Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seat cushions

windy1

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Just picked up my 2001 sunsetter and was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the seat cushions blowing out at highway speed. The 3 piece rear seat looks like it could blow out with a big gust at 70 mph. I removed all the cushions for the 3 hour trip home but really do not want to do that every time I make the 40 mile round trip to the lake.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Just picked up my 2001 sunsetter and was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the seat cushions blowing out at highway speed. The 3 piece rear seat looks like it could blow out with a big gust at 70 mph. I removed all the cushions for the 3 hour trip home but really do not want to do that every time I make the 40 mile round trip to the lake.

I don't know about your Sunsetter, but i've towed my 2000 RLX 1000+ miles from Pennsylvania to Tennessee and back (most of the way uncovered) and I never had any issues (or even a thought) of the seats blowing out.

I have never had a problem with my Bu but there has been one or two posts on this.

I had a bass boat that I pulled most weekends and never had a problem. Then one day a 18 wheeler passed me and I happened to look in my rear view Mirror ans see the bottom of the bench seat going out of the boat. So to say never!!!!!

If you have a walk through keep it closed.

I think the Sunsetter has a 3 piece rear seat bottom, unlike most of our boats that have one piece that "locks" under the arm rests. So, yes it would be very possible to blow out at highway speeds.

Trailer with a cover or do like you have been and remove them before the wind does. Better to be safe than to have to replace them.

I have seen some boats that when the cushion just sits on top, they have a strap with a snap coming off the bottom of the front of each cushion to hold it down in place. The other end of the snap goes to either the seat base/bracket that is attached to the floor, or the floor itself. If yours doesn't have that, it could be added by you or an upholstery shop.

The only one I would be concerned about would be the center seat cushion because the wind can get under it... I always remove the center one and set it on the floor for the exact reason mentioned. I have never had any problems with the other one's but very rarely travel at 70 mph in gusty conditions.

I havn't heard of this happening in a bu but I did meet a guy with a Calabria and he lost two of his on the freeway and didn't know it until he got to the lake. I pull my VTX a couple hundred miles one way uncovered at greater than highway speeds and (knock on wood) no problem yet with the seat cushions.

I have noticed my middle cushion moving ever so slightly before at "high" :) highway speeds, so after reading

about a guy losing one of his seats last year, decided to start towing with the windblock in. Makes a huge

difference.

When I first got my 08 VLX, the center rear cushion would flip up against the back rest a highway speeds. I would freak out and immediately slow down and the seat would fall back down to it's normal position. My dealer added some blocks on the bottom of the seat that locks it down a little better, but it would still happen. If I'm getting on the highway now, the wind block is in.

I would hate to have to buy a new cushion, they can’t be cheap.

thanks for the feedback. I am going to add some snaps to the outside cushions and remove the center one. I should have waited to buy this boat cuz I had no idea how hard it would be having it sit without being able to use it. quoting from another post "I will be in the garage sitting in the boat waiting for spring"

I'm one not to take chances and therefore always tow with the cover on if I'm going on the highway. Plus, I can throw gear in the boat and not worry about anything flying out.

Edited by WakingMeHappy

I've had a couple customers loose cushions on the freeway (as in 2 or 3 people in 10+ years), all of which did not have the wind block in. All of which were towing thru a really windy area.

I think if you had the walk thru wind block in you wouldn't have any issues since almost all air flow is directed over the cockpit area.

-Paul

Did your boat come with the snap down bow cover? If so, leave it snapped on during your drive and that should prevent the majority of the wind from getting in and lifting a seat.

The only time any of my seats moved during trailering is when I didn't have my cover snapped down.