or if I made that up)? It would be interesting to see custom jobs that could be done inexpensively.

I personally don't like the tribal logo look. Not that it would ever prevent me from getting such a great boat. I personally think my 08 "M" looks like a Megatron logo, so I am sure there are just as many people that don't like that. Now I like the look of the boats without any logos on the side. I really think it is a sharp professional look that makes the boat look cleaner and attractive.

Ok so to my point, what about people that don't like the look of their logo but they want something else on their boat. Is there a company that does wraps (not sure if that is the correct term or if I made that up)? It would be interesting to see custom jobs that could be done inexpensively.

am not sure it is possible to use the words "custom" and "inexpensive" in the same sentence when talking boats. But yes wraps are available, here is a picture of two of the more famous(?) ones on this site.

WO1.JPG

Do a search on "boat wrap".

We talked about it about 1.5 yrs. ago. There was a long thread on it with lots of pics. and names of companies that do it. I just can't find it at the moment.

edit,

found it.

and, here's some ideas if you really love

Monster energy drinks

Edited by Pistol Pete

I appreciate everybody's input. I actually like the tribal look, i just always wanted a chrome malibu decal. When the SS emblem came out...I though that was the answer. I have to admit...Malibu does a nice job finding graphics to a fit a boat. Not everyone will of course like all graphics, but I think my Bu looks pretty cool. Just trying to add a little bling.

Edited by macdaddy

Yep I have an 08 that had the transformer logo on it. That lasted about 2 months before i could not stand it any longer. Peeled the sticker off and cant be happier.

Yep I have an 08 that had the transformer logo on it. That lasted about 2 months before i could not stand it any longer. Peeled the sticker off and cant be happier.

Have any pics ?

Macdaddy,

Personally I wouldn't do it for a lot of reasons.

1. I don't like drilling holes in my boat (especially below the rub rail).

2. Just one more thing to have to wax around.

3. Just one more piece of SS that will need polished to remove water spots.

4. I don't think it will give you the bling/good looks that you're after (IMO).

5. Pete is right (as usual) about the contour of the hull vs. flat SS. I don't think you want to try to bend a SS emblem.

Obviously, these are just my opinion, but that is what you asked for.

Quick bump, Shades Bu is beautiful and very tastefully done. looks great naked. I may head that way soon as the graphics are gettin a bit faded.