Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dead Battery

My boat has been sitting for about 3 months or so and one of the two batteries was completing dead. I bought the boat new in February 2007. I put the "Battery Tender Jr." on the batteries and they are both fully charged. My question is, do I need to worry about the "dead" battery holding the charge or are there any long term effect from letting it die? It is a "Trojan Starting" battery.

Thanks for any feedback

My boat has been sitting for about 3 months or so and one of the two batteries was completing dead. I bought the boat new in February 2007. I put the "Battery Tender Jr." on the batteries and they are both fully charged. My question is, do I need to worry about the "dead" battery holding the charge or are there any long term effect from letting it die? It is a "Trojan Starting" battery.

Thanks for any feedback

Is it a wetcell battery or an AGM battery? Starting batteries in general do not do well when they've been depleted. If it will charge back up and hold it's charge it's probably going to be fine. The other question to ask is how did the battery die in the first place.

Edited by 06vlx

Is it a wetcell battery or an AGM battery? Starting batteries in general do not do well when they've been depleted. If it will charge back up and hold it's charge it's probably going to be fine. The other question to ask is how did the battery die in the first place.

I don't know as I do have a "Perko" switch and I turn it OFF every time I put it away.

I don't know as I do have a "Perko" switch and I turn it OFF every time I put it away.

I would just keep a close eye on the condition of it. If it shows signs of weakness replace it.

I just went through the same thing with my house bank/stereo battery. Took a dump on me so I picked up 2 interstate 6v 242 amp hour batteries to replace it.

Edited by 06vlx

I would just keep a close eye on the condition of it. If it shows signs of weakness replace it.

I just went through the same thing with my house bank/stereo battery. Took a dump on me so I picked up 2 interstate 6v 242 amp hour batteries to replace it.

Thank you for the information !!

Thanks for any feedback

I think it depends, when you say completely dead, do you mean completely dead, or 10.5 volts or what? I have my perko turned off and the boat has been sitting for about 2 months now. Mine read 11.7 and turned over the engine a couple days ago. So it hasn't drained down as fast as yours but there are certainly other contributing factors that could cause yours to deplete faster.

Running the battery completely dead is definitely going to shorten the life of the battery. That being said, I have done it and have used the same battery for more than a year. I would save a little money and just keep an eye on that battery until it becomes a problem.

When charging a battery that is comp flat, It is best to hit it with a very high charge for 15 mins,,,Then slow the charge down until complete..Good Luck!!