Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black Material when removed drain plug

I have an o9 vride when on last run at idle i heard like a flapping sound i had taken some water over the front during the 4 days on the river , when i lifted the back seat there was this black material splashed around what i can only assume is the gearbox didnt seem to effect the temp or oil pressure when took out of water and removed drain plug I used as stick to free this black material wasnt oily anybody got any thoughts?

If its a hard, thin, black, and flakey substance then its been in every Malibu I've ever been in. It almost looks like black paint chips but thinner. I have no idea what it is either.

If its a hard, thin, black, and flakey substance then its been in every Malibu I've ever been in. It almost looks like black paint chips but thinner. I have no idea what it is either.

That's the black plastic from the ventilation tubes slowly degrading. Our boat has always had it, but after I had my drive shaft coupling suck one of those tubes up that wasn't tied back very well and I got to learn the hard way what that black stuff is.

The driveshaft unwound the wire inside the tube all the way to the back of the boat, but only ripped the black tube at the coupling (the wire is inside the vent tubing to keep it from kinking like a dryer vent hose). Attached is a pic of the coupling with 20 feet of that spiral wire wrapped tight around the shaft. You can see some of the "black stuff" in the bilge. Some of the wire ripped up the rear tranny seal as it wound it in. That was fun to replace, but only cost $6. Thumbup.gif

post-7666-12645375203825_thumb.jpg

post-7666-12645375278875_thumb.jpg

That's the black plastic from the ventilation tubes slowly degrading. Our boat has always had it, but after I had my drive shaft coupling suck one of those tubes up that wasn't tied back very well and I got to learn the hard way what that black stuff is.

The driveshaft unwound the wire inside the tube all the way to the back of the boat, but only ripped the black tube at the coupling (the wire is inside the vent tubing to keep it from kinking like a dryer vent hose). Attached is a pic of the coupling with 20 feet of that spiral wire wrapped tight around the shaft. You can see some of the "black stuff" in the bilge. Some of the wire ripped up the rear tranny seal as it wound it in. That was fun to replace, but only cost $6. Thumbup.gif

Hey martinarcher, have you seen it all? Or is it just an illusion!?! I can only imagine the WTF going through you mind as you first caught a glimpse of that.

Hey martinarcher, have you seen it all? Or is it just an illusion!?! I can only imagine the WTF going through you mind as you first caught a glimpse of that.

Yeah that was certainly a WTF moment. The funny thing is the wire coil that was wrapped around the driveshaft was covered up by the floor until I could get it home and pull that section of the floor up.

Once I swam to the boat (wife was pulling me when the tranny started slipping), I pulled up the dogbox up only to see about 2 inches of water/tranny fluid in the bilge. Surprised.gif

I threw the anchor and called for a tow. At that point I thought I blew a tranny seal or the housing had cracked. That was a depressing ride back to the dock. Towboats aren't supposed to be towed!

Once I got home and tore into it I saw the wire and realized what had happened. I ordered the seal that night (Sat) and had it that week. We were back on the water the following Sat.

Funny part of the story....

My grandma misunderstood and told my uncle (boats with us - 2000 Sunsetter LXI) that our tranny blew on Sat. You should have seen his face when I pulled up beside him a week later. Biggrin.gif

I have an o9 vride when on last run at idle i heard like a flapping sound i had taken some water over the front during the 4 days on the river , when i lifted the back seat there was this black material splashed around what i can only assume is the gearbox didnt seem to effect the temp or oil pressure when took out of water and removed drain plug I used as stick to free this black material wasnt oily anybody got any thoughts?

That black material automatically goes away when you start using periods when you post.