Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question for SLXI Owners

kbtheboz

I don't have and can't figure out a "good" way to secure the transom of my boay. With a Dorsey trailer and the overhang of the trunk there is a weird angle back to the trailer connection points. I'm afraid if I use anything to tie down the transom I'll marr the gelcoat. What have you guys done?

I've heard of people using the fake fur/fabric seatbelt covers and I thought about using neoprene. In reality I just use a set of retractable tie downs and try to make sure there is no grit in there...

Mine's got a few little scuffs on the back of the boat from the tie down straps. I tried a bunch of things but was never able to get it just right. I give it a quick buff now and then, kind of the way it is. Good luck...

You and I have the exact same setup. 2001 SLXI and a Dorsey trailer. My transom straps have a padded side that rest against the gel coat. Never had so much as a scratch.

I have the straps with the rubber padding - they've worked great, but the rubber is also about shot because of how high I need to keep them & the angle coming off the boat. might try the seat belt covers next time around.

I place a 4-5 inch piece of foam pipe insulation ( 8' length costs about $2 at any hardware store) between the gelcoat and the tiedown before cinching it up.

No scuffs or scratches, and I tow several thousand miles/year.

I used to use a piece of soft cloth. Now I just strap it down and go. No noticible marks on the gel so far. Why did they not put the tie down eyes underneath the trunk overhang?

I had a '99 SLXI and I used 2 pieces of carpet from a speaker box project. I cut them long and put a slit in them so they would fit over the transom eye before the tie down hooks were attached. Worked good.

P

I place a 4-5 inch piece of foam pipe insulation ( 8' length costs about $2 at any hardware store) between the gelcoat and the tiedown before cinching it up.

No scuffs or scratches, and I tow several thousand miles/year.

Or cut a couple of "noodles" the length you need, and wrp you tie-down straps in them. They also work well over the cover straps. Inexpensive and easy to work with.