Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best ballast bags/ pump

hyperlite

i did a search and couldnt find anything about the best ballast bags. i would like to know what most of the crew use and like or dislikes. are the fly high real conveinent. quick disconnects work well? what about the launch ballast bags? i would like something that that is easy, mess free, and has a durable bag. are the tsunami pump the best? i dont know much about this stuff ive always just used stock ballast and alot of people. i would like to get my 247 set up so i dont need to have alot of people. if i want to get a quick session and friends cant make ive still got a good surf wake. thanks for the help crew.

i did a search and couldnt find anything about the best ballast bags. i would like to know what most of the crew use and like or dislikes. are the fly high real conveinent. quick disconnects work well? what about the launch ballast bags? i would like something that that is easy, mess free, and has a durable bag. are the tsunami pump the best? i dont know much about this stuff ive always just used stock ballast and alot of people. i would like to get my 247 set up so i dont need to have alot of people. if i want to get a quick session and friends cant make ive still got a good surf wake. thanks for the help crew.

Fly High are without a doubt the most durable and best ballast bags made. Attwood Tsunami pumps are also very durable and long lasting. The fly high sacs don't have quick disconnects but that's just one less thing to break and leak like they do on the straightline sacs.

I suggest you get a custom fly high sac made so you don't have several sacs laying all over the seats. The custom sac will go under the seats instead of on top of them. You can also plumb it in so you can fill it automatically.

I'm finishing mine up with my custom sac I had made and adding 3 fill pumps and 2 drain pumps. I'll have pictures up soon

Edited by 06vlx
  • 3 months later...

Sorry about reviving this one.

So I am still assuming Fly High is the way to go. I have some questions to anyone with experience.

1. The rear lockers (I have a 2008 VLX) will they safely hold a ballast bag? And how much weight would that be?

2. I am thinking about getting a ballast bag to add on top of the seats, like the L-shaped one, for surfing. Any issues putting a bag on the seats? Any protection I should put between them to prevent damage.

3. How quickly can you fill up and drain these bags? I know people say it is fast but are we talking like 2 minutes or 10 minutes?

Sorry about reviving this one.

So I am still assuming Fly High is the way to go. I have some questions to anyone with experience.

1. The rear lockers (I have a 2008 VLX) will they safely hold a ballast bag? And how much weight would that be?

2. I am thinking about getting a ballast bag to add on top of the seats, like the L-shaped one, for surfing. Any issues putting a bag on the seats? Any protection I should put between them to prevent damage.

3. How quickly can you fill up and drain these bags? I know people say it is fast but are we talking like 2 minutes or 10 minutes?

Yes fly high bags and Tsunami pumps for manually filling.

You can safely put at least 800# in the trunks without problems.

I HATE bags on the seats and don't have to do it anymore after getting a custom sac made. I also hate manually filling bags and don't have to do that anymore either since integrated my ballast plumbing and wiring into my boat.

A fly high 750# sac takes about 5min with a tsunami 1200 gph pump.

I am not ready to start integrating anything yet. I think I am going to buy a few sacs and see how it goes. I was thinking about getting a 750 for each locker, mainly because I am goofy footed and everyone else is regular and I don't feel like switching the bags constantly. Also, I want to get a bow bag, this is where I was concerned with the bag on the seats. I am also considering an L-shaped bag for some added size on the surf wake. I think I will wait on the L-shaped bag though until I have determined I either need it or really want to see how big I can make the surf wake. I figure in the mean time I can always take out the opposite side locker sac when surfing and place it on the surf side by the seat.

Edited by wakeboy

There is one thing better than a Fly High sac. That is a Fly High sac that you have custom made to fit your boat and fill as much area in your rear compartments and under your surf side seats with as much water weight as possible. This keeps you from having to put fat sacks all over your seats and floor. Spend the money and have your sacs plumbed in so they drain and fill with the flip of a switch.

Check out this post

http://www.themalibu..._hl__surf%20sac

Your boat is capable of throwing a monster wave. It does require some weight though.

Edited by Rhino

Rhino, I just read that blog and it looks like you have done an awesome job of creating a huge surf wake on your 247. Now my boat isn't nearly as big as yours, but what do you think I should do to create a big wake. I am not looking to go over board or plumb anything just yet. I want to use this season to perfect the wake before I start spending more money on intergrating the sacs into my boat.

Basically what I would like is a wake that is decent size, meaning it has a nice big sweet spot and is clean. I would ideally like to do this with just two sacs. Any suggestions on what I need, where I need it, and how much weight would be appreciated. Lets assume I will have a small crew and I have no front ballast and I do have the floating wedge.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Rhino, I just read that blog and it looks like you have done an awesome job of creating a huge surf wake on your 247. Now my boat isn't nearly as big as yours, but what do you think I should do to create a big wake. I am not looking to go over board or plumb anything just yet. I want to use this season to perfect the wake before I start spending more money on intergrating the sacs into my boat.

Basically what I would like is a wake that is decent size, meaning it has a nice big sweet spot and is clean. I would ideally like to do this with just two sacs. Any suggestions on what I need, where I need it, and how much weight would be appreciated. Lets assume I will have a small crew and I have no front ballast and I do have the floating wedge.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

On the cheap; I would put a 750 in the rear surf locker and fill it from the bottom. You will have to do this by lifting up your rear corner seats to the left and right of your transmission. Fill the bag from there. I do this because you can get more water in the bag by not having to wedge the pump between the top of the locker and the top of the sac. You could get another 400 pound sac to throw on your seats with a small crew. Try the wedge 3 clicks up from the bottom and wedge all the way down.

On the Proper; measure the size of your compartments and under your seats in front of the compartments. have custom sacs made that will completely fill the rear compartment to the top and an arm that fits under the seat in front of the rear compartments. you will get a lot of weight in the boat this way without having to have exposed sacs. have them plumbed. your life will be easier and surfing experience much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go with the 750 in the locker and then get a walkway sac for the bow/middle in the 300 to 400 pound range. I may actually go with a 750 in each locker at some point, but right now I don't mind moving them just to keep costs down while I try them out. Plumbing will be in my future, but I don't want to plumb in sacs that might be too light or not placed correctly. Hopefully I will have everything done by the end of summer or at least the beginning of next summer.

I use Fly High and Tsunami. The quick connects work great, it is nice the quick connects swivel.

Fly High is made in the USA.

just added 2 750 fly high sacs, quick connects and two Tsunami pumps. fit perfect into the rears, fill and drain pretty quick. I plan to get two more pumps and have them hooked into the dash later this year, but for now with the 2 pumps and a little manual effort they are great.

I would also get the new vent plugs, one per bag that let the air out as you fill them. They do not come with the sacs, the quick connects do come with the bags now....at least mine did.