Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Gage Puzzle

I have had a gas gage that does not work, just like many others. After reading the article about replacing the sending unit, I ordered the Tempo model from Overtons and installed it this week end.

It seems to be working except for one odd ball situation. If I put the blower fan on, the gas gage will slowly climb to full (only have a half tank). If I turn the blower off, then the gauge seems to be accurate.

I checked the two connections to the sender and all is secure. I did not have to cut any wires or make any splices.

Any suggestions?

Mine was doing the same thing plus the oil pressure & water temp guages would also rise. I added a 10 ga wire from the battery ground to the ground pad under the right side of the dash. It works great now.

Maybe it's a Sportster thing. Someone else with a Sportster last week had the same problem.

I have had a gas gage that does not work, just like many others.  After reading the article about replacing the sending unit, I ordered the Tempo model from Overtons and installed it this week end.

It seems to be working except for one odd ball situation.  If I put the blower fan on, the gas gage will slowly climb to full (only have a half tank).  If I turn the blower off, then the gauge seems to be accurate.

I checked the two connections to the sender and all is secure.  I did not have to cut any wires or make any splices.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure the guage is accurate, changing a sending unit without a guage of the same impedance can be problematic, did you verify in fact the sender will work with your stock guage??

I was the other sportster owner with the gauge problem....my engine temp gauge fluctuated with the blower on. I checked engine ground and grounding bar under the dash and they looked good, so I ran an 8 gauge from the bar to a battery and it eliminated the problem.

nice pic zz......i actually have that as my avatar on wakeside.

Edited by yabetcha
I have had a gas gage that does not work, just like many others.  After reading the article about replacing the sending unit, I ordered the Tempo model from Overtons and installed it this week end.

It seems to be working except for one odd ball situation.  If I put the blower fan on, the gas gage will slowly climb to full (only have a half tank).  If I turn the blower off, then the gauge seems to be accurate.

I checked the two connections to the sender and all is secure.  I did not have to cut any wires or make any splices.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure the gage is accurate, changing a sending unit without a gage of the same impedance can be problematic, did you verify in fact the sender will work with your stock gage??

The gage seems accurate because I did not put the seat back into the boat so I could watch the level of the tank in relation to the gage. I just added another ground wire from the battery to the ground block. I will verify the results later this week.