Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter Color Schemes

jeremyk

I am in the process of trying to pic a color scheme for a 2010 23 LSV and am having a creative block. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on choosing colors for all the different Hull and Deck components as well as the interior components? Any pictures of boats with a really cool scheme that you love? I'd also like to keep in mind resale down the road and not get too crazy. But I also don't want to be just another clone of every other Bu on the lake.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremyk

• skyskier

• wakeboy

• cwkoch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am in the process of trying to pic a color scheme for a 2010 23 LSV and am having a creative block. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on choosing colors for all the different Hull and Deck components as well as the interior components? Any pictures of boats with a really cool scheme that you love? I'd also like to keep in mind resale down the road and not get too crazy. But I also don't want to be just another clone of every other Bu on the lake.

The only thing I will say is to keep the interior light, even the bead on the vynial (sp) can cause burns on a sunny day.

The only thing I will say is to keep the interior light, even the bead on the vynial (sp) can cause burns on a sunny day.

Plus1.gif and btw it's vinyl Biggrin.gif

Have you tried building a boat on the malibuboats.com website, I think you can still do that. Or you could just do a nationwide search on boattrader or onlyinboards for late model malibus to see what you like, print it off, and take it in to your dealer.

I have heard the dark colors look good on the road/trailer, while bright colors look good on the water...I think that tends to hold true. I wanted my boat to have as little white as possible...so we have all black and gray...Personally I love it, but I am sure some don't...A warning with block, have your cleaning solution of choice ready for the waterspots!

http://picasaweb.google.com/dpenkivech/2008VTX?authkey=Gv1sRgCNem76vj6-fnDw&feat=directlink

Edited by hattric73

That is a great looking boat. Mine is white and blue, with some black accents. Mainly white though. Makes cleaning my boat easier since I don't have to work as hard to keep it looking nice.

I had a black car once, and nothing looks better than black when it is clean. It is just a lot of work to keep it that way.

Plus1.gif and btw it's vinyl Biggrin.gif

Have you tried building a boat on the malibuboats.com website, I think you can still do that. Or you could just do a nationwide search on boattrader or onlyinboards for late model malibus to see what you like, print it off, and take it in to your dealer.

I learned to fly because of my lack of spelling ability.

I played a while on the Malibu site, but couldn't come up with anything I liked. I went out to boat trader and just went through all of the new boats that were listed to get ideas of what I liked. This is what we came up with and we really like it:

IMG_0687.jpg

Terry

Mine is similar to yours. Actually mine has a little less blue on the sides and no black on the sides, but overall same color scheme in general. Plus mine is a 2008 VLX so it is a little different anyways. Also, bought mine used so I didn't have a choice other than buying a very similar red one, but I like the White, Blue, and Black better. It blends in more since it is traditional colors, but I don't really want to stand out that much. Maybe my next boat will be new and then I may go a little crazy with the colors.

I will say that people still come over to my boat and tell me how much they love it. I have heard a lot of "your boat is my favorite boat on the lake" or something to that degree. I credit it more to the malibu designers that created such a beautiful boat that flows well together, is graceful on the water, and I think the illusion tower is eye catching compared to most other towers that all pretty much look the same. It is honestly pretty tough to find a bad looking malibu.

I played a while on the Malibu site, but couldn't come up with anything I liked. I went out to boat trader and just went through all of the new boats that were listed to get ideas of what I liked. This is what we came up with and we really like it:

IMG_0687.jpg

Terry

very nice I love what you came up with.

Just a few suggestions stemming from my boat ownership. Keep the hull white on teh bottom, this will help keep the boat looking clean and avoid the unsightly rock dings that are almost inevitable. Stay away from white interior, go with something just a shade or two darker like Moonbeam. Picking colors is very hard, best thing to do is go on boattrader or websites like that and see how colors look on boats and come up with your own variation to keep it original. When ordering your own boat you have to opportunity to have something original and not something the dealer ordered 4 of. Darker colors always sell better down the road in my experience. Blacks, navy blue, etc.. sell way better than yellow, orange, light grey, etc..

Here are a couple pics of my boat for example. I'm not saying order what I have just giving you more expamples of options.

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/jeremyayoung/Newboat3.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/jeremyayoung/Newboat4.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/jeremyayoung/Newboat2.jpg

Definitely one of a kind. I like it. :)

Damn....I just noticed it looks almost the same as your boat. The gel patterns must be very similar between the VTX and the LSV. Do you have any more pictures of your boat?

I have a random question. Teak vs Fiberglass swim platform. What is the reasoning to have one of them vs the other? Is is strictly appearance or something else?

Most like the fibeglass platforms due to the lack of maintenance it requires compared to teak, others prefer the classic look of wood. Neither is better than the the other strickly a preference.

I have a random question. Teak vs Fiberglass swim platform. What is the reasoning to have one of them vs the other? Is is strictly appearance or something else?

Malibu doens't even offer a teak platform anymore. Fiberglass only. I'm not sure why, but probably to simplfy things.

When I was setting up my boat, I told the dealer that just wasn't going to work. Being a hydrofoiler, we're pretty tough on platforms. Sliding the ski onto the platform to get on the ski typically beats the hell out of the side of the platform. Teak just dents a little, but fiberglass chips and looks really bad. My dealer was able to order me a teak platform afterall....

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have been playing with iSpec on malibu's site and just couldn't piece together anything that wowed me. But now I am thinking maybe it was the time of day because now that I am looking at these same pics in daylight (both online and in mags) the colors are looking a lot better.

The wife really likes the Orange and White or Orange and Black combo as seen on Flickr. What are your thoughts on it?

3808373699_51b4a3b427.jpg

Also, are there any colors that really don't work? Especially for the interior? Someone made a comment earlier about not using dark colors on vinyl and I thought that was a good point that I hadn't considered.

Damn....I just noticed it looks almost the same as your boat. The gel patterns must be very similar between the VTX and the LSV. Do you have any more pictures of your boat?

Photos are here

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=817848

Here is some video

I was very close to leaving off the red accent on the bow. I like it much better without, but my friends thought it should be there for resale since it appealed to most of them.

Also check out Calexan's boat......all black with just two thin red stripes on the side. Best looking Bu I have seen.....ever.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have been playing with iSpec on malibu's site and just couldn't piece together anything that wowed me. But now I am thinking maybe it was the time of day because now that I am looking at these same pics in daylight (both online and in mags) the colors are looking a lot better.

The wife really likes the Orange and White or Orange and Black combo as seen on Flickr. What are your thoughts on it?

3808373699_51b4a3b427.jpg

Also, are there any colors that really don't work? Especially for the interior? Someone made a comment earlier about not using dark colors on vinyl and I thought that was a good point that I hadn't considered.

Check my photos for my interior colors. I kept the vinyl that will touch bare skin light and went progressively darker as it gets away from the bare skin zone. The surface temp goes up dramatically as the vinyl gets darker. We learned where to step and where not to. I would order the same colors again. A black boat just needs some dark vinyl somewhere.

Something to be aware of......in 2008 the red interior accent package included red on the dash and the panel where the throttle is. That was just way too much for me. I asked them to do the red accent package without those items. I don't know what the deal is for 2010.