Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Size of alternator

I've mentioned this before but never really good a definite answer. What size alternator should be in my vride? I looked at it a while back and the sticker said 95A on it. I was thinking that's bigger than stock, which might explain why I never have to charge my batteries throughout the season...??? I've heard many say that you can't rely on the alternator to charge the batteries but I've never had an issue and was thinking this might be why, what are you thoughts?

TIA,

Nate

I've mentioned this before but never really good a definite answer. What size alternator should be in my vride? I looked at it a while back and the sticker said 95A on it. I was thinking that's bigger than stock, which might explain why I never have to charge my batteries throughout the season...??? I've heard many say that you can't rely on the alternator to charge the batteries but I've never had an issue and was thinking this might be why, what are you thoughts?

TIA,

Nate

The alternator could potentially shorten the life of deep cycle batteries if it's the only method of upkeep. Batteries need to be charged in 3 phases. Bulk, absorbtion, float. The alternator may do a good job of bulk charging it depending on what their state of charge is but it doesn't do anything for the other two steps which are important to keep them working up to their full potential.

Here is a exerpt from Batterystuff.com on battery charging.

Remember you must put back the energy you use immediately. If you don't the battery sulfates and that affects performance and longevity. The alternator is a battery charger. It works well if the battery is not deeply discharged. The alternator tends to overcharge batteries that are very low and the overcharge can damage batteries. In fact an engine starting battery on average has only about 10 deep cycles available when recharged by an alternator. Batteries like to be charged in a certain way, especially when they have been deeply discharged. This type of charging is called 3 step regulated charging. Please note that only special SMART CHARGERS using computer technology can perform 3 step charging techniques. You don't find these types of chargers in parts stores and Wal-Marts. The first step is bulk charging where up to 80% of the battery energy capacity is replaced by the charger at the maximum voltage and current amp rating of the charger. When the battery voltage reaches 14.4 volts this begins the absorption charge step. This is where the voltage is held at a constant 14.4 volts and the current (amps) declines until the battery is 98% charged. Next comes the Float Step. This is a regulated voltage of not more than 13.4 volts and usually less than 1 amp of current. This in time will bring the battery to 100% charged or close to it. The float charge will not boil or heat batteries but will maintain the batteries at 100% readiness and prevent cycling during long term inactivity. Some Gel Cell and AGM batteries may require special settings or chargers.

The alternator could potentially shorten the life of deep cycle batteries if it's the only method of upkeep. Batteries need to be charged in 3 phases. Bulk, absorbtion, float. The alternator may do a good job of bulk charging it depending on what their state of charge is but it doesn't do anything for the other two steps which are important to keep them working up to their full potential.

Remember you must put back the energy you use immediately. If you don't the battery sulfates and that affects performance and longevity. The alternator is a battery charger. It works well if the battery is not deeply discharged. The alternator tends to overcharge batteries that are very low and the overcharge can damage batteries. In fact an engine starting battery on average has only about 10 deep cycles available when recharged by an alternator. Batteries like to be charged in a certain way, especially when they have been deeply discharged. This type of charging is called 3 step regulated charging. Please note that only special SMART CHARGERS using computer technology can perform 3 step charging techniques. You don't find these types of chargers in parts stores and Wal-Marts. The first step is bulk charging where up to 80% of the battery energy capacity is replaced by the charger at the maximum voltage and current amp rating of the charger. When the battery voltage reaches 14.4 volts this begins the absorption charge step. This is where the voltage is held at a constant 14.4 volts and the current (amps) declines until the battery is 98% charged. Next comes the Float Step. This is a regulated voltage of not more than 13.4 volts and usually less than 1 amp of current. This in time will bring the battery to 100% charged or close to it. The float charge will not boil or heat batteries but will maintain the batteries at 100% readiness and prevent cycling during long term inactivity. Some Gel Cell and AGM batteries may require special settings or chargers.

Makes sense thanks 06, I would still like to see a couple more people verify that 95 amps is stock or did the previous owner put a new one in..

Great post, 06VLX.

Do you know if the Promariner onboard charger is sophisticated enough to charge the batts in all three stages?

Edited by mcbean7

Great post, 06VLX.

Do you know if the Promariner onboard charger is sophisticated enough to charge the batts in all three stages?

Yes it is a 3 stage charger, and a good one at that.