Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thank Goodness Everyone is OK

mcbean7

There is a quote in the news story that says the "maroon Cadillac" that started it was NOT insured, maybe they found some at home??? lol

Or maybe the news had a problem getting the facts right. Bash.gif

No bones about it though.... they are going to need a LOT of insurance to cover all the damage to all those cars, trucks & boat.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I guess the rear straps didn't help. I wonder what gave out, the U bolts front and back or form the pictures it looks like the rear strap is payed out so I would think the locking mechanism failed too. Also since the truck was hit in the rear the car might have impacted the front of the boat, but I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Ken mentioned in the thread that the hooks on the rear straps bent and straightened out and the front winch strap broke. Looks like the locking mechanism worked fine, just the hook wasn't strong enough to not bend.

I wouldn't expect anything short of a heavy duty chain to hold up to that kind of force that must have been involved in that accident. That's not what the straps are made for in my opinion.

Edited by jtrovato

It may have been a blessing that the boat came off in this case. Had the boat stayed on the trailer and caused the rig to roll then who knows what could have happened.

I agree that this is not what the straps are intended for. And the truck didnt hit the boat on the first impact but when i spoke with ken he said that on the first 360 they did the boat made contact with the truck that hit them. So he got hit by the caddy, then hit Ken, then got hit by Ken as he was spinning. you couldnt script this stuff for a movie any crazier then that.

Just happy that Ken, Andrea and Romeo where all ok!! looking forward to seing the new 240enzo!!

Wow, talk about a crazy series of events. I don't even know where my head would be right after having gone through this. Good to hear everyone was OK and there's at least some insurance coverage to help make everyone whole again.

For sure...this is why I have a separate blanket liability policy up to $500K. Cause you never know...esp with the crazy drivers we have here in Houston.

As Ken found the hard way, Houston also has one of the highest if not THE highest uninsured motorist rate in the US.

Edited by Ramman17

This event makes me want to go back and check my insurance policy.

Like TxWakeJunkie said, you couldn't write a crazier script than this.

I was involved in a car accident many years ago involving black ice. I did several 360's before ending up in a ditch. I'll remember that feeling of being out of control and scared $@%^less for as long as I'll live. I cannot imagine the same thing happening with my Bu attached to the back of the vehicle!

Like many previous posts have said, most things can be repaired/replaced. Thank goodness Ken, his family, or other motorists were not hurt.

For sure...this is why I have a separate blanket liability policy up to $500K. Cause you never know...esp with the crazy drivers we have here in Houston.

As Ken found the hard way, Houston also has one of the highest if not THE highest uninsured motorist rate in the US.

If this statement is true, I don't think Phoenix is too far behind. I was thinking Phoenix was the highest.

If this statement is true, I don't think Phoenix is too far behind. I was thinking Phoenix was the highest.

Once again CA is amonst the leaders...this time not in a good way

Estimated Percentage of Uninsured Motorists by State in 2004

Mississippi 26% Oklahoma 15% Virginia 10%

Alabama 25 Rhode Island 14 West Virginia 10

California 25 Wisconsin 14 Pennsylvania 10

New Mexico 24 Arkansas 14 South Carolina 10

Arizona 22 Hawaii 13 Georgia 10

Tennessee 21 Kansas 13 New Jersey 9

Dist. of Col. 21 Montana 12 Utah 9

Florida 19 Iowa 12 Idaho 9

Washington 18 Oregon 12 South Dakota 9

Nevada 17 Missouri 12 New Hampshire 9

Michigan 17 Maryland 12 North Dakota 9

Texas 16 Connecticut 12 North Carolina 8

Illinois 16 Kentucky 12 Nebraska 8

Indiana 16 Delaware 12 New York 7

Ohio 15 Wyoming 11 Massachusetts 6

Alaska 15 Minnesota 10 Vermont 6

Colorado 15 Louisiana 10 Maine 4

Source: Insurance Research Council

I wonder if this was all staged so he could get a 247 Biggrin.gif

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif, just spit on the screen, thanks... :)

TA...DAH!!! now let's see a 247 do that... Whistling.gif

Seriuosly the out pour of concern is greatly appricated by both Andrea and I, great to know we have so many caring friends in the boating community. I have tried to reply several times but, believe it or not have just been at a loss for words. A little out of it since the shock has worn off and the fact of dealing with everything has set in.

Again the show of concern has been fantastic and surely helped through this dark time of boating for us, thank you again each and everyone of you from Andrea, Romeo and myself, we are just glad to be safe and will be back on the water before you know it!

Rhino thanks again for everything, ohh and you can now offically say you have a better wakesurf wake than us...at least until we are back on the water...Surfing.gif

You and your family need to thank someone watching out for you guys! Ive had some close calls myself in that same area of 45. Hope you get the insurance thing resolved.

Looked like the ratchiting kind, they are visable in the top pic. Does make you wonder if they are strong enough though.

the hooks on the straps were straightened

TA...DAH!!! now let's see a 247 do that... Whistling.gif

Seriuosly the out pour of concern is greatly appricated by both Andrea and I, great to know we have so many caring friends in the boating community. I have tried to reply several times but, believe it or not have just been at a loss for words. A little out of it since the shock has worn off and the fact of dealing with everything has set in.

Again the show of concern has been fantastic and surely helped through this dark time of boating for us, thank you again each and everyone of you from Andrea, Romeo and myself, we are just glad to be safe and will be back on the water before you know it!

Rhino thanks again for everything, ohh and you can now offically say you have a better wakesurf wake than us...at least until we are back on the water...Surfing.gif

Thats what friends do bro.

And you sir are stuck riding the mushy malibu wave created by blue thunder until your new rig is ready. Cheers!!!!! Cry.gif

and after all this is done and your new rig is here you better believe i will post pictures of you on blue thunders wave with a big smile on your face!!!Tongue.gif

Edited by Rhino

Thats what friends do bro.

And you sir are stuck riding the mushy malibu wave created by blue thunder until your new rig is ready. Cheers!!!!! Cry.gif

and after all this is done and your new rig is here you better believe i will post pictures of you on blue thunders wave with a big smile on your face!!!Tongue.gif

Nice! Rockon.gif