Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pros and Cons: '96 Echelon LX vs '98 Sunsetter V Drive

rand49er

You will regret not getting a V-drive in a year or so. Especially if you decide to upgrade in a few years as it will be much harder to sell a DD over a V-drive.

The LXi is a good crossover boat but it's for skiers who occasionally wakeboard. I have ridden behind a couple that were severely weighted down and the wakeboard wake was still lacking. I would never say that to the owners though Whistling.gif .

The Echelon has a good wakeboarding wake but it takes at least 4 fat sacs to get it. The VLX and Echelon you are looking at are both on the same hull so other than the weight distribution they will be similar (Put 3 in the back of the Echelon and they should have similar ski wakes).

That is a good point. You did mention that you may be looking for an upgrade soon. I would say that the V-drive will defintley do better for in terms of return on investment than a DD. DD is too specialized, not that no one wants them, but don't appeal to the majority like a v-drive will.

You will regret not getting a V-drive in a year or so. Especially if you decide to upgrade in a few years as it will be much harder to sell a DD over a V-drive.

The LXi is a good crossover boat but it's for skiers who occasionally wakeboard. I have ridden behind a couple that were severely weighted down and the wakeboard wake was still lacking. I would never say that to the owners though Whistling.gif .

The Echelon has a good wakeboarding wake but it takes at least 4 fat sacs to get it. The VLX and Echelon you are looking at are both on the same hull so other than the weight distribution they will be similar (Put 3 in the back of the Echelon and they should have similar ski wakes).

I talked to a salesman at a local Malibu dealer yesterday, and he says 80% of the new boats they're selling are V-drive. Strong reason to get one for resale if nothing else.

Getting a DD is like getting a boat in Hot Pink, they are not top sellers in the used boat market. If that is what you want, then it is your money and you should spend it on exactly what you want. However, if you are 50/50 v-drive/dd then resale is something you should consider.

So I think it is smart of you to consider that, because in the end if you don't like your boat or have buyers remorse you will at least have some comfort in knowing that you have put yourself in a good position to resell your boat.

Getting a DD is like getting a boat in Hot Pink, they are not top sellers in the used boat market. If that is what you want, then it is your money and you should spend it on exactly what you want. However, if you are 50/50 v-drive/dd then resale is something you should consider.

So I think it is smart of you to consider that, because in the end if you don't like your boat or have buyers remorse you will at least have some comfort in knowing that you have put yourself in a good position to resell your boat.

Resale is something I always think about. It would be nice to upgrade in a couple of years, and I don't want to have a 1,0000-hour-plus boat to try to peddle. (<-- I saw what otherwise would have been perfect expect it is sitting with 999 hrs on it right now.) But, more than anything, I have to accommodate my wife. She wants comfort, and it would be nice to get my in-laws in it for a ride.

In-laws, wife, skiing, seven-year-old, budget, resale ... it's all a compromise.

Resale is something I always think about. It would be nice to upgrade in a couple of years, and I don't want to have a 1,0000-hour-plus boat to try to peddle. (<-- I saw what otherwise would have been perfect expect it is sitting with 999 hrs on it right now.) But, more than anything, I have to accommodate my wife. She wants comfort, and it would be nice to get my in-laws in it for a ride.

In-laws, wife, skiing, seven-year-old, budget, resale ... it's all a compromise.

Ya you will never find something that meets everything perfectly. Sounds like you need the space. v-drive is the way to go then. I think you will like the room and rough water ride that you get with a v-ride. the sacrifices on the v-drive will really only stand out to those that just came from a DD and are serious skiers. the recreational skiers that used to ski in my DD and now in my v-drive have had nothing but good things to say about my new boat and not one complaint. They are so happy that the seating is comfortable and off the floor, that there is more room inside, and that i don't take the random wave over the bow.

That was a definately below the belt Mad.gif

i got a hot pink wakeboard, looks good and everthing. i don't think i was telling you anything you didn't already know though in terms of how your boat will be received in the resale market. thats the price you pay for looking good.

I don't think resale is an issue the DD should be cheaper from the get go anyway. If you want to rip the lake up on a slalom ski or do some big time footin you want want a DD and that is the bottom line. A typical IO will make a slalom wake similar to a Vdrive. Thats like a a race car driver racing a Toyota because Ferrari's don't do well in the used market. It depends what your using your boat for.

I don't think resale is an issue the DD should be cheaper from the get go anyway. If you want to rip the lake up on a slalom ski or do some big time footin you want want a DD and that is the bottom line. A typical IO will make a slalom wake similar to a Vdrive. Thats like a a race car driver racing a Toyota because Ferrari's don't do well in the used market. It depends what your using your boat for.

Actually if you look that the guys original posts, you will see that he is a recreational skier. Has other concerns like his wife and a 7 year old.

I also think your analogy is backwards. Why would a recreational driver, drive his family around in a Ferrari when the Toyota would not only be more comfortable but practical as well?

I agree that the DD would be cheaper, but that would go along with the resale arguement. Also resale should always be a factor when considering a purchase like a boat, especially in this economy when you may need to unload some of your assets.

Actually if you look that the guys original posts, you will see that he is a recreational skier. Has other concerns like his wife and a 7 year old.

I also think your analogy is backwards. Why would a recreational driver, drive his family around in a Ferrari when the Toyota would not only be more comfortable but practical as well?

I agree that the DD would be cheaper, but that would go along with the resale arguement. Also resale should always be a factor when considering a purchase like a boat, especially in this economy when you may need to unload some of your assets.

My analogy is what I was trying to say, I didn't like the way DD boats were being portrayed negatively. He said he didn't want to compromise on skiing and you can do a lot more than ski behind an Echelon. The most important factor in choosing which type of boat you are going to get is what you are using it for(Ok aside from initial cost - I'll take one 50' yacht please :)), hence my analogy. It sounds like rand49er knows his priorities and which boat fits his family's needs better.

Considering the age of the boats you are looking at you would not lose much either way selling in a couple years - unless the Echelon is overpriced.

I would still have to say that you are missing the compromise. A recreational skier may not need the best ski boat, but a guy with a family that like to comfortably cruise around the lake may enjoy the v-drive more than the DD. The DD seems like over kill for him.

Thanks, guys, for all your input. Your observations plus other information I've gleaned along the way has made me far more comfortable with my decision. Got my eyes on several possible boats at the moment. Just needs to get about 50 degrees warmer, now.

BTW, the only way I'd get in a Toyota is when the make a hearse.

The direct drive boats will always get the nod as far as handling performance on the water. The Skiers/Echelons/Responses/Sunsetters all handle like Ferrari's on the water. Rockon.gif

With that said the V-Drives certainly aren't lethargic or poor on performance, like you said they just don't have the engine mass centered on the hull. The weight of the engine shifted toward the transom is why you get the better wake out of the box on the V-Drive boats.

Here's a little vid of V-Drive performance.

I've owned 2 Malibu's. My first was a 1999 Sunsetter LXI (DD), my second a 2008 VLX. I must say, for handling on

the water I really miss my LXI. I also miss the ski wake. But since I'm the only one in my family who still prefers

to ski, I was outvoted, I have since learned to wakesurf, skate, and board. I won't say I've coverted, but I think

everyone else has a better boating experience with the V-Drive, and it is vastly superior when 2 families are involved.

I have a 99 Sunsetter lxi DD and really like the boat. No one in my family (or friends) is a great wake boarder but we try. I sometimes think about getting something newer but then I get in this boat again and can’t think of why I should “trade up” when what I have works great for my family. The interior room is wonderful and I can easily take out a group of 10.

The initial post indicates that "I do not want to be compromised in skiing wake" or close to that, if that is the case, the Echelon/Response direct drive would be the boat of choice. A different priority ranking would change the choice.