Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rank the Boat Builders

DKidneyBean

I know Malibu has a great reputation in the boating world (even outside of the competition watersport boat world), but I was curious to see your guys' opinions on the rest of the boat builders. Considering all factors (performance, value, reliability, resale, models, etc.) how would you rank the rest of the boat brands out there against each other? I know there are a lot of variables but it would be interesting to see how the lists come out.

Example:

1. Malibu

2. .....

3. ....

4. ...

Thanks,

Alpha Order from waterskimag:

(Axis, Calabria, Centurion, Epic, Gekko, Malibu, Mastercraft, MB, Moomba, Nautiques, Sanger, SkiPro, Supra, Supreme, Svfara, Tige)

Edited by DKidneyBean

The only other boats I considered before I was educated on the subject was: First MC, second Tige for a moment Gekko, But I saved the best for last and the one I bought MALIBU. Yahoo.gif

Through my boating years I've considered, demo'd, and shopped the followig brands.

Tige, MC, Calabria, CC, Supra, Moomba, MB Sports. Malibu was a clear winner for me obviously. I don't know how you would rank them in order under Malibu but Malibu definitely gets the #1 spot for sure.

Build quality wise,

I'd say Malibu/Nautique is a pretty solid tie, or with Nautique in 1st.

3rd, MC.

I feel it really depends on your needs in a boat though. Nautique and Malibu both have really good build quality.

If i was going to spend all day every day in a slalom course, I'd own a nautique (although i haven't' skiied/driven the 2010 200.

But, i wanted a hi performance ski boat, that was more comfortable, yet still tournament quality. Hence my Malibu.

Used to be a die hard MC fan, but after spending time in there boats as a driver for teh last few years, their build quality just isn't up to par anymore.

BTW, I'm a 3 even assistant driver through AWSA, and drive a bunch of Collegiate tournaments. I am upgrading my drivers rating to Regular in early April.

Malibu is certainly number 1 for me but have to agree with 'dhcomp' about the Nautique. My brother has a super air 220 and it is a beauty. All around very close second to my bu.

Malibu is certainly number 1 for me but have to agree with 'dhcomp' about the Nautique. My brother has a super air 220 and it is a beauty. All around very close second to my bu.

Build quality, i actually think Nautique is #1. But I like the layout, style, etc. of the Malibu Wake boats better. Malibu isn't in second by enough to keep me from buying one though, which says a lot.

Value:

'bu

moomba

centurion

Axis

CC

MC

Really? To each his own, but the time I've spent in the moomba's in the last couple years hasn't been positive. I felt like i was driving a hundai vs. a bmw. Materials quality, fit finish, handling, gauges, electronics.......all seemed below par. And to put CC down at the bottom? Our lake had a 2007 Outback, brand new.....and people preferred to drive/ski the 05 Nautique with 2000hrs that needed a steering cable and new helm.

Really? To each his own, but the time I've spent in the moomba's in the last couple years hasn't been positive. I felt like i was driving a hundai vs. a bmw. Materials quality, fit finish, handling, gauges, electronics.......all seemed below par. And to put CC down at the bottom? Our lake had a 2007 Outback, brand new.....and people preferred to drive/ski the 05 Nautique with 2000hrs that needed a steering cable and new helm.

maybe he has money factored into that. 40k compared to 100k!!!

maybe he has money factored into that. 40k compared to 100k!!!

Agreed. I was speaking directly to build quality.

If it was value per dollar, yes, Moomba would be towards the top......but that seems to be the only aspect that i would rank in teh top 3.

Build quality, i actually think Nautique is #1. But I like the layout, style, etc. of the Malibu Wake boats better. Malibu isn't in second by enough to keep me from buying one though, which says a lot.

Agreed, I was looking at 210s before buying my BU. CC build quality is excellent, but I love the ride, wake, and interior of the VLX.....plus being 9k cheaper helped my decision also.

There are too many variables and way too many personal choices to really make the ranks worth anything. Let the sales numbers speak for themselves what the masses are purchasing to define, if need be, the top rated boat. Again with so many needs, choices, personal tastes rating them really is just a hollow numbering system.

There are too many variables and way too many personal choices to really make the ranks worth anything. Let the sales numbers speak for themselves what the masses are purchasing to define, if need be, the top rated boat. Again with so many needs, choices, personal tastes rating them really is just a hollow numbering system.

OK. I would be interested in knowing what are the sales numbers are?

Can't remember where the heck I saw them, but Mastercraft was first in sales followed by Malibu.

Edited by k_b_stephens

For me those numbers wouldn't sell me a boat....others it may sway them...

I thought I read somewhere that MC does some funny tracking of their boat sales. Something about they count it as a sale when it leaves the factory or something. Where Malibu counts sales as a boat order or a sale to a customer off a dealer lot if they are flooring the boat. Could be off a little but I remember something like this..

Edited by 06vlx

I thought I read somewhere that MC does some funny tracking of their boat sales. Something about they count it as a sale when it leaves the factory or something. Where Malibu counts sales as a boat order or a sale to a customer off a dealer lot if they are flooring the boat. Could be off a little but I remember something like this..

I've hard the same thing but in terms of MC couldn't back that up. Even if that was the case I'm pleasantly happy w/ #2...Innocent.gif

We have owned many boats over the years and it would be very difficult to rank boats not used in the same manner. I did have one boat from a leading manufacture in its field that I hated. It was made very well but it performed very poorly. I spent time working with the manufacture and the dealer. Both helped as much as possible but in the end I sold the boat. Lost a bunch of bucks on it. The one good thing was I got into inboards and back into skiing big time.

A guy with six posts comes on a Malibu site and asks who makes the best boat? Whistling.gif

I was thinking the same thing! Ha ha!

But, to play along, I'll say I'm in the market right now, and the only two boats I'm considering are Malibu and Mastercraft.

I put CC at bottom because my rankings clearly said "value". I would never put moomba above, well, anyone when it comes to luxury or quality. But for the value, you can get a nice wake and setup for a great "value". CC is not a good "value" in my opinion. The cost difference between moomba and Malibu is "worth it" to me, not to jump ship to CC. I agree, to each his own.