Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing Mud Flaps

shade

I've seen that a few members have reciever mounted mud flaps on their tow vehicles to protect their boat from rocks. I'm looking for feedback on which brand is the best and where to find the best prices.

TIA

Enkay Rock Tamers are by far the nicest ones out there IMO.

http://www.mudflaps.com/

I have these and they are nice. I bought them after taking my wifes new horse trailer down into Oregon. I ended up having to spend over 12 hours getting the tar off the whole trailer. Man, would I have been ticked off if that had been the boat. I now use these anytime I have to tow the boat or horse trailer. They are solid, sturdy, adjustable for different widths and easy to install and remove.

I bought the Rock Tamers for myself for Christmas. Got them from www.autoanything.com

Cheaper than Costco and free shipping. I think they have 10% off also. Cruiser Accessories Rock Tamers Mud Flap System

Cruiser Accessories Rock Tamers Mud Flap System

From $197.95

Free Shipping

We actually just built ours this weekend LOL. We will be doing quite a bit of driving this year to different lakes, so I want something to keep the rocks off the boat. We used a 1 inch steel pole, tractor trailer mud flaps (modified) and a U bolt and some screws and nuts. It turned out well. Mud Flap Link

We actually just built ours this weekend LOL. We will be doing quite a bit of driving this year to different lakes, so I want something to keep the rocks off the boat. We used a 1 inch steel pole, tractor trailer mud flaps (modified) and a U bolt and some screws and nuts. It turned out well. Mud Flap Link

SilverStang,

That turned out pretty good. How sturdy is it?

Shade, its extremely sturdy.... I drove it down the interstate at 70+ and then off the interstate and etc and it has not moved at all. I was pulling off a hill and the bottom rubbed just a little and it didnt change the bar at all. It honestly has not moved. Im goin to run it this week and see how it holds up. It may not be the prettiest but it works great. I looked and saw some mud I ran through on the flaps that probably would have ended up on the trailer or boat if it were attached and the flaps werent there

I use a set of the brush style guards (like you see on the back of rvs etc). Built a 1" steel support that attaches to the draw bar and has a 1/2" threaded rod so I can adjust for different situations. i.e different loads in the truck or towing with a different vehicle. With the flaps mounted to the draw bar the flaps go anywhere the boat goes. Not near them it right now for a picture but these are the flaps. Here is a link to the style I use. These won't stop a boulder but they do slow down or stop the normal sized stuff. Also we tow with a SUV and this looks a little more finished or less conspicuous than a set of mud flaps IMO.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-tow-bars-dollies/ibc-splash-guards.htm

I use a set of the brush style guards (like you see on the back of rvs etc). Built a 1" steel support that attaches to the draw bar and has a 1/2" threaded rod so I can adjust for different situations. i.e different loads in the truck or towing with a different vehicle. With the flaps mounted to the draw bar the flaps go anywhere the boat goes. Not near them it right now for a picture but these are the flaps. Here is a link to the style I use. These won't stop a boulder but they do slow down or stop the normal sized stuff. Also we tow with a SUV and this looks a little more finished or less conspicuous than a set of mud flaps IMO.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-tow-bars-dollies/ibc-splash-guards.htm

Looks like the TowTectors I use.

I also built my own set of flaps. I wasn't happy with any of the steel setups out there, so I went aluminum. I like to use it during the winter to keep the front of my snowmobile trailer clean, so the steel ones would have got rusty fast. Also, with most of teh store bought ones, didn't like the way you have to remove the hitch to get them on and off, so mine slide down from the top of the hitch, and one bolt goes through the bottom to clamp them onto the hitch. The main beam is 2" square aluminum tube with caps welded onto the ends, and the pieces that clamp the hitch are 2" aluminum angle. It's very sturdy. You can pretty much use it as a step without bending anything.

Sorry, I don't have any close up pictures of it, just this picture where my (dirty) truck was parked in the background.

Flaps.jpg