Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interesting engine oil article.

Bobby Light

Wow interesting stuff... I have never been a big fan of pennzoil and after reading that i'm still not. I have always used Delo 400 in the boat and in my diesel truck for good reason "it's one of the best". What I did find quite interesting was wally world has a half assed decent oil, suprising to say the least. I guess now I know where send my kids who are always b**ching about the cost of oil. Thanks for the post Jeremy some informative info in there.

Wow interesting stuff... I have never been a big fan of pennzoil and after reading that i'm still not. I have always used Delo 400 in the boat and in my diesel truck for good reason "it's one of the best". What I did find quite interesting was wally world has a half assed decent oil, suprising to say the least. I guess now I know where send my kids who are always b**ching about the cost of oil. Thanks for the post Jeremy some informative info in there.

I started using the Rotella T6 synthetic over a year ago im my cummins. Went 7500 miles on the last oil change and just sent an oil sample off from the oil change. I will be curious to see how the report comes back. If it comes back good I'll stretch the next one another 2500 miles and see how it looks.

Edited by 06vlx

I started using the Rotella T6 synthetic over a year ago im my cummins. Went 7500 miles on the last oil change and just sent an oil sample off from the oil change. I will be curious to see how the report comes back. If it comes back good I'll stretch the next one another 2500 miles and see how it looks.

What were you running before the T6 and how many miles were you going between changes? What oil do you run in the LSV?

What were you running before the T6 and how many miles were you going between changes? What oil do you run in the LSV?

I was running Delo 400 and going about 5K, and usually ran that in the last boat to. 7500 miles isn't anything to brag about for an interval but I want to establish a baseline with some oil analysis before I go more than recommended. I put Shell Rotella T in the last time for the LSV (first oil change I've done), will probably change that out given this report when I de-winterize and go back to Delo 400. Indmar recommends Penzoil marine or Rotella T. I'm guessing it's little more than agreements between them and Shell though. Obviously the Rotella oil didn't fair well in that report, Penzoil looks good though.

Edited by 06vlx

The WalMart Super Tech ranked pretty good in some car oil reviews I've read. I was certainly surprised to see a cheap oil stack up with the higher end oils.

Not surprised the Amsoil was up there in the list, but I am surprised the Amsoil Premium Synthetic was toward the bottom of the list. Dontknow.gif

The WalMart Super Tech ranked pretty good in some car oil reviews I've read. I was certainly surprised to see a cheap oil stack up with the higher end oils.

Not surprised the Amsoil was up there in the list, but I am surprised the Amsoil Premium Synthetic was toward the bottom of the list. Dontknow.gif

Yes but this report kind of killed the "Amsoil is King" theory. I was surprised it didn't rank in the Best category.

I was running Delo 400 and going about 5K, and usually ran that in the last boat to. 7500 miles isn't anything to brag about for an interval but I want to establish a baseline with some oil analysis before I go more than recommended. I put Shell Rotella T in the last time for the LSV (first oil change I've done), will probably change that out given this report when I de-winterize and go back to Delo 400. Indmar recommends Penzoil marine or Rotella T. I'm guessing it's little more than agreements between them and Shell though. Obviously the two oils didn't fair well in that report.

Nothing wrong with 7500k, I go 5k now with the delo and anything after that my fuel economy goes down the toilet.. Now if only I could go 10k that would sure make it a little easier to swallow when you have to set the 4 gallons in front of the $ register... Oh by the way I gave you a rep point so you can catch Pete Thumbup.gif.

Yes but this report kind of killed the "Amsoil is King" theory. I was surprised it didn't rank in the Best category.

Couldn't agree more and at $25 a gallon it proves you can spend your hard earned $$ a little more wisely. It looks like the Valvoline Premium Blue is worth a good look.

Nothing wrong with 7500k, I go 5k now with the delo and anything after that my fuel economy goes down the toilet.. Now if only I could go 10k that would sure make it a little easier to swallow when you have to set the 4 gallons in front of the $ register... Oh by the way I gave you a rep point so you can catch Pete Thumbup.gif.

Thanks man, it will take me the rest of my life to catch up to him :lol: .

Please post up the results. You know this is debated endlessly in the Cummins forums. I have run Rotella and Delo in my diesels. I choose Delo if I can.

I dont know what to put in the boat. Havent goten to my first (non-dealer) change. I HATE Penzoil and am looking for a good alternative.

BTW, the service manual in my wife's Volkswagen Touareg reccoments Mobil 1 5/40 every 10k. I check the dipstick at 7,500 and the stuff is still golden. I have been addicted to Mobil 1 a long time, but have never seen an engine miser that oil as good as the Audi 4.2 in the TReg.

Please post up the results. You know this is debated endlessly in the Cummins forums. I have run Rotella and Delo in my diesels. I choose Delo if I can.

I dont know what to put in the boat. Havent goten to my first (non-dealer) change. I HATE Penzoil and am looking for a good alternative.

BTW, the service manual in my wife's Volkswagen Touareg reccoments Mobil 1 5/40 every 10k. I check the dipstick at 7,500 and the stuff is still golden. I have been addicted to Mobil 1 a long time, but have never seen an engine miser that oil as good as the Audi 4.2 in the TReg.

Price and quality combined the Delo 400 (not LE) is pretty hard to beat. Have you tried the Rotella T6 synthetic in your cummins yet? Mine quieted down a bit when I went to it. I'll post the results of the oil analysis when I get it.

On the Mobile 1 it's good stuff. I've got a trailblazer SS and run that in it, always go about 12K between oil changes. Go by what the computer says on the truck. I thought it was strange but the dealership verified it's accuracy.

Edited by 06vlx

Price and quality combined the Delo 400 (not LE) is pretty hard to beat. Have you tried the Rotella T6 synthetic in your cummins yet? Mine quieted down a bit when I went to it. I'll post the results of the oil analysis when I get it.

On the Mobile 1 it's good stuff. I've got a trailblazer SS and run that in it, always go about 12K between oil changes. Go by what the computer says on the truck. I thought it was strange but the dealership verified it's accuracy.

I dont think so. I have the timing on my Smarty turned to 4 and it sounds like a freaking 12-valve. Quieter would be nice.

I dont think so. I have the timing on my Smarty turned to 4 and it sounds like a freaking 12-valve. Quieter would be nice.

Why don't you run with any timing on the smarty? I always run the catcher tunes with timing, usually #3, same as 4 but with timing.

Wally World does not make anything, they and others "brand" there products. with the right type of analysis the engineers could probly figure out who makes wallyworlds oil. Knowing this is why it doesent supprise me that ww oil got good raitings, somebody is already making the same oil and putting a name brand on it.

The BU has Rotella, the Surburban has a high millage blend (cant remember the brand) and the VW diesel has what ever the dealer put in, I couldnt figure out how to get under the thing nor would it go up the ramps. Didnt want to orhave time to build an elaberate ramp system out of 2X6's

I am not a brand specific type of guy, I will find what works good and use it reguardless of the brand. Never have understood that whole ford, chevy thing.

REW

Why don't you run with any timing on the smarty? I always run the catcher tunes with timing, usually #3, same as 4 but with timing.

Cuz I am running a Jr...SW3 TQ2 TM4...that is about all my 48RE will handle. I still slip the TC if I romp on it on third, making it downshift 2 2nd and slip the TC.

This is also my 1st Cummins, so I am still learning how she likes to be "handled" ;)

Cuz I am running a Jr...SW3 TQ2 TM4...that is about all my 48RE will handle. I still slip the TC if I romp on it on third, making it downshift 2 2nd and slip the TC.

This is also my 1st Cummins, so I am still learning how she likes to be "handled" ;)

I thought you said you were running sw4, so you are running timing then.

[quote name='06vlx' date='February 05, 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1265429151' post='362874']

the Mobile 1 it's good stuff. I've got a trailblazer SS and run that in it, always go about 12K between oil changes. Go by what the computer says on the truck. I thought it was strange but the dealership verified it's accuracy.

+1, an '07, what year is yours?

[quote name='06vlx' date='February 05, 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1265429151' post='362874']

the Mobile 1 it's good stuff. I've got a trailblazer SS and run that in it, always go about 12K between oil changes. Go by what the computer says on the truck. I thought it was strange but the dealership verified it's accuracy.

+1, an '07, what year is yours?

06' AWD got it when they first came out. Been a good car.

What language is that?

I am not overly impresed with the report because the author and "expert" both show a lot of bias in their discussions and words.

References to big oil companies and all that money are good for reading, but a real unbiased review of the products would not include that type of editorial comments.

Regarding oils, my recommendation is this. Select one and stay with it. Manufacturers use different additives to meet their specifications, and if you switch back and forth you are mixing these additives, which may not work well together and may even negate each other.

In my cars, Kendall, for 34 years.

In my Malibu, Pennzoil, for 1.

I am not overly impresed with the report because the author and "expert" both show a lot of bias in their discussions and words.

References to big oil companies and all that money are good for reading, but a real unbiased review of the products would not include that type of editorial comments.

Regarding oils, my recommendation is this. Select one and stay with it. Manufacturers use different additives to meet their specifications, and if you switch back and forth you are mixing these additives, which may not work well together and may even negate each other.

In my cars, Kendall, for 34 years.

In my Malibu, Pennzoil, for 1.

Bias towards what? Big oil companies are mentioned because they make the majority of the popular oils tested. I read the same report as you and didn't pick up on any one company being plugged in any way, did I miss something?

Switching oils causing damage to your engine is a myth and nothing more. As long as an oil meets the manufacturers specs it doesn't matter what brand you use, even if you want to change it up.

I thought you said you were running sw4, so you are running timing then.

That is correct. That is basically everything tweaked with TQ in the middle. The timing makes such a difference in the power, but comes at the cost of some knock.