Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

They're droppin like flies!

51gringo

Not only was I bummed with the fact that my local Malibu dealer closed up, but I recently took a trip down to Pomona, Ca for GNRS. Every boat dealer that I knew of, off the 101, has shut down. It's really sad, hope one day this economy returns and puts these guys back in business.

Not only was I bummed with the fact that my local Malibu dealer closed up, but I recently took a trip down to Pomona, Ca for GNRS. Every boat dealer that I knew of, off the 101, has shut down. It's really sad, hope one day this economy returns and puts these guys back in business.

I know what you mean. Today I dropped by my dealer to wish them well and check out the gear they were trying to get rid of.

Saturday they close their doors. It stinks that this is happening all over....just a couple of years ago, they couldn't order enough boats.

Edited by DUKENO1

I know what you mean. Today I dropped by my dealer to wish them well and check out the gear they were trying to get rid of.

Saturday they close their doors. It stinks that this is happening all over....just a couple of years ago, they couldn't order enough boats.

I think this is just more of the story of what I've been referring to as the "false prosperity" that we've enjoyed for the last 10-15 years. I personally feel that most of our "gains" have been smoke and mirrors, purely on paper shams and we're just now beginning to pay the real price for what we've done. I'm not an economist or finance person, so I can't "prove" any of this. This is just gut-feeling stuff.

I think this is just more of the story of what I've been referring to as the "false prosperity" that we've enjoyed for the last 10-15 years. I personally feel that most of our "gains" have been smoke and mirrors, purely on paper shams and we're just now beginning to pay the real price for what we've done. I'm not an economist or finance person, so I can't "prove" any of this. This is just gut-feeling stuff.

Sure you can, just look at all the forclosurs that are happening because people took the "equity" out of there house to go on vacation or some other real need. Not sure if it was goinig on for 15years but then again I wasn't watching until about 5 or 6 years ago when some areas were seeing 50% increase in property values in one year.

That was the beauty of deficit spending. Now comes the 'back to bite you' part.

That was the beauty of deficit spending. Now comes the 'back to bite you' part.

What are the chances of getting somebody in DC to see and beleive that.

Oasis is back open under new ownership at the old location in Redding. It's now called Redding Yamaha & Seedoo, not exactly a Malibu name but they are a dealer and obviously a service center.

Good to know..

All I can say is I'm glad I bought one when I did, don't think I could get into one nowadays!

I think is some parts of the country it is starting to pick up some. My dealer has been very busy and has delivered more boats this winter than in past years. Hopefully it will start to pick up on the west coast as well.

A whole host of boat dealers closed down here in Phoenix; including the Malibu dealer.

What has always struck me as odd is the sheer number of boat builders and boat brands. I personally don't think that the boat market will ever recover and the weaker boat builders will start to go under relatively soon. This is an economic reset, not a recession. The good old days are gone for good.

interesting points... ...bad national economy from the weekend warrior's perspective.. ..I think Perot tried to warn us in '92.

Other thought... ...at the Louisville boat show, there were NO direct drive boats shown with a purchase price under $50K (I'm talking the Moomba V Drive even)... ...seems to me it would be a good idea to still offer a good quality, reasonable priced direct drive boat? You can still create excitement with the glitzy uber-wake-star, but once you have someone in the showroom, you may have a chance to sell them something they can use and afford???... I'm wondering when someone will make a 19ft closed bow with a modern V6 (a family direct drive anyone can ski and lets you get around for a full day without having to go all the way back to the marina to refuel).

interesting points... ...bad national economy from the weekend warrior's perspective.. ..I think Perot tried to warn us in '92.

Other thought... ...at the Louisville boat show, there were NO direct drive boats shown with a purchase price under $50K (I'm talking the Moomba V Drive even)... ...seems to me it would be a good idea to still offer a good quality, reasonable priced direct drive boat? You can still create excitement with the glitzy uber-wake-star, but once you have someone in the showroom, you may have a chance to sell them something they can use and afford???... I'm wondering when someone will make a 19ft closed bow with a modern V6 (a family direct drive anyone can ski and lets you get around for a full day without having to go all the way back to the marina to refuel).

A v6 direct drive?? Not a bad idea. A well tuned v6 can push 220 - 260 HP these days. That's not much less than the 5.6L comp in my '92 Euro.

Agree. I am still shocked by the expense of new boats these days. I feel for dealers who are trying to sell $70-80k ski boats when most of their customers are underwater in their homes. The reality is boats are pretty low tech, or at least should be. I was surprised to see even the IRide's and VRides all priced well over $50k. Good luck with that. We have money but I still can't justify spending that kind of coin on a boat, especially when we have such a short season. If I buy this year, it will be used. The tough economy here in Michigan means there will probably be some good deals come spring.

In somewhat related news, I was incredibly disappointed with the WS Mag boat buyers guide. I need my boat p*** in the middle of Feb here in Michigan!! MC had one boat and the issue was really thin with both info and pages.

A v6 direct drive?? Not a bad idea. A well tuned v6 can push 220 - 260 HP these days. That's not much less than the 5.6L comp in my '92 Euro.

LOVE THE SPARTY BOAT!!!!!!

The only problem I see with the V6 is finding the builder willing to take that risk. It's been V8's since the 60's/70's and straight sixes before that (because that was the biggest they had). I agree that it would make a boat that performs well, especially because of the weight savings. The new Camaro and Mustang V6 engines would make plenty of power for an entry level ski boat. Of course, there will be guys that may disagree--like the Hammerhead owners.

Maybe if a builder branded it differently, like Skier's Choice with Moomba, it may work. Then again, during the recent eco-boom, there were a few great price point opportunities like Alpina that failed with the quickness. Maybe the timing is better now.

Manufacturers have been selling 130hp I/O's as "family ski boats" for years.

Check out the v6 in the new Camaro! Would make an awesome DD engine.

...seems to me it would be a good idea to still offer a good quality, reasonable priced direct drive boat?

There is one, a Gekko. I regularly ski behind my neighbors '99 Gekko GTO and it's just as good as any Nautique, MC or 'Bu out here. He's installed Stargazer and we played with different props last summer. While it may not track as well as the others it's damm close and from the handle end of the rope I can't tell any difference.

He paid $29,900 for it in '99 and you can buy a brand new one for that price today.

Edited by LakeOneSkier

I could see a V-6 in a DD "Ski" boat. Especially with the weight savings..

...but it would have to have some serious "stones"!!!

Edited by Faceplant409

I don't think you will find any big fuel savings in a six cylinder ski boat. How many wake board and surfers want a six with all the ballast there putting in the boats today. Comp skiers need to be out of the water in as short of time as possible.

Fuel economy and boats don't go in the same story. Boats have to much drag. I have had other six and four cylinder boats and some have used more fuel then my v-8

Our boat have hulls designed for wakes and lack of them. Just have no way of making hulls that make wakes or lack of wakes but also track without giving up fuel economy.

Many of the dealers problems have a lot to do with financing inventory.

If cheep ski and board boats is what people wanted I would think we would see more Moomba and Gekko boats on the water.

This is no different than the rest of the U.S. economy. People have been buying more than they can afford. How many starter homes have been sold?

Manufactures that have chosen to deliver a good but less expensive product have a hard time staying in business for this type of product. JMHO!

I don't think you will find any big fuel savings in a six cylinder ski boat. How many wake board and surfers want a six with all the ballast there putting in the boats today. Comp skiers need to be out of the water in as short of time as possible.

Fuel economy and boats don't go in the same story. Boats have to much drag. I have had other six and four cylinder boats and some have used more fuel then my v-8

Our boat have hulls designed for wakes and lack of them. Just have no way of making hulls that make wakes or lack of wakes but also track without giving up fuel economy.

Many of the dealers problems have a lot to do with financing inventory.

If cheep ski and board boats is what people wanted I would think we would see more Moomba and Gekko boats on the water.

This is no different than the rest of the U.S. economy. People have been buying more than they can afford. How many starter homes have been sold?

Manufactures that have chosen to deliver a good but less expensive product have a hard time staying in business for this type of product. JMHO!

I agree with the lack of fuel savings. But, I do see the logic of a price point boat. It was mentioned above for a 19 ft. closed bow (although a small open bow would be an option), more for a small family of skiers rather than tournaments. Most tournaments have a boat sponsor or boats that are on that level available to pull. And, it's certainly not a viable option for someone loading with ballast, like you said.

Remember a boat called Ski-Riffic? $19k for a nearly tournament level tow boat with no unnecessary features and it did fairly well in the market for a couple of years only because of it's performance. I think the real problem now is how elitist America has become and fewer people would "lower" themselves to buy a big ticket item like that. Around here where there is not a ton of money, you do see Moombas and Gekkos and older boats like mine more than the big ones, but head up north to vacationland and all you see is MC and CC. It was actually a fun game for us last summer when we went to one chain of lakes to count the MC's sitting on lifts (over 100), and then two weeks later on a different chain, it was mostly CC's and Supras because of how the dealers are located.

I think because boats are more of a luxury item it will be a tougher nut to crack for price point product, compared to the automotive market where it's considered more of a necessity and you're seeing more and more Korean product becoming successful. Like me, most people will probably look into used product from a big name rather than the cheapest new option. I could be wrong, though because companies like Bayliner have been around for a long time with pretty good numbers. Maybe it's just the inboard guys that are elitist? Crazy.gif

I could see a V-6 in a DD "Ski" boat. Especially with the weight savings..

...but it would have to have some serious "stones"!!!

The new Camero get 303 hp out of a v6. With the weight savings, especially for a ski boat, it could turn in a performance run equal to or better than a 330 hp v8. Keep in mind we are talking about a ski boat, not a wake machine that will be loaded down with 3000# of ballest.

REW

I agree with the lack of fuel savings. But, I do see the logic of a price point boat. It was mentioned above for a 19 ft. closed bow (although a small open bow would be an option), more for a small family of skiers rather than tournaments. Most tournaments have a boat sponsor or boats that are on that level available to pull. And, it's certainly not a viable option for someone loading with ballast, like you said.

Remember a boat called Ski-Riffic? $19k for a nearly tournament level tow boat with no unnecessary features and it did fairly well in the market for a couple of years only because of it's performance. I think the real problem now is how elitist America has become and fewer people would "lower" themselves to buy a big ticket item like that. Around here where there is not a ton of money, you do see Moombas and Gekkos and older boats like mine more than the big ones, but head up north to vacationland and all you see is MC and CC. It was actually a fun game for us last summer when we went to one chain of lakes to count the MC's sitting on lifts (over 100), and then two weeks later on a different chain, it was mostly CC's and Supras because of how the dealers are located.

I think because boats are more of a luxury item it will be a tougher nut to crack for price point product, compared to the automotive market where it's considered more of a necessity and you're seeing more and more Korean product becoming successful. Like me, most people will probably look into used product from a big name rather than the cheapest new option. I could be wrong, though because companies like Bayliner have been around for a long time with pretty good numbers. Maybe it's just the inboard guys that are elitist? Crazy.gif

I bought used a couple of years ago because that is what I chose to afford. Good decision in the long run. I will continue to do the same and recomend others do as well. A two year old boat is bearly broken in and if it was well maintained it should delever great performacne for years to come.

REW

I bought used a couple of years ago because that is what I chose to afford. Good decision in the long run. I will continue to do the same and recomend others do as well. A two year old boat is bearly broken in and if it was well maintained it should delever great performacne for years to come.

REW

Same here. I could have bought new but I couldn't justify the cost when I could buy a 3 year old loaded boat exactly the way I wanted it with 275 hours for half the price of a new one. Why buy a "budget" new boat when you can buy a late model used boat in excellent condition for the same or less? I think that's why a "budget entry level" boat won't sell. One opinion.

Ed