Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What you guys think of the Titan Series III Tower?

Defix9

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Bill_AirJunky

• Bobby Light

• Malibudude

My tower could be made of diamonds or tissue paper, as long as it holds up. The debates about what looks better and what is stronger are a little silly. My illusion tower could be half as strong as your titan tower, but I am not pulling water skiing elephants and I haven't had any issues yet. some people talk about how the illusion tower gives you a better view, but honestly I didn't really notice the tower blocking my view on my last boat without an illusion tower. also, it only matters what YOU think looks better on YOUR boat. I guess it is just a matter of what you like and what is in your budget. One thing I have noticed though is that people that have a Titan tower generally are very happy and people with Illusion towers generally are very happy.

I never gave the "looks" of my tower a first thought, so that was not my point. People just started telling me how good it looked and I thuoght "uhhh, ok?".

I never gave the "looks" of my tower a first thought, so that was not my point. People just started telling me how good it looked and I thuoght "uhhh, ok?".

That's a might purty tower you got there boy. Love.gif

I can't say enough good about Titan. The fact that they have 4 legs supporting all the weight & stresses seems to make them trouble free. I have a number of friends with Malibus, and the guys who bought the Illusion have had to deal with cracked gelcoat & bushings going bad. The guys who bought Titans have had zero problems.

As a foil rider, we put a lot of pressure on the tower. We do tricks out in the flats. Many times we're bigger, older guys who just don't let go of the rope very easily. And combine that with all the weight loaded on a tower, ie; foils, speakers, boards, etc. We stress towers out a lot. And Titan's take it. And keep on takin it. Rockon.gif

I can't say enough good about Titan. The fact that they have 4 legs supporting all the weight & stresses seems to make them trouble free. I have a number of friends with Malibus, and the guys who bought the Illusion have had to deal with cracked gelcoat & bushings going bad. The guys who bought Titans have had zero problems.

As a foil rider, we put a lot of pressure on the tower. We do tricks out in the flats. Many times we're bigger, older guys who just don't let go of the rope very easily. And combine that with all the weight loaded on a tower, ie; foils, speakers, boards, etc. We stress towers out a lot. And Titan's take it. And keep on takin it. Rockon.gif

I am not saying you are wrong, I just love how everyone always has a "friend" that has experienced whatever the topic is. You hear that a lot more than, "hey that happened to me once." Either way, I will say that I am not a foiler, I don't have any interest in foiling so I probably will never put the same kinds of stress that Bill_AirJunky will put on a boat and tower. I am a fairly big guy that wakeboards and I will slalom from time to time, and I have never heard or felt any movement in my illusion tower. I have not experienced any gel coat cracks, everything has held up perfectly and without fail.

Not only have I had no problems but my tower is so sturdy that I couldn't see myself ever needing anything stronger.

That is just my first hand experience and please take it for what it is worth. As I am not telling you what has happened to a friend of mine's boat but I also do not put the stress on it that Bill does.

Edited by wakeboy

Another thing to consider..... Metcraft has NEVER made a tower worth a damn.

Besides Malibu, Metcraft has made towers for Nautique, Tige & Calabria. And they all sucked. CC is going thru the issues now. Tige & Calabria got away from Metcraft after years of warrantying broken towers.

The fact that finally Metcraft finally died is a testimony in itself.

And the fact that Malibu decided to buy out Titan is another.

Except that what wakeboy isn't aware of & what I mentioned earlier is that the issues that Bill is talking about are known issues to Malibu. They know that Illusions are prone to cracking the gunnels around the tower feet. Not just gel coat but structural fiberglass. This isn't something that I'm saying because I know a lot of people that have had the issue (even though I do) or even the numerous times that I've seen it posted here (even though I have over the past 5 years of running this site). I've spoken with Bu dealers & with people at the factory, & this is a known, documented issue with the Illusion tower. One which is not a problem with the Titan. It may not happen with every Illusion or even the majority of Illusions, but it's a large proportion & the comparison with Titan's lack of problems over the years is almost laughable. You can believe me or not, but it's a fact.

Except that what wakeboy isn't aware of & what I mentioned earlier is that the issues that Bill is talking about are known issues to Malibu. They know that Illusions are prone to cracking the gunnels around the tower feet. Not just gel coat but structural fiberglass. This isn't something that I'm saying because I know a lot of people that have had the issue (even though I do) or even the numerous times that I've seen it posted here (even though I have over the past 5 years of running this site). I've spoken with Bu dealers & with people at the factory, & this is a known, documented issue with the Illusion tower. One which is not a problem with the Titan. It may not happen with every Illusion or even the majority of Illusions, but it's a large proportion & the comparison with Titan's lack of problems over the years is almost laughable. You can believe me or not, but it's a fact.

All that and you still decided to get the illusion on your VLX?

Titan has had 2 flaws in my book... (2004 T-2 example..)

1. The bimini THEY speced (built by Great Lakes???) with the curved telescoping tubes is a pita!

2. The joining bolt with the plastic handle was not worth the plastic it was made of! I made 6 of my own for $2.50. Andy's got one!

Neither of these are big issues and this is why I bring them up.

Never heard of gel cracking around a Titan.

In 2000 when at the Nor Cal boat show I was looking for a tower for my '99 SLXI. I was looking at strength, ease of use, strength, and lastly looks. I met Steve Sax while looking at a Malibu Display (Founder of Titan) He pointed out several bright points about the Titan (original Titan was the only option at the time) which made Boss and Pro Flight and the rest look kinda wimpy IMHO. SOLD!

As it turns out, I've never seen another Titan on a lake, ever. Aside from Andy's boat at the dealership...

Stick with the Titan, Why look like everybody else???

Edited by Faceplant409

Interesting Faceplant. I have the T2 on my 05. I think your referring to the big knob at the top that joins the two main sections of the tower together. I only break down my tower a few times a year, but have not had any issues with the process or the knob itself. Maybe they fixed it in 2005? I'd be willing to bet you can buy this thing in the parts bin at the likes of any Ace Hardware.

Show up at the NorCal WOW & we'll bring at least one boat with T3 for a test.

And one last point, I've recently become aware that there are a handful of dealers who have been recommending Titan over Metcraft for some time. Apparently they had so many issues with the Metcraft towers that they decided on their own that they did not want to mess with them any more.

Titan has had 2 flaws in my book... (2004 T-2 example..)

1. The bimini THEY speced (built by Great Lakes???) with the curved telescoping tubes is a pita!

2. The joining bolt with the plastic handle was not worth the plastic it was made of! I made 6 of my own for $2.50. Andy's got one!

Neither of these are big issues and this is why I bring them up.

Never heard of gel cracking around a Titan.

In 2000 when at the Nor Cal boat show I was looking for a tower for my '99 SLXI. I was looking at strength, ease of use, strength, and lastly looks. I met Steve Sax while looking at a Malibu Display (Founder of Titan) He pointed out several bright points about the Titan (original Titan was the only option at the time) which made Boss and Pro Flight and the rest look kinda wimpy IMHO. SOLD!

As it turns out, I've never seen another Titan on a lake, ever. Aside from Andy's boat at the dealership...

Stick with the Titan, Why look like everybody else???

I think that they had 3 different versions of the T3 before they got that one right. It has to do with the way that the front & rear hoops connect, they had a few different versions as I recall.

Interesting Faceplant. I have the T2 on my 05. I think your referring to the big knob at the top that joins the two main sections of the tower together. I only break down my tower a few times a year, but have not had any issues with the process or the knob itself. Maybe they fixed it in 2005? I'd be willing to bet you can buy this thing in the parts bin at the likes of any Ace Hardware.

Show up at the NorCal WOW & we'll bring at least one boat with T3 for a test.

And one last point, I've recently become aware that there are a handful of dealers who have been recommending Titan over Metcraft for some time. Apparently they had so many issues with the Metcraft towers that they decided on their own that they did not want to mess with them any more.

There were a few years in which the Illusion was the stock tower, & to get the Titan you had to pay an upcharge. This is why you see so few Titans over the past 4 model years & why most dealerships didn't push Titan all that hard, most people didn't know the difference. I got talked into it by the husband, but we'll go 12 rounds over that one next time if he decides that that's what he wants.

Well it is nice to see that I have the only good illusion tower made. I must be lucky I guess.

If it's working for you, that's great. Just don't base your overall opinion on that one experience, because as I said these are documented issues.

If it's working for you, that's great. Just don't base your overall opinion on that one experience, because as I said these are documented issues.

One experience? I own the boat and use it all the time. Other than people on this forum who have a "friend" that has this problem I haven't seen it anywhere else. Contacted my malibu dealer and he confirmed that the Titan Towers are built to be stronger but he knows of no real issues with the illusion towers. Also a search on the internet brought up no articles or anything else regarding problems with the illusion towers, just forums talking about second hand experience. I am not saying anyone here is wrong or lying, I am just saying that I am always skeptical when I hear the line "my friend had that happen to him once"

One experience? I own the boat and use it all the time. Other than people on this forum who have a "friend" that has this problem I haven't seen it anywhere else. Contacted my malibu dealer and he confirmed that the Titan Towers are built to be stronger but he knows of no real issues with the illusion towers. Also a search on the internet brought up no articles or anything else regarding problems with the illusion towers, just forums talking about second hand experience. I am not saying anyone here is wrong or lying, I am just saying that I am always skeptical when I hear the line "my friend had that happen to him once"

Let's just say that the Titan is less prone to issues than the Illusion. There is also alot less to the Titan tower than the Illusion. The Illusion is easier to collapst and put back up than the Titan 3 in my experience. I like both towers but for different reasons.

Just a wild guess, but are you referring to my own "second hand experience"?

Believe me, it's first hand. I don't make the payments on these boats, but have been on board to hear & see the issues where the lower bushings are getting hogged out, hear the knocking as the upper section moves up & down, see the cracks in the gelcoat, and see them a week later & 2" longer than they were a week before. This is not just something I heard on the net. I was riding in or behind the boat & had multiple discussions with the boat owners as they were trying to get the issues resolved.

There is at least one current thread in this forum where an Illusion owner is having issues. There was a suggestion made that the problem may have gotten so bad that he needs to replace the entire "foot" or base of the tower on each side. That is second hand for me, but enough that I'd be cautious & look further into it.

Do you think we're being malicious here? Like we should shut up about it & not let potential boat owners know about known issues? I can understand your skepticism if this was one problem & we're blowing it out of proportion. But I have at least a handful of first hand experiences with issues on the Illusion I, II & X towers, not to mention the other Metcraft junk that has been sold the last 10+ yrs. In fact, there is at least one active TMC member who has actually replaced the old Illusion tower on his XTI, had all the fiberglass repairs done & is now happily running a T3.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Just a wild guess, but are you referring to my own "second hand experience"?

Believe me, it's first hand. I don't make the payments on these boats, but have been on board to hear & see the issues where the lower bushings are getting hogged out, hear the knocking as the upper section moves up & down, see the cracks in the gelcoat, and see them a week later & 2" longer than they were a week before. This is not just something I heard on the net. I was riding in or behind the boat & had multiple discussions with the boat owners as they were trying to get the issues resolved.

There is at least one current thread in this forum where an Illusion owner is having issues. There was a suggestion made that the problem may have gotten so bad that he needs to replace the entire "foot" or base of the tower on each side. That is second hand for me, but enough that I'd be cautious & look further into it.

Do you think we're being malicious here? Like we should shut up about it & not let potential boat owners know about known issues? I can understand your skepticism if this was one problem & we're blowing it out of proportion. But I have at least a handful of first hand experiences with issues on the Illusion I, II & X towers. In fact, there is at least one active TMC member who has actually replaced the old Illusion tower on his XTI, had all the fiberglass repairs done & is now happily running a T3.

They are potential issues not known issues that all towers experience. I've never had these issues with either Illusion I've had.

They are potential issues not known issues that all towers experience. I've never had these issues with either Illusion I've had.

So if I knew about it, the boat owner knew about it, the Malibu dealer knew about it, and Malibu corp knew about it, doesn't that make it pretty well known?

Sorry, I understand your not having issues. And frankly I hope you don't. And your right that all towers experience issues from time to time. I just have experienced a really bad run of luck with Metcraft products.

One experience being yours, that's one. You can believe me or not, but like I said, my statement wasn't made based on how many people that I've known that have problems with theirs or even the numerous problems that I've seen posted here about it.

So if I knew about it, the boat owner knew about it, the Malibu dealer knew about it, and Malibu corp knew about it, doesn't that make it pretty well known?

Sorry, I understand your not having issues. And frankly I hope you don't. And your right that all towers experience issues from time to time. I just have experienced a really bad run of luck with Metcraft products.

I agree I think Metcraft sucked as a company. You know the Illusion is still offered by Malibu on the V-ride series so it's not like they ditched it.

I agree I think Metcraft sucked as a company. You know the Illusion is still offered by Malibu on the V-ride series so it's not like they ditched it.

No, I didn't know that. I have to warn you then, if someone asks me for an opinion about a Vride with an Illusion on it, I'll probably tell them one.

I have about a dozen rides first hand experience in an 09 Vride with the Illusion on it. And so far, so good. The owner & I are pretty tight & we ride with a 3rd guy who had first hand experience with Illusion bushings going bad in the first year on a VTX. So we are all watching closely.

BTW, I have about an hour or two of first hand experience on a 2010 VLX with the new G3 tower on it. I rode behind the boat & inside it while others rode. And I am here to tell you that there is a BIG improvement in that design over Metcraft designs. Time will tell how much better it is. But at this time I would encourage potential Malibu owners to consider a G3 or older Titan design over any Metcraft product.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky