Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing in a Malibu

Roostergolf

I did miss your point, & I agree. I will say 2 things about that though:

1. The 23' will not surf as well stock for stock, same crew for same crew as the VLX. It might not be a huge difference, but there will be a difference.

2. Surfing & dialing in the perfect wave is like crack - it's very addictive, & most people find that even though stock will get the job done, bigger really is better. Once you start adding weight, even a little bit here and there, it becomes a very slippery slope. ;)

wakeboy,

Try that setup with no weight in the offside tank. That weight is working against the very thing that you're working to create, & most times it makes it harder to clean up the wave. In my VLX, it was very much that way, & it's basically the same boat. You don't want any weight on that offside if you can help it.

I got out today for the firsy time as i finally have enough hours on the motor to load up the ballast. the boat is smaller 21', I had three dads (all of us 210 plus and about 9 little kids. center balast, rear 500lbs and the wedge down, 4 kids in bow (8 yr olds) and the wake was awesome........ (for a small boat :-))......

• 3 weeks later...

I did miss your point, & I agree. I will say 2 things about that though:

1. The 23' will not surf as well stock for stock, same crew for same crew as the VLX. It might not be a huge difference, but there will be a difference.

2. Surfing & dialing in the perfect wave is like crack - it's very addictive, & most people find that even though stock will get the job done, bigger really is better. Once you start adding weight, even a little bit here and there, it becomes a very slippery slope. ;)

wakeboy,

Try that setup with no weight in the offside tank. That weight is working against the very thing that you're working to create, & most times it makes it harder to clean up the wave. In my VLX, it was very much that way, & it's basically the same boat. You don't want any weight on that offside if you can help it.

I have found a good surf wake on a session then we switch riders or break and then come out to mush and we can't figure it out. Is there a certain equation that will give you the surf wake? I need to know... ugh; wasted so much time last summer. yeah yeah newbie,I know.

I have found a good surf wake on a session then we switch riders or break and then come out to mush and we can't figure it out. Is there a certain equation that will give you the surf wake? I need to know... ugh; wasted so much time last summer. yeah yeah newbie,I know.

If nothing changed but the rider it has to be the way people are seated in the boat.

Yea people are probably changing seats. Make sure everybody but the rider and new rider stay in their respective seats.

Generally we have 5 people. So we have the driver, then ballast on the port side of the boat, and 3 people sitting on the port side. Rider out on the port side of the swim deck and then a rope handler on the port side of engine cover, they just sit there and catch the rope for the newer riders and whatnot, offer advice.

Old rider swaps out with new rider, and takes their seat.

Wave never changes.

If nothing changed but the rider it has to be the way people are seated in the boat.

It is definitely the people. My Vtx can make a great wave and then someone moves and it goes to he77 in a handbasket.

Yea people are probably changing seats. Make sure everybody but the rider and new rider stay in their respective seats.

Generally we have 5 people. So we have the driver, then ballast on the port side of the boat, and 3 people sitting on the port side. Rider out on the port side of the swim deck and then a rope handler on the port side of engine cover, they just sit there and catch the rope for the newer riders and whatnot, offer advice.

Old rider swaps out with new rider, and takes their seat.

Wave never changes.

Alright! that's what I was looking for, thanks. Is there a recommendation to fill the center tank or have anyone in the front of the boat? Again I have a VLX if the hull matters.

Alright! that's what I was looking for, thanks. Is there a recommendation to fill the center tank or have anyone in the front of the boat? Again I have a VLX if the hull matters.

Yes you absolutely need bow weight for the surf wave. Center and bow tank should be full. Bow weight for surfing is especially important on the Wake Hull.