Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Idling Problem Monsoon 335

Hi All

This is my first post from Australia. I have a 2003 Response LXI fitted with a Monsoon 335 with approx 200 hours. This is an Australian built boat, but is virtually the same as the US versions.

This season I have been having trouble with the engine idling at between 1000 and 1200 rpm. It is very intermitent, and can sometimes occur regularly through a day on the water, or sometimes not at all. The enginge will run up to the high revs, I will turn it off and restart and it will be fine. I am also occasionally getting an audible alarm (beep beep) for aprox 30 seconds,although the temp is fine(160) and oil pressure is fine.

I have had the throttle body cleaned, but is i still happening. It has been suggested to me that there may be a sensor issue. Is anyone able to give me any info around this.

Appreciating your assistance. Thanks

Bettsy

Sounds like you may need to clean your IAC (Idle air control) or your TPS (throttle position sensor) these are both located right above the K&N air filter on the plenum. The usual symptom for and IAC is a reving up and down at low RPMs, can't tell from your description if this is what's happening.

Also there are two oil pressure sensors located above the oil filter, one feeds the gauge and one feeds the ECM, it is possible that the ECM is getting a 0 oil pressure reading and putting the boat into limp mode.

-Chris

Like 99 said, clean the IAC. It is the device with four wires going to it. Only three thing can make your alarm sound. Low oil pressure, high engine temperature, or high transmission temperature. The first two use separate sensors than the ones for your gauges, so one of those sensors, most likey the oil pressure switch, has gone bad. It normally fails in the alarm condition.

You should clean the IAC and the throttle plate as well. You can buy throttle body cleaner and clean both parts. Open the throttle up (engine off) and Spray just enough at the throttle plate to clean it but don't empty the can. The engine will be flooded and may smoke for a bit afterwords just so you know. The smoke comes from all of the carbon and soot that gets kicked out of the induction system. Again this is normal.

I don't have the wiring in front of me but check to make sure the MAP sensor (don't think boats have a MAF)is giving a proper signal. But like most have said the IAC is the most likely problem with an idle problem

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen low voltage cause the same symptoms in a few cars. The computer will freak out if it does not have 12 volts, or 14 volts if its running. One I worked on a few weeks ago, had a weak battery. It would run fine if it would start with a good charge, and have a high idle if it was started with 11 volts or less.

First thing I always check on computer controlled vehicles, including my boats, is the battery and the charging system. It only takes a couple minutes to check and has saved me lots of parts chasing.

My '03 is due to go in for the re-flash/ software update pre-season. Mine manifests as an intermittent surge/spike in rpms to around 1100 when coming down to idle (i.e. after dropping off a skier). I wait for the surge to subside before going back into gear. Happens about 10% of the time. More of a nuisance than anything else, but looking forward to the fix.

Hopefully this is info is of help. If this sounds like your problem, a search for "throttle surge" might get you more info.

• 3 weeks later...

It is either the IAC or the TPS....I had the same exact problem. Mine ended up being the TPS, which surprised me. At any rate, try popping out the IAC and start the boat...you should see the "shaft" on it moving in and out trying to adjust (the boat will run like crap when doing this). If you see the "shaft" of the IAC trying to compensate by moving, there's a good chance that's not it and it is your TPS.

• 4 months later...

My '03 is due to go in for the re-flash/ software update pre-season. Mine manifests as an intermittent surge/spike in rpms to around 1100 when coming down to idle (i.e. after dropping off a skier). I wait for the surge to subside before going back into gear. Happens about 10% of the time. More of a nuisance than anything else, but looking forward to the fix.

Hopefully this is info is of help. If this sounds like your problem, a search for "throttle surge" might get you more info.

Can you tell me if you had the ECU flash done? I have an 04 Response LXI withe the same problem. It idles fine when you first start it but after running it at speed and then comming to a stop the idle jumps between 600-1200 rpm. I followed the suggestions of the others in this post and changed the IAC sensor, TPS sensor, PCV valve and fuel filter and nothing helped (except my wallet is a few hundred dollars lighter). Does this reflash fix the problem?

Yes, it fixed my problem. I had it re-flashed before this season started. The tech did it in the parking lot of the dealership while I waited. From the laptop he was unable to determine exactly what version of software I had, so just uploaded the most current.

Yes, it fixed my problem. I had it re-flashed before this season started. The tech did it in the parking lot of the dealership while I waited. From the laptop he was unable to determine exactly what version of software I had, so just uploaded the most current.

Awesome. I am having it reflashed tomorrow. Hope it works!

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to get this reflash done on my 03. Do they have a name or procedure # for it? Any good info they put on your bill?

• 6 months later...

Hi All

This is my first post from Australia. I have a 2003 Response LXI fitted with a Monsoon 335 with approx 200 hours. This is an Australian built boat, but is virtually the same as the US versions.

This season I have been having trouble with the engine idling at between 1000 and 1200 rpm. It is very intermitent, and can sometimes occur regularly through a day on the water, or sometimes not at all. The enginge will run up to the high revs, I will turn it off and restart and it will be fine. I am also occasionally getting an audible alarm (beep beep) for aprox 30 seconds,although the temp is fine(160) and oil pressure is fine.

I have had the throttle body cleaned, but is i still happening. It has been suggested to me that there may be a sensor issue. Is anyone able to give me any info around this.

Appreciating your assistance. Thanks

Bettsy

I am also from Australia and have a similar problem. Would like to know how you fixed yours. My Idle would fluctuate up and down until it stalled. I had no alarms however. This could happen all day or only once - it was completely random. I read your article and removed and cleaned the IAC and the TPS and the throttle body and now it idles at 1400. Bit useless when putting in gear. There were some comments made about reflashing the computer. Is there anywhere where I could get that done in Brisbane Queensland. Or is there somewhere where I can by the Programmer to do it.

This problem has become the destroyer of all good wakeboarding days. I am even thinking of selling the boat. Can somebody please help!

I am also from Australia and have a similar problem. Would like to know how you fixed yours. My Idle would fluctuate up and down until it stalled. I had no alarms however. This could happen all day or only once - it was completely random. I read your article and removed and cleaned the IAC and the TPS and the throttle body and now it idles at 1400. Bit useless when putting in gear. There were some comments made about reflashing the computer. Is there anywhere where I could get that done in Brisbane Queensland. Or is there somewhere where I can by the Programmer to do it.

This problem has become the destroyer of all good wakeboarding days. I am even thinking of selling the boat. Can somebody please help!

Hi Loose Cannon

I am still dealing with this issue. I have replaced the oil pressure sensor, and this has fixed the alarm problem. The idling problem is still occuring. I have the boat into the only inboard marine shop in Canberra today, where the prop/skeg/shaft is being repalced after hitting a submerged log. (insurance covers this). Whilst it is there, the throttle position sensor is going to be replaced, so I will see if that fixes the problem.

Brisbane - there is a Malibu dealer there, and they would be able to do the re-flash. There contact number is (07) 3265 8042. If the problem persists with mine after this part is replaced, I will take it to the Malibu dealer in Sydeny and get it re-flashed (I have discussed this with them and it is easliy done).

Regards

Bettsy