Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter Color Schemes

jeremyk

Another thought.......I asked Malibu to send gel and vinyl color swatches before I placed the order. If I had gone with the colors I picked before I saw the actual materials, I would have been very dissappointed.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremyk

• skyskier

• wakeboy

• cwkoch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another thought.......I asked Malibu to send gel and vinyl color swatches before I placed the order. If I had gone with the colors I picked before I saw the actual materials, I would have been very dissappointed.

That is a great idea.

Photos are here

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=817848

Here is some video

I was very close to leaving off the red accent on the bow. I like it much better without, but my friends thought it should be there for resale since it appealed to most of them.

Also check out Calexan's boat......all black with just two thin red stripes on the side. Best looking Bu I have seen.....ever.

Yeah, color setup looks almost the same, except I did the black deck color as well. I wanted to keep all the white off the boat.

I have a random question. Teak vs Fiberglass swim platform. What is the reasoning to have one of them vs the other? Is is strictly appearance or something else?

I once owned a boat with a fiberglass swim platform and a teak insert in the middle. To keep it looking nice the teak needed oiling every couple of weeks. I can't imagine the maintenance on an all teak swim platform.

I like the base colour of the hull to be white. I think that orange and white one looks sick. Definitely the winner in my eyes. I also like solid white(maybe a tiny accent), some people might think it is boring but it will shine on the water.

I wouldn't put black on the front of the hull as they did in this pic though.

post-11345-12659478162709_thumb.png

post-11345-12659479644274_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wakes

I like the base colour of the hull to be white. I think that orange and white one looks sick. Definitely the winner in my eyes. I also like solid white(maybe a tiny accent), some people might think it is boring but it will shine on the water.

I wouldn't put black on the front of the hull as they did in this pic though.

And this is pretty sweet but it looks like they took the pic on a less than ideal day.

P1010030.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IxySNX2KWEg/SJyQwusd8yI/AAAAAAAAAAg/VNTShUsgLoI/s1600-h/P1010030.JPG

Edited by Wakes

Yeah, color setup looks almost the same, except I did the black deck color as well. I wanted to keep all the white off the boat.

My deck is moonbeam, not white. Sorta greyish white. I did that so there would be a place to put bare feet when boarding the boat. All black would definitely look better, but there is no way you step there on a hot day. I would be careful with that one.

I used moonbeam on the interior as well. My last boat had white interior. I will not make that mistake again.

Edited by skyskier

So I have one vote for the Orange and White. Anyone else think that boat looks good and would have decent resell value?

Also, I hear that dark vinyl get H O T!!! What about dark paint? Some of the other schemes we are looking at include Reuben and Midnight Blue and that would be along the top of the deck and want to make sure feet and arms don't get burned when stepping on it or leaning on it.

So I have one vote for the Orange and White. Anyone else think that boat looks good and would have decent resell value?

Also, I hear that dark vinyl get H O T!!! What about dark paint? Some of the other schemes we are looking at include Reuben and Midnight Blue and that would be along the top of the deck and want to make sure feet and arms don't get burned when stepping on it or leaning on it.

I think it depends on your weather pattern. Where i'm at you will see 90% of the boats with light interior actual gel coat colors don't make it that different temperature wise. I would lean toward a white top cap no matter what scheme you pick. It will hide consequential damage wakeboards surfboards will make contact. Myself i'm a black and white guy works good for resale. You will have a much bigger group of people who like black blues etc. Than the orange greens and vapor blues. Which don't get me wrong look great. Another thing what looks killer in the parking lot doesn't always pop on the water. I cant believe the amount of people who compliment my current boat on the water then see it on the trailer and say it cant be the same boat. Good luck with your endeavor i wore out ispec trying to figure mine out Whistling.gif

Edited by CRASH

I'm a big fan of the all white one pictured earlier in this thread. For me, it's really classy.

My last boat had a dark blue gel coat deck on the area that boarding usually occured and it literally burned more than one person's foot - I'm glad my '05 RLXi has white all around the top of the deck. The dark blue seating in my old Gilflite Shortline was upholstered in velour fabric and heat wasn't a problem but with the all vinyl Malibu interior, colour selection is very important. Some of my RLXi interior is a light tan colour and that easily gets too hot to stand on in the sun. The bulk of my interior is a cream colour and works very well.

Of course, colour choice is, apart from the practicalities of cleaning and potential for burning skin, an entirely subjective and personal affair. To me, most Wake Setters look far too 'busy' with patches of colour all over the place but, obviously, most owners prefer their boats that way. In the end, you should get what YOU and your family WANT to have!

Enjoy!

I once owned a boat with a fiberglass swim platform and a teak insert in the middle. To keep it looking nice the teak needed oiling every couple of weeks. I can't imagine the maintenance on an all teak swim platform.

Wow, I have only had teak swim platforms and I have never had to do any maintenance on any of mine, short of tightening one down that wa a little loose. Mine right now looks great and I have never oiled it or even thought about oiling it. If I had to oil my platform I would most likely make the switch to a fiberglass one.

Is this a common issue, oiling your teak platforms?

Wow, I have only had teak swim platforms and I have never had to do any maintenance on any of mine, short of tightening one down that wa a little loose. Mine right now looks great and I have never oiled it or even thought about oiling it. If I had to oil my platform I would most likely make the switch to a fiberglass one.

Are you serious? Teak platforms are very high maintenance, they have to be sanded and oiled every year. I had one once and never again.

Our last boat had a teak platform. It looked great when oiled, but after about 6 months (especially in the AZ sun) it looked worn. If given an choice, I would choose fiberglass (no maintenance).

Are you serious? Teak platforms are very high maintenance, they have to be sanded and oiled every year. I had one once and never again.

Depends on what you want it to look like. I haven't touched mine in at least 3 years. Does it look all shiny and new... nope. Doesn't need to. All personal preference.

Depends on what you want it to look like. I haven't touched mine in at least 3 years. Does it look all shiny and new... nope. Doesn't need to. All personal preference.

More like just an example of being lazy....Tongue.gif

More like just an example of being lazy....Tongue.gif

There are some of us who prefer the gray-ish look of a classically aged teak platform. Plus... I'd rather be skiing than cleaning! Yes.gif

What does your platform look like? Should be a nice golden tan or brownish color. No offense but I'm guessing you're probably not aware of how it should look. Running a search should give you some pics. Even an 08 would have faded and turned greyish by now without any maintenance.

I just wipe a light coat of teak oil on mine every week or two. Takes about 2 minutes and keeps it looking good all year. If I let it go, it does get grungy looking. To keep it on topic, I bought my boat used so color choice was limited but I would go about the same again if I could order new.

I think the condition of the teak depends on your cover as well. My boat sits on lift with the cover the hooks under the platform, and I oil the teak once per summer, 20 minutes top. I haven't had to sand it yet.

I like the teak, because I'm in to woodworking, but if I bought new, I'd buy a shiny, matching fiberglass platform.