Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas cans or fuel jugs?

Bill_AirJunky

One of my old style gas cans has split recently. And since the new style "spill proof" cans suck so bad, I won't be buying any. So I'm looking for a descent price on a can or fuel jug that pours right. VP Racing & RJS Racing make nice cans but their usually $40 or $50 each. I found these recently, but by the time you buy the hoses & ship them, their over $40 each.

Anyone have any bright ideas on a gas can or fuel jug that is reasonably priced & pours right?

Actually, I wasn't a believer until I used them, but you'll be amazed with what you can do with those crappy new cans and a couple of those siphon hoses from BassProShops or wherever. The hoses are less than $10 each. Try a couple. We use them every day when we ski. Been using one set for 3+ years too. The second set only has one season on them(we have two sets because we fuel at two different docks).

One of my old style gas cans has split recently. And since the new style "spill proof" cans suck so bad, I won't be buying any. So I'm looking for a descent price on a can or fuel jug that pours right. VP Racing & RJS Racing make nice cans but their usually $40 or $50 each. I found these recently, but by the time you buy the hoses & ship them, their over $40 each.

Anyone have any bright ideas on a gas can or fuel jug that is reasonably priced & pours right?

Those can's you found are a great price, we sell these utility jugs but you can't buy direct from the manufacture so you get a middle man mark up that makes the retail too high. These are awesome though, I own 4 of them and use them for everything including the lawn mower.

You could always buy those cans and make your own hose?

Good luck!

Paul

Thumbup.gif

Actually, I wasn't a believer until I used them, but you'll be amazed with what you can do with those crappy new cans and a couple of those siphon hoses from BassProShops or wherever. The hoses are less than $10 each. Try a couple. We use them every day when we ski. Been using one set for 3+ years too. The second set only has one season on them(we have two sets because we fuel at two different docks).

I second the siphon hose....The siphon is usually done before we have everything loaded in the boat...

I wish I knew how to post a link better

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_37909____SearchResults

Edit....This is the above mentioned wonder pump....

Edited by MizzouMike

Yup, that's the one. The Wonder Pump is awesome, & not just handy for gasoline. We recently retired our fishtank that was in our living room & with it being a medium sized tank, it was going to be a PITA to empty & move. Enter the Wonder Pump & it made that job very easy with very little mess.

Yup, that's the one. The Wonder Pump is awesome, & not just handy for gasoline. We recently retired our fishtank that was in our living room & with it being a medium sized tank, it was going to be a PITA to empty & move. Enter the Wonder Pump & it made that job very easy with very little mess.

Or if you happen to run out of fuel in the truck, when the hubby didn't listen.... Tease2.gif

We use the Wonder pumps but ran into a couple of snags that made them less than appealing.

First of all, what do you do with the hose when your done? Throw it back in the truck & then the truck stinks like gas all the time. Maybe I need to get some kind of gas proof bag to put it in or something. Or put a dock box down on my dock.

And the other thing is that we found that someone had to stand there & hold the hose at the right angle & with the end of the hose at the bottom of the can so it would siphon all the gas. We're at a floating dock, that is about the same level as the boat. So it was less than convenient to sit there for 5 or 10 minutes holding the hose (yea, run with that Whistling.gif ).

I know, cry me a river. Just thought I'd see if there was something more convenient. Thinking about modifying those spill proof cans with some kind of auto-siphon cap/hose similar to that Flo-Fast setup in the link up above. I'd still have to do something with that hose, like leave it in the can. But at least we wouldn't have to babysit the thing while it was emptying.

I just use blue plastic cans that are marked kerosene. No problems ever.

Hehe, I like it..... assuming it doesn't have that same stupid "spill proof" nozzle. I'll check it out.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Or if you happen to run out of fuel in the truck, when the hubby didn't listen.... Tease2.gif

Yeah I don't know anything about that, mainly because we didn't have a freaking wonder pump at the time. Mad.gif Siphoning gas out of a boat is hard enough, but doing it through that piddly little shower hose was ridiculous.

I have 5 of these. or something very similar. No silly "no spill" thingy. They were cheap, I think like $5 when I bought them. Nobody at the gas station seems to care that they're kerosene cans. I'll have them at wow. Edited by Pistol Pete

Yeah I don't know anything about that, mainly because we didn't have a freaking wonder pump at the time. Mad.gif Siphoning gas out of a boat is hard enough, but doing it through that piddly little shower hose was ridiculous.

Ha! Sounds like a story there.

Maybe this should be in the dirty laundry thread....... but one year Jake & I & a bunch of others did a Havasu houseboat trip. So we load up Blaine's old Chevy van with AirChairs, gear, Jake's Prostar 190, a ton of beer & have a great time. After the trip is over, we are railin home. We're in the boondocks in Utah in the middle of the night. I'm asleep in the back. Jake wakes us up & says the van is about out of gas. Of course we all have to pile up front to see the gas gauge...... and we're doing 105 mph! Hmmmm, wonder why we are about out of gas, Jake?! Whistling.gif

So of course the van sputters to a stop at some point. We all climb out of the van on the side of the freeway...& it's like 1:00am & maybe 35 degrees out. Blaine comes up with this idea that the boat still has like a 1/2 tank in it. We start trying to figure out what to use to siphon it with..... and strike out. No Wonder pump to be found. So Blaine suggests we just pull the gas tank out of the boat & pour it right into the van. Took a little time & was a bit of a mess to do, but it worked! Rockon.gif

Where is the Overton's discount code located? Throwpc.gif

It's not a Crew specific code. Just enter the word MALIBU in the promo code field when you check out & it's worth 10% to you.

Bill, I'll post the story later in the Dirty Laundry thread. It's not nearly as good as some in there though, but it does involve some Macguyver-type skills (or maybe Macgruber) to get gas from the boat to the truck.

There is some speculation that Hunsaker may be having problems staying in business Woodsprinter. Better get as many of those $60 cans as you can find before the supply dries up.

I'm going to check out the kerosene cans at Ace tonite on the way home from work.

Maybe try to attach a ¾” or 1” plastic hose to the screw on lid, to those containers in your original post, and then use a simple flow turn valve. The problem w/ those type of gas containers though is turned upside down they always seem to leak....

The problem w/ those type of gas containers though is turned upside down they always seem to leak....

Man, the day one of us comes up with a simple, inexpensive gas can that doesn't leak like a sieve.... that will be the last day of work for a while. :Doh: