Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thank Goodness Everyone is OK

mcbean7

Unreal, huh. Can you imagine seeing a 20' wake boat FLYING across the median in front of you?!

Makes you wonder why we're not using some kind of winch/stern strap system that was a LOT stronger.

Wow. I am so glad to hear everyone is OK. As boat owners it sucks to see those pics, but the people in the truck are much more precious than any metal or fiberglass could ever be. Glad to hear they all are OK.

Bill - no kidding! I just can't believe the boat ended up across the median and 100 yards down the highway from the truck! I wonder if they had transom straps on the boat?

Yea, the guy mentions down the thread that everything was hooked up.

So I wonder if a car chained down on a car trailer is just as liable to fly off in an accident. Seems like that would mean almost any trailer load becomes a speeding bullet.

I'm glad everyone is ok too.

We (commercial drivers) get messages from our dispatcher every day reminding us of safety.

One that comes to mind is: "a good driver expects the unexpected"

Yea, the guy mentions down the thread that everything was hooked up.

So I wonder if a car chained down on a car trailer is just as liable to fly off in an accident. Seems like that would mean almost any trailer load becomes a speeding bullet.

Looked like the ratchiting kind, they are visable in the top pic. Does make you wonder if they are strong enough though.

So, I wonder if the Driver that started it all has Insurance. No boat and No truck for weeks... I would be a little miffed.

Even if they had insurance they probably don't have enough! In GA the minimum insurance is 10K property damage per occurance. Wouldn't cover the truck much less the boat. Check your policy make sure you are covered.

So, I wonder if the Driver that started it all has Insurance. No boat and No truck for weeks... I would be a little miffed.

Further down in the thread Ken said they got a call from the police saying that the driver at fault has insurance. No word on whether it's enough though, and judging by the amount of vehicles he totaled and the boat, looks like he's going to need a couple hundred k at least!

I guess the rear straps didn't help. I wonder what gave out, the U bolts front and back or form the pictures it looks like the rear strap is payed out so I would think the locking mechanism failed too. Also since the truck was hit in the rear the car might have impacted the front of the boat, but I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Further down in the thread Ken said they got a call from the police saying that the driver at fault has insurance. No word on whether it's enough though, and judging by the amount of vehicles he totaled and the boat, looks like he's going to need a couple hundred k at least!

There is a quote in the news story that says the "maroon Cadillac" that started it was NOT insured, maybe they found some at home??? lol