Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrade Perfect Pass advice

areamike

Well, I have been reading through a ton of threads. I currently have the Perfect Pass Digital Pro v6.4 with the single line display with analog tach.

Last summer, the digital display was having major issues. It would flicker some weird characters, sometimes the buttons would not work etc. I tried unplugging things to checks for corrosion etc. Nothing I did seems to have fixed the issue.

I finally decided that I might as well upgrade the gauge and see how that goes. I have been emailing Perfect Pass sales back and forth the last few days and here is what they say.

We like to match our gauge to what you already have in the boat. You should have 5" Black Face, Black Bezel. The gauge will work with either system, no problem with that at all. I believe you must have the single line version of gauge so you will also need a software chip to enable your new gauge to work with the rest of your system. The single-line software will not run the new multi-line displays and that is in production now. The cost of the software chip is $65 USD

So, the gauge will cost $199 USD, Software chip $65 USD plus $35 USD for shipping by Fed Ex. Not sure if you have a ski buddy who may have a chip extractor tool and if not, you should consider purchasing one for $12 USD because it makes the chip change in the Master Module go nice and smoothly. Some like to pry them out with a screw driver but that will always damage the metal tines around the edge of the chip holder and they end up spending much more money that the tool would have cost.

So, just to upgrade this thing I need to fork out 311.00 smackers. Dang!!?! I don't really have a problem with that, however, my Wife will. She's my nemesis when it comes to buying ANYTHING for my boat. Convincing her I needed a new prop last year was equivalent to pulling teeth.

Any advice? I have not even mentioned it to her yet as I already know what she is going to say. Mad.gif

Funny thing my Wife. Unless it is her idea, it's a bad idea.

P.S. I read one topic where someone bought a new gauge and chip and tool a year or so ago. PP had a special at the time and he got the upgrade chip included free. That would be a plus.

Just tell her that with the preset skiers she won't have to enter so much data. That you are doing it for her.

I did the upgrade late last year, from a single line display and v6.3 to the multi-line display with the latest chip, v6.5ng (?). Also bought a switch on Ski it again at a hell of a price. Wish I would have done it all sooner.

Edited by LakeOneSkier

Just tell her that with the preset skiers she won't have to enter so much data. That you are doing it for her.

I did the upgrade late last year, from a single line display and v6.3 to the multi-line display with the latest chip, v6.5ng (?). Also bought a switch on Ski it again at a hell of a price. Wish I would have done it all sooner.

Good deal. What's a switch? Slalom switch? What's the purpose?

If I could convince her to drive more then I might have a better leg to stand on. She has never even pulled me skiing. She's too scared. :unsure:

Last year was the first time she ever pulled the boat out of the lift and drove it back in. The only reason she did was because I refused to. I said, "it's time for you to learn" and just sat there drinking my beer. Beer.gif

This looks like what you want/need. ebay and for a cool $200.

Sweet. Good find Paul. I've been watching ebay for a few days now. No bezel? Can I use the bezel from my old gauge I wonder? I'll have to ask the guy if it is the 6.5ng or not.

OKAY...here's how much I hate confrontation. I emailed the wife to ask her if it's ok for me to order a new PP gauge and chip. LMAO.

Where the heck is that Man Card? I think it's in her purse. Baby.gif

"Sometimes its easier to ask for forgiveness then permission" . ...Or another suggestion...tell her you think you may be able to upgrade to Zero Off for around $3500. When she balks, act like a hero for finding the $300 compromise.

By the way, I have the same version PP, and my (dual) gauge is on the way out... the needle portion is dead. Mine has the black bezel. PP quoted me the same $265 plus $35 shipping. The readout on the new gauge looks much larger...a good thing.

To me, the one of ebay appears to have a silver bezel. If to proceed, you might want to clarify. I would think there would have to be some type of bezel on it. I'd be a little concerned with the availability of PP customer service if you should need it...after buying it on ebay.

I haven't decided whether I'm to pull the trigger on the new one. If so, fortunately I won't be asking permission or forgiveness.

Edited by davemac

"Sometimes its easier to ask for forgiveness then permission" . ...Or another suggestion...tell her you think you may be able to upgrade to Zero Off for around $3500. When she balks, act like a hero for finding the $300 compromise.

By the way, I have the same version PP, and my (dual) gauge is on the way out... the needle portion is dead. Mine has the black bezel. PP quoted me the same $265 plus $35 shipping. The readout on the new gauge looks much larger...a good thing.

To me, the one of ebay appears to have a silver bezel. If to proceed, you might want to clarify. I would think there would have to be some type of bezel on it. I'd be a little concerned with the availability of PP customer service if you should need it...after buying it on ebay.

I haven't decided whether I'm to pull the trigger on the new one. If so, fortunately I won't be asking permission or forgiveness.

Ahh someone who can relate.

The one on Ebay has the 6.5ng chip. As for the bezel, I dunno.

I think I am going to go ahead with the one from PP direct. I have been back and forth with emails and they are really working with me. I won't say they are giving me a "deal" but they are willing to be flexible.

Mike, Just a Hedzup..... I have limited knowledge of the Perfect Pass, but note that you currently have (the "3 event") Digital Pro that I have. The one on ebay looks to be the Wakeboard Pro. Before jumping on it, you may want to make sure upgrade is compatible and that Wakeboard Pro has the features you want. I'm not sure of all , if any, of the differences, but someone may chime in.

I think I am going to go ahead with the one from PP direct.

I think you are making the right decision. IMO, its worth the Benjamin to make sure you are getting both what you want and need. Also, have heard good things about their customer service. If you pull the trigger, let me know how simple the install goes (I may be right behind you).

I think you are making the right decision. IMO, its worth the Benjamin to make sure you are getting both what you want and need. Also, have heard good things about their customer service. If you pull the trigger, let me know how simple the install goes (I may be right behind you).

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

I am planning to take a bunch of pics of my endeavor. Thumbup.gif

Mike, because it is you, i will sell you a multi line display for $60.00usd, it is brand new. all you need is the chip. When i upgraded, it was new and i had some interference problems. Bought another one to see if it was the gauge (it wasn't) and never sent it back for refund. Just be careful not to run the wiring too close to the other wiring going to the dash (that was the problem).

it is the one on the left.

3941348660_76ae0ef791_b.jpg

Edited by Cervelo

Mike, Just a Hedzup..... I have limited knowledge of the Perfect Pass, but note that you currently have (the "3 event") Digital Pro that I have. The one on ebay looks to be the Wakeboard Pro. Before jumping on it, you may want to make sure upgrade is compatible and that Wakeboard Pro has the features you want. I'm not sure of all , if any, of the differences, but someone may chime in.

Dave, I may be wrong, and someone will correct me if I am. But, I think the difference in Wakeboard Pro and Digital Pro is controlled by the master module box and not the 6.5ng chip.

Like this:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA08833

Huge thanks to cervelo. Thumbup.gif I knew them Canadians were OK. Tease.gif

I'm getting the multi-line gauge from him and the 6.5ng chip from Perfect Pass direct.

By they way. Perfect Pass is a great company to work with. They were very helpful and actually gave me a cheaper shipping option. Since I don't need the parts right away, they are shipping via snail mail. Which saved me over 25 bucks in shipping costs.

I highly recommend contacting them direct through email or phone call. I dealt with a lady named Carol Joyce. Also, they are based in Canada....not a bad thing. I just did not know that.

She also clarified that the difference in Wakeboard Pro and Digital Pro is controlled by the master module, not the software chip.

I'll update this thread with my installation information once I cross that bridge

Please like you'll be doing the install anyway.

FWIW the multi-line display is pretty sweet, its nice to have the large display that shows speed and RPM.

-Chris

FWIW the multi-line display is pretty sweet, its nice to have the large display that shows speed and RPM.

-Chris

Are there any additional features I can start to get excited about it has that the single line does not and that the 6.5ng software will give me?

I was going to suggest this, but Dave beat me to it. :lol:

Glad to hear that you are getting what you need to make everything work out. Keep us updated on how the upgrade goes. (And FWIW, I've had dealings in the past with Perfect Pass & have absolutely nothing but good things to say about them. Great company, run by great peeps.)

-Chris

What up Brotha Chris? Good to know (now) that I haven't exhausted all my tech favors from you.... I figured I'd need to notch another assist on one of your sales.

I guess I can start expanding my Spring "to-do" list now.

I'll update this thread with my installation information once I cross that bridge

Please do update us, Mike (and thx for the help the other day).

-Dave

Edited by davemac

PPass is a great company. I had the opportunity to meet one of the guys that had worked on the initial project while I worked in NYC. He was down from Halifax for some business meetings that we had together. He has since connected me with some of the others at PPass and I have to say, I have been very pleased with my experience with them and with their products! I just put the StarGazer Wake edition on last year. Absolutely love it!

• 4 weeks later...

OKAY. I am trying to get my dash out so I can get to the gauge so I can get a jump start on replacing it. I can't seem to get the dash off.

I took out the screw on the front where the malibu plate is(two screws)

Took out one screw on underside above middle gauge and three screws on top of dash. I still cannot seem to get it out.

Anyone ever removed their dash before on a similar type dash boat?