Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

340 Monsoon missing and stall after hitting wakes

Tasmanian Malibu Owner

Help Please,

I have just purchased a 2006 LXI with Monsoon engine, 910hrs. Has been running fine until last trip to the lake. When turning around and going back over our own wake, engine lost all power at moment of hitting wake, put throttle back to neutral and then accelerated again and no problem - I suspected at this stage maybe a loose electrical connection got rattled loose??? Then couple of skis later engine started missing. It wont back fire but is defiantely not runnning on all cylinders.

Any ideas?

Intermittant problems are the hardest to solve. Your symptoms lead me to the kill switch first, loose insert, loose wire, dirty contact,ect. Next I would check the ignition circuit from the key switch back to the ECM (EFI) relay.

Might be a good time for a tune up too. New plugs and wires, fuel filters, etc are never a bad idea. It's money well spent and it could be the root cause of your problem.

The missing when hitting the wake during a turn around does hint at something like a loose electrical connection. You didn't state if the second time it missed was during a "vibration" causing situation or not.

I assume your boat has an electrical ignition. I would check all those connections as well as the battery connections and the engine ground. The kill switch mentioned above is also a good thing to check out. A loose connection at any of these point could cause missing.

Might be a good time for a tune up too. New plugs and wires, fuel filters, etc are never a bad idea. It's money well spent and it could be the root cause of your problem.

No offense but, I think replacing a bunch of tune-up parts for a very specific cutting out issue is not going to solve anything. Although, the boat does have a lot of hrs. for the year.

Who knows if this boat has throttle by wire?

check the cannon connector and insure it is snug.

maybe wiggle it around a bit to abrade any light corrosion.

it carries most of the power and signal to / from the engine.

look for it near the ecm, large diameter, lots of conductors.

Edited by tvano

Cannon plug.

It should be at the rear of the engine, toward the stern in your boat.

This pic. is of my boat which is an older V-drive.

post-29-12649208162774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete

Check the kill switch connections both at the actual switch and also check all connections on the key ignition switch.

I had a a similar problem with an 02 Response LX, would cut out over wakes, checked EVERYTHING all over the motor, the kill switch, grounds etc. The problem was the screw that holds in the lead to the kill circuit had vibrated out on the ignition switch and was bouncing up and down over wakes causing the issue.