Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

illusion x tower

I have an 05 illusion x tower. The problem is the pin that holds tower up is stripped along with the threads inside the tower. It appears the person I bought the boat from before may have had this problem before. Any ideas on how to resolve the probem?

I have an 05 illusion x tower. The problem is the pin that holds tower up is stripped along with the threads inside the tower. It appears the person I bought the boat from before may have had this problem before. Any ideas on how to resolve the probem?

There are no threads on the pin that holds the tower up (towards the rear of the boat/rear of tower). You must be talking about the rear pivot bolt. The problem with that thing is that it's a nutsert. There is no easy way of fixing that, it's a pain in the butt. You'll have to find a way to keep that nutsert from spinning as you back that screw out. Then take the bases off the boat and get them replaced or order new bases from Malibu.

Edited by 06vlx

I had the same problem last week with the front bolt on my tower.

Put a helicoil kit in it. Shortend the thread on the bolt to suit. The dealer broke the back thread on the other side a few years ago and we did the same thing. Has been ok since then.

My illusion has bolts front and rear. Not sure if yours is the same.

I had the same problem last week with the front bolt on my tower.

Put a helicoil kit in it. Shortend the thread on the bolt to suit. The dealer broke the back thread on the other side a few years ago and we did the same thing. Has been ok since then.

My illusion has bolts front and rear. Not sure if yours is the same.

My tower has the two bolts as well. It the back that is stripped. Malibu sent me an email saying I may have to replace the base of the tower to fix problem.

My tower has the two bolts as well. It the back that is stripped. Malibu sent me an email saying I may have to replace the base of the tower to fix problem.

I have had a helicoil in the back bolt on the other side for a few years. The tower gets dropped everytime I store the boat at the moment. I havent had a problem with it since then.

I suppose it comes down to cost..

How much did they want for the base?

I can find out what size the kit was and how much. Dad picked it up and I haven't seen the invoice yet.

It was a bit of a pain to do the front bolt because the tower had to be lifted out to work on it. The back was easy, it's open when the towers down.