Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXi vs SN 206

mlange

Guys,

I've currently got a 2004 RLXi and was originally considering a move to a SN 196, but with the lack of storage and open bow the few times the wife does actually go out with us it just wouldn't have worked. But I now have the possibility of getting into a new '09 SN 206 Team w/ ZO at a very good price that's making me think a bit.

I'm interested in some feedback from people that have spent an entire day in both as well as spent some time behind both. More specifically, I'm looking for feedback on the following:

* What it's like behind the boat at the 22/28-off lengths? I'm not expecting it to be as soft as an RLXi, but not sure of how different it would be.

* What's storage like between the two?

* Can I get a couple of 67" skis in the trunk?

* How does it drive compared to the RLXi?

* And what do you guys think the resale of the 206 will be like in a couple of years with the 200 being out now?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

I should add that I read the previous comparison that UWSkier wrote up at

But that was a 2004 SN 2006. It's an excellent write-up, but I'm assuming there's been some other changes besides just TBW and ZO between 2004 and 2009 for that boat.

Mike

Hey Mike,

I've spent a bit of time in & behind my buddy's 07 SN206. Since he does not read this board, I'll say that I personally do not care for it. I am by no means anti-CC ... several of my buddy's have 196s which I enjoy driving and skiing behind. Its a matter of opinion, but I feel there is a BIG difference for some reason in the wake characteristics between the 196 and 206. Best advice I can give is to be sure to ride behind one before making decision!! A group of about 5 of us skied regularly last summer (rotating w/ my RLXi, a 2003 SN196, and a 2007 SN 206). Oddly, the owner of the 196 didn't feel much difference between his boat and the 206. A couple other of us felt it was "night and day". I believe it is 22off that has the big bump.

With regards to handling, to me the CCs feel like they ride deeper in the water...more of a "plowing" , tank-like feel....compared to the RLXI which gives the feel of riding on top of the water. I'm not sure if one is better, just personal preference I guess.

Due to the tapered stern, I think fitting a 67" ski in the rear trunk of the Correct Craft is going to be tough...hopefully others will chime in.

In summary I would just say that the extra space you pick up w/ the 206 comes w/ its tradeoffs. Assuming you've spent time around 196s, do NOT assume that the 206 will be close to identical.

Hope this was of some help.

Edited by davemac

Just to add to what Davemac said, IMO the RLXI has way more open bow room than the 206. Why even have an open bow if you can't lounge comfortably in it? Especially when you can still have a world class slalom wake to go with it? With the filler cushion the wife and I can lounge comfortably in the bow and I'm 6'3". The one 206 I've skied behind (an '05 or '06 maybe??) I thought skied very well, but I only got a few sets behind it and never drove it. Most CC's drive like they're on a rail (the plowing sensation Davemac described) but I can't speak specifically for the 206 as I haven't driven one. I considered one when I bought my RLXI, thought the Bu was better for my tastes and usages. I.e. I wanted a world class slalom pull but I wanted storage room and lounge room to go with it. For me the Bu was the better choice.

Ed

Mike,

I read the "review" link you posted after giving my input. I think they guy sums it up pretty well. Your RLXi will give a much more athletic/ sporty feel. I also agree w/ his dislike of the 206's windshield, dash layout.

I think I just figured out why I don't like the 206 near as much as the 196... To accomodate the open bow seating, I believe they had to move alot of the cabin and cockpit weight towards the stern of the boat. Thus it does not plane as early, and rides "bow high" at lower speeds, thus emphasizing the windshield/ dash issue.

In looking at the specs of the brand new (big $$$) SN200 (open and closed bow), it looks like they sought to remedy the known disparity, and surprisingly kept both versions at an identical 2800#.

You can wait all you want for them to fix any bugs and try and go with the safest and smartest choice, like buying a camry and then your gas pedal sticks and you now are driving a safety hazard.

Yeah, they're looking for some big bucks for those things. I'm anxious to see one at the boat show in a few weeks.

With regard to your question of "resale" down the road for the 206, I would speculate that it may suffer a bit more than the 196...only because the advances w/ the new open bow are greater than the closed bow...making someone in the market for a open bow more inclined to go w/ the 2010+ model.

If you pull the trigger on something, Mike, let me know if you'll be looking to unload your RLXi's boom.

I bought my RLXI in 07. It got down to the Rlxi and the CC206.

The big problems I had was the CC dealer could not get a 206 to test ski. He called and told me to come down and ski the boat and when I went down he had a 196 in the water. I reminded him I was looking at a 206.

We did go in the 196 as he said he could not get a 206 but it would be close but not quit as good.

A Long story short. I ski and drive a 196 very often as one of my ski partners has one.

I also think the 196 drives very heavy. Not bad! Under ski speed it is very solid but not nimble. I was not willing to except very good when I could have outstanding.

I think the one thing I would need to do is ski and drive the boat.

I bought my RLXI in 07. It got down to the Rlxi and the CC206.

The big problems I had was the CC dealer could not get a 206 to test ski. He called and told me to come down and ski the boat and when I went down he had a 196 in the water. I reminded him I was looking at a 206.

We did go in the 196 as he said he could not get a 206 but it would be close but not quit as good.

A Long story short. I ski and drive a 196 very often as one of my ski partners has one.

I also think the 196 drives very heavy. Not bad! Under ski speed it is very solid but not nimble. I was not willing to except very good when I could have outstanding.

I think the one thing I would need to do is ski and drive the boat.

Wow, that is some sleezy salesmanship right there. Sounds more like what people describe of MC dealers.

I had a customer in 07 that actually went to both plants (M and CC), skied at Drew Ross Ski School behind the RLXi, and while at the CC plant Andy Mapple skied him behind both the 196 and the 206.

The end result was the customer purchased the RLXi. He had a long letter of reasons why, but in short he said "if he could have lived with a 196 than it would have been a tougher choice, or he would have considered a Response. But the 206 did not ski anywhere close to the RLXi"

Hope that helps -

Peter

...With regard to your question of "resale" down the road for the 206, I would speculate that it may suffer a bit more than the 196...only because the advances w/ the new open bow are greater than the closed bow...making someone in the market for a open bow more inclined to go w/ the 2010+ model.

Onlyinboards.com has a few '04 - '05 206's under $25K asking price for well equiped and reasonable hours boats. Around the same or less than a comperable RLXI. I was surprised, I'd have thought they'd go for more than that since the new retail is way higher. Tells us something about the resale I suppose. The late model ones though were BIG $$$'s.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I saw you put your boat in the classifieds. I didn't want to hijack that thread.....what did you chose to go w/ for a replacement??

Dave (Good luck w/ the sale)

If things work out a new 2009 206 Limited. We'll see how everything goes with the timing of mine selling vs. whether or not the 206 is still available. I think I've got mine priced pretty fair, but it would probably help if it were April or May rather than Feb.

Mike

I typically ski behind a RLX or RLXi (depending on who's boat we take). Last summer I went to Orlando for a business trip and escaped long enough to ski for an hour at Orlando Water Sports complex. They use a team edition SN196 at that facility. To put it bluntly, coming from the Malibu...I was very disappointed with the SN all around. The wake performance was okay at 32-35 off when I was free skiing, but when I dropped back to 15' off to take a couple course runs, I was very shocked. The wake was hard and HUGE compared to my Malibu. Despite being on edge, I was still jumping the wake....a little scary when you're not used to it. Aside from wake performance, the fit and finish of the 196 was not good. Now keep in mind this was the base "team edition". It had the snap-in carpet (which they had removed)....it felt very cheap getting into a $50K boat with a bare floor....keep in mind this is all about the 196....I can't imagine the 206 would preform better....they only way I'd jump to a SN is if I could pony up the cash for the new 200 open bow..