Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help finding all around boat

JKevinM

Some of the posts here have raised a new question: will I be disappointed with the wake from a new (2010) Response LXi (versus a pre-2007)?

Disappointed? Perhaps. Would you notice a difference. You betcha.

I have skied behind pre-2007 RLXi and behind RLXi after 2006. The difference in the wake for footing is night and day. Even the curl puts out more chop than pre 2007 models. Crossing the wake while footing behind newer RLXi's is a challenge as well.

By the way, I've footed behind a newer RLXi that even had a SSP(barefoot plate) and it does not hardly help the wake flatten out much at all.

As for slalom, there is not a huge difference.

So, as you said in your initial post, you want to foot more. If I were you, given that bit of info, would stay away from any RLXi newer than 2006.

Now, if I compare my RLX barefooter to all this mess, I can cross it's wake with my eyes closed.

Here's a few videos of my wake. Try not to drool too much....haha

My buddy Chad slalom skiing: I think this is 28off

Me tumble up then attempted to cross wake on one foot.

Edited by areamike

That wake looks sweet. That is a 2002 Response?

Yes. Same boat in my bio. It has the barefooters package

judges seats. rear facing speedo and SSP(barefoot plate) Even without the barefoot plate, the wake is still pretty sweet.

Here's a couple more videos

Me and my buddy tandem foot run attempting a 20 minute run.

Me stepping off

Edited by areamike

In summary then, newer than 2006 is not ideal for barefooting. If I'm looking for a new inboard for barefooting (& other watersports), do I buy a MC X-7? How does the barefoot wake of a new MC X-7 compare to the Response (pre and post 2006)?

In summary then, newer than 2006 is not ideal for barefooting. If I'm looking for a new inboard for barefooting (& other watersports), do I buy a MC X-7? How does the barefoot wake of a new MC X-7 compare to the Response (pre and post 2006)?

I only ski behind an old Prostar 190, so I can't tell you much about the MC X-7 aka Prostar 197.

From what I have read, however, the MC X7 wake is terrible for footing. Keith St. Onge actually worked with MC to develop a wake suppression plate but it pretty much tanked.

You might try asking the guys over at teamtalk for more information

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/

Oh, and here is a review of the Prostar 197. I'm not sure how much they changed the hull since then, if at all.

http://www.barefootcentral.info/Boat_Review/boatreview_Frame_Mastercraft197.htm

Edited by areamike

I think this thread is titled wrong. It should be "Need help finding a killer barefoot boat". The fact is you can wakeboard behind just about anything, you are only sacrificing the level of wake depending on what you choose, but you can't barefoot behind just about anything.

By the way the 2006 RLXI that AreaMike originally linked cjohnson8080's boat is a barefoot edition if that makes a difference to you.

06 is correct.

Barefoot Edition means it has the supped up motor. Judges or jump seats. SSP barefoot plate. I don't know if it has the rear facing speedo or not. Mine does.

It also has the all cool BAREFOOTER drip molded decal! Rockon.gif

Also, even though my boat is a barefoot edition, it can still throw a decent Wakeboard wake. Not too good for surfing, but it is more than ample for Wakeboarding.

For my needs, I can do without a suped up motor, judges or jump seat, and cool decals. Is the barefoot plate essential, though, and does that eliminate the wedge (which I assume is necessary for wakeboarding)?

Based on everyone's posts, I think MalibuTime is probably right. My main focus needs to be finding a sweet wake for barefooting, as any LXi (or MC X-7/197) should be decent for slalom skiing. I just need to keep it a little versatile for family use (i.e., a tower)

Edited by JKevinM

For my needs, I can do without a suped up motor, judges or jump seat, and cool decals. Is the barefoot plate essential, though, and does that eliminate the wedge (which I assume is necessary for wakeboarding)?

It does eliminate the wedge but cjohnson8080's has the wedge and not the barefoot plate.

Wedge is not "necessary" for Wakeboarding, but it does help. The barefoot plate is not necessary for footing, but it does help. If you plan to do more footing then I would have to recommend the Hammerhead engine. It's less work for that motor. Rather than having a 320lcr or 340 monsoon which you would be running at WOT more often. I never have to run my boat at WOT, even when pulling a 200+lb footer doing one foots.

To be honest, I never have my judges/jump seats in my boat. Nor do I have the back seat in there...unless I plan to take a few people for a little cruise. But then again, my boat is not for cruising. HA.