Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tightening the packing gland nut

Pondking

Thanks so much jetskipro550 for taking the time to help me resolve this issue. You answered my next question before I could even ask it! I was wondering about the dripless packing material that I read about. I think next time I pull my boat out of the water, I'm going to put that in and not have to worry about it anymore. Good suggestions. Thanks!

Lets see, I could talk about boats or do my HW....I will take the boat talk!!! I see you are from Oregon, cool! You are the second new person from Oregon this week, gotta represent :unsure:............... :lol:

Its not super critical if it drips every 5 seconds or ever 15 seconds. You should try to keep the drip rate between the norm though. Some people can adjust their's easily and others (like me) take forever trying to get theirs set up just right. It took my dad and I almost an hour because our adjustments were so out of whack. Basically, if you don't think its dripping enough you can periodically check the shaft throughout the day to feel if its hot. If its not then the drip rate you have going is just fine.

There is a packing that you can have installed (or do it yourself) and it makes your system dripless or "virtually" dripsless. The completely dripless systems run about 200+ and the virtually dripless systems such as GFO are much cheaper. If you drip rate is to fast, like every second or so, its not a big deal because your bilge will NOT have a problem with that small amount of water. If you like your boat dry, however, its something you will want to get adjusted properly.

Just think of it this way - it's better for it if it drips a little too much than not enough. Sometimes these things are a royal PITA to get right where they should be. A wet bilge....well that just keeps it rinsed out. :)

I wasn't quite sure I should have said that but, after someone else's earlier comments on polishing thier nuts I figured, what the heck.

Edit: I think your avatar is a good advertisement for my quote.

Edited by Pistol Pete