Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Cap O Ring Problems

Hey Guys,

The o-ring on both gas caps on my boat keeps getting bound up and makes getting the cap off pretty dificult? Is there a fix for this other than just taking the o-ring out. I thought about maybe putting some vaseline on it to keep it from binding up might help.

Known issue with some of the O-Rings diameter being too big. It the gas cap sticks up off the hull quite a bit, it might be the wrong O-Ring. Also some of the seats on the filler neck I have seen have a burr on the outside edge keeping the O-Ring from seating in the neck too.

Stay away from vaseline or other oil based lubes on rubber. Use O-ring lube w/ teflon.

Plus1.gif Petroleum Jelly is bad news for O-rings. Use a silicone based lubricant and you should be good to go. Clap.gif

That's funny about the Vaseline, that is what we are told to use on the gas cap o-rings.

Hmmm, I will get in touch with the manufacture of the gas caps and find out what they recommend.

I will let you know if I dig up some information.

-Paul

I think it is also noted in the manual to use Vaseline to lube your impeller and put it in a plastic bag for off season. That's what I do,then keep it for a spare for next season. None have turned to dust yet.