Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cruise Control VLX 2010

DanWilliams

We have just jumped out of a 2006 V Ride (320 LCR) and into a 2010 VLX (350 Monsoon & Maliview). First day out on the river today - boat ran great - but one thing we noticed was that the cruise control did not hold speed like the V-Ride.

You could noticeably hear the engine reving higher, than falling away, back on the Rev's, etc.

Set at 36Kph (Sorry I am Aussie), it would easily go to 37.6, then drop to around 34.5.

In the V-Ride it would hold to .5 of a km, no matter how hard you pulled it around.

Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

We have just jumped out of a 2006 V Ride (320 LCR) and into a 2010 VLX (350 Monsoon & Maliview). First day out on the river today - boat ran great - but one thing we noticed was that the cruise control did not hold speed like the V-Ride.

You could noticeably hear the engine reving higher, than falling away, back on the Rev's, etc.

Set at 36Kph (Sorry I am Aussie), it would easily go to 37.6, then drop to around 34.5.

In the V-Ride it would hold to .5 of a km, no matter how hard you pulled it around.

Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

I have a 2009 VLX with the exact same problem, the cruise is so bad you can't ski behind it. It has been to the dealer three times trying to get it fixed. I won't know if they got it fixed this time until the lakes thaw out.

People here would just tell me to use the rpm mode, which works, but this is a brand new boat that should work the way it is advertised.

I love my boat, but I'm not very impressed with the cruise control.

Good luck on getting it working right.

Terry

It could be a simple prop issue. Depending on load (ballast, people, etc), altitude (5000'?), temperature (104 in the shade?), and engine power, your boat may or may not respond fast enough to maintain a precise speed. Malibu attempts to install the best "all-around" prop for that model with "typically installed power", unless ordered otherwise. This can result in needing to prop it down slightly to maintain an exact speed, and where I would look to start with. There may be other variables, but the simple place to start, and the easiest variable to eliminate, is at the prop.

Peter :)

Prop is Stock Prop from Malibu Factory (Wake Prop in the brochure) will check to see what size Acme it is. We were at sea level, as the river flows into the ocean.

Temperature only 29 degrees celsius - four people in the boat with all ballast full.

Will check to see if the Speedo needs to be re-calobrated, but shouldn't the cruise control hold speed at the set speed, therefore calibration would not be an issue?

In short, the boat should hold to .5kph - correct?

It could be a simple prop issue. Depending on load (ballast, people, etc), altitude (5000'?), temperature (104 in the shade?), and engine power, your boat may or may not respond fast enough to maintain a precise speed. Malibu attempts to install the best "all-around" prop for that model with "typically installed power", unless ordered otherwise. This can result in needing to prop it down slightly to maintain an exact speed, and where I would look to start with. There may be other variables, but the simple place to start, and the easiest variable to eliminate, is at the prop.

Plus1.gif

Peter is a dealer and has probably seen this in the past. i would try propping it down a bit.

I hope a prop fixes your problem, but in my case it did not.

I have the Hammerhead at 5000' tried the 1235 prop, the 537 prop, with three people, glass water, no ballast and it didn't make any difference, the cruise still sucked. I'm really really hoping that they have it fixed now! Frustrated.gif

Terry

Will let you know how I go - back to the dealer in 7 days - he tells me he has seen it before.

To me, the prop theory does not make sense. Why would Malibu build a boat and fit a prop that does not match?

• 1 month later...

Will let you know how I go - back to the dealer in 7 days - he tells me he has seen it before.

To me, the prop theory does not make sense. Why would Malibu build a boat and fit a prop that does not match?

What did you find out? Thanks

I had the sme problem on my VLX 2009 and the same on my VLX 2010.

I dont want to use the RPM mode.

MY old SAN w/ perfect pass had no issues on speed.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to reply - sorry.

Prop is a 1235 - 14.5 x 14.25, stock wake prop from the factory in Aus.

The first trick was to disconnect all power going in the big black box where all the fuses are under the dash. Apparently the memory will re-set itself if it has no power for 24 hours. We did that but unfortunately it has not solved the problem.

Talking to him over the phone, he plans to replace the entire black box under the dash. Again he tells me he has done this before and it has fixed the problem.

I must admit I do believe it is not as bad as when the boat had 10 hours - now has 40 hours - maybe the engine has freed up a little as it doesn't seem to surge as hard when the boat is looking to increase its speed.

It will still fluctuate well over 1 mile and hour either side of the set speed.

That my story....

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2010 VTX- Monsoon and Maliview. It's surging about 1.5 MPH above and below the set speed, no ballast, no rider. I've only got 2 hours on it so far, I wonder if it will get better with some time or not?? This will be a huge issue once we start skiing if it doesn't get fixed. That surge will hit you mid-gainer and really throw you off.

• 6 months later...