Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Indmar Monsoon oil filter? What to use?

nevertwobig

I bought a 1997 Sunsetter LX last fall. I changed the oil with winterization and the filter that was on there was a Fram PH5. I'm not a Fram fan at all and would like to use the OE filter. Fram cannot be the OE filter. It is the 320hp Monsoon motor. I've tried to research it and can't come up with just one filter. If someone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks, Kelly

I bought a 1997 Sunsetter LX last fall. I changed the oil with winterization and the filter that was on there was a Fram PH5. I'm not a Fram fan at all and would like to use the OE filter. Fram cannot be the OE filter. It is the 320hp Monsoon motor. I've tried to research it and can't come up with just one filter. If someone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks, Kelly

OE for a Indmar engine is a Pennzoil PZ3 oil filter.

I'm with you, not a Fram fan either.

OEM should be Quicksilver brand, call your dealer's service dept or Malibu and they can give you the correct part number.

A Quicksilver oil filter would be OE for the Mercruiser engines up until 1995, anything 96+ has a Indmar power plant in them from the factory.

Both oil filters will work and have similar construction so they will do the same job.

Hope this helps

-Paul

Lots of data available online to review different oil filters. The Napa Gold and Wix filters get excellent results in add the various testing of oil filters. I would also suggest using weight as a good guide when choosing a filter, that is a good general indicator of filter material volume. For your application since height is not a problem, the unit to choose is the one that fits a Chevy Silverado pickup truck, it is longer than the car version. Wix also makes a racing version that has more filtration, that is my unit of choice along with synthetic oil. The biggest issue on a marine engine is actually the condensation problem due to environment and the thermostat which tends to be a 140 degree unit. Dirt is not really a factor as out on the water there is little or no dust/dirt/etc..

I'm with everyone about the quality of a Fram filter, but I don't think it is a good idea to use OEM if it is a Penzoil filter. I'm 99% sure that Fram makes Penzoil's filters. I don't use them, just in case.

Definitly going to try the Napa Gold. There is a Napa about 15 minutes away. Thanks for the info! I had no idea Fram made Pennzoil filters, wow! Glad to find that out before buying. Went to Napa online and it says to use a 1069 filter, hopefully they carry it, no biggie if they have to order, ice won't go out on the river for 2 months.

I'm with everyone about the quality of a Fram filter, but I don't think it is a good idea to use OEM if it is a Penzoil filter. I'm 99% sure that Fram makes Penzoil's filters. I don't use them, just in case.

Wow, that's a first for me. I looked it up to and from the sounds of this guy the Fram and Pennzoil are identical. Who knows about other models but thanks for the info!

-Paul

I'm a Wix guy but, you can use any of these...

Indmar oil filters:

5.0 + 5.7 Except LS-1

Merc. 35-802885T (or newer 35-866340K01)

AC PF25 (replaced by AC PF454), Penske PN30, Fram PH30,

Puro. L20049, Penn. PZ3, Castrol CM30, Motorcraft FL10,

Quaker State QS30, Wix 51069, Mobil 1 M1-302,NAPA gold 1069,

Stopped at Napa and picked up the Napa Gold 1069 filter. Looks like a complex filter. Not too badly priced either. Only $4.99. They did not have the Delco AC-8 plugs or the wires. Where is a good online place to get these. I want to upgrade from the regular OE plugs. Has anyone used the Delco Rapid Fire plugs, if so, what do you think?

I only ran the boat twice after I got it, It ran ok. I am going to put new wires and plugs on it because they look like they could possibly be the original ones. I usually try to upgrade if possible. My last boat I ran platinum plugs and thought the extra cost was not worth it. But I've seen a few threads on a different sight for the AC-8 plugs and wondered if anyone used them. I will probably go with the mr43lts again. The AC-8 rapid fire plugs are the same price so I thought I would try them

Stopped at Napa and picked up the Napa Gold 1069 filter. Looks like a complex filter. Not too badly priced either. Only $4.99. They did not have the Delco AC-8 plugs or the wires. Where is a good online place to get these. I want to upgrade from the regular OE plugs. Has anyone used the Delco Rapid Fire plugs, if so, what do you think?

We stock the OE Indmar 8mm marine spark plug wires if you can't find anything else local.

I've seen too many AC plugs crack in the porcelain, we use NGK plugs in our shop.

-Paul

I've seen too many AC plugs crack in the porcelain, we use NGK plugs in our shop.

I had an AC plug crack at the porcelain and it took me a long time to diagnose the problem. I have been running NGK plugs ever since and they seem to burn cleaner. Dontknow.gif I can go out and look at the NGK number if anyone wants it.

I can go out and look at the NGK number if anyone wants it.

I got your back Mike.

Let's see, I'm turning to page 178 of this book. (wow, look at those reviews)

5.0L and 5.7L models with 12 bolt intake manifold

NGK plug

1983-1987 UR5 gap .o35"

1988-1997 BR6FS gap .035"

With 8 bolt intake manifold

NGK plug

1998-2001 BPR6EFS gap .045"

I went out today and bought the NGK per what Paul said. I did the cross reference to the mr43lts and it was the v-power TR5 stock# 2238. What would the Gap be? still the .045? I also ordered new wires and cap/rotor. Should have everything squared away. Now all I need is the ice to go out!

I went out today and bought the NGK per what Paul said. I did the cross reference to the mr43lts and it was the v-power TR5 stock# 2238. What would the Gap be? still the .045? I also ordered new wires and cap/rotor. Should have everything squared away. Now all I need is the ice to go out!

.045 is the correct gap on those plugs

-Paul

All right, so you had me really curious about the PZ3 oil filters so i sacrificed one and cut it open (that was a lot harder than i thought) to see what they looked like and they look like really nice oil filters? No cardboard on the top like that guy was mentioning. Full flow, good looking oil filter.

Check out the pictures and let me know what you think.

Paul

post-4023-12658321162847_thumb.jpg

post-4023-12658321254241_thumb.jpg

post-4023-12658321320208_thumb.jpg

All right, so you had me really curious about the PZ3 oil filters so i sacrificed one and cut it open (that was a lot harder than i thought) to see what they looked like and they look like really nice oil filters? No cardboard on the top like that guy was mentioning. Full flow, good looking oil filter.

Check out the pictures and let me know what you think.

Paul

You are not the only one that likes to cut apart oil filters. Clap.gif Check out this...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

I came across this last year I think from the very same discussion we are having now.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to remember about brands such as pennzoil quakerstate mopar gm whatever. They do not make their own filters. they buy someone elses filter and paint their name on it. The end result is even if you get one good filter, the next filter can be from another manufacturer, and made with much worse quality. To avoid this I always get the brands that manufacture their own stuff, such as fleetguard baldwin wix. That way I make sure I do not get any made in china crap.