Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Older Boat Values?

srestum

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and am looking to sell my 1994 Flightcraft this spring. My problem is that I can't find any relevant, useful information on valuing it. I've seen what people are asking for similar models on the internet through boat websites, and maybe I'm crazy, but the amounts people are asking seem extremely high (upwards of $15k). Am I missing something? The boat was handed down through the family so I didn't purchase it myself and I don't use it enough to be a boat buff, but the thing is 16 years old! It's in good condition, but a 94 automobile isn't worth $1000! Anyway, I don't want to lose money, but I also don't want to price it where it won't sell. Any ideas on how to get a reasonable value that will entice a buyer without shortchanging the seller, me. Thanks for the help. Scott

Typically I would price similar boats using various sites like Craigslist.org, boattrader.com or onlyinboards.com. You can search multiple Craigslists using sites like crazedlist.org too.

http://www.nadaguides.com also has Flightcraft info, although I'd consider all those values a starting point & not the real deal.

But it sounds like you've done a bit of that. And maybe what your seeing is residual from the high prices of new boats, and the fact that it's almost spring.

But your right, $15k seems a bit steep for a 16 yr old boat. These boats seem to bottom out about $10k in 1/2 descent shape though. So pick a number in the middle. Depending on where your located, I imagine it would be worth around $11k or $12k, more if you have a lot of extras, less if it's in bad shape.

I did alot of research before purchasing a mint condition 2001 sunsetter for around $16,000. and I agree that many boats are priced way above N.A.D.A. retail. It also seems that many high priced boats are not going anywhare so how quick you want to move it makes a big differance. Keep in mind that most value guides do not include trailers.

A 15 year old boat could be a cherry that has been used very little and always garaged, or it could be an abused POS that has been stored outdoors with no cover. So whether your boat is a $10,000.00 boat or a $2,000.00 boat depends a lot on what kind of shape it is in. If you ask a reasonable price your boat it will probably sell.

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess I'll shine er up and put a price on it that I would pay for it. If it doesn't sell, so be it. It just appears that the market has overvalued boats. Now if summer would just get here...

One thing to keep in mind with that boat, it is a very specialized one. It is specifically set up and was built for barefooting. That can be good, if there is an eager customer out there that wants/needs a great footing boat. It can also make your wait long to have that specific customer come along and snap up your boat. They do not make boats like that any more, so if a footer is in your area and wants that type of boat, you should get a good price for it. The downside is that there won't be a big pool of customers for it.

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess I'll shine er up and put a price on it that I would pay for it. If it doesn't sell, so be it. It just appears that the market has overvalued boats. Now if summer would just get here...

You are wise beyond your years newbie Biggrin.gif It doesn't sound like you're in a big hurry to unload it. Why don't you get her all cleaned up and snap some pics and we could give a closer ballpark figure to start from.

The inboard is much less desirable the outboards are one of the best barefoot boats ever made. An inboard in great shape may fetch up to $10k, otherwise I think somewhere between $5k and $8k is realistic in this market.

-Chris

• 2 months later...

the outboards are going for 15k-20k depending on the motor. they are the best wakes period and you have to pay y for it

Edited by cjg454ss