Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Dry Suit

Sullivan

I only went with the O'neil because I felt I needed to try one on before I ordered it. I'm six foot 239 lbs and the sizing chart for the O'neil doesn't go that high so I went to my local Malibu dealer and they had close to twenty suits. I tried the extra large on and once I got it on I was extremely pleased with the neoprene around my neck. It is very cumfortable compared to a rubber seal. IMO

Is neoprene waterproof? I thought they used that stuff in wetsuits.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemac

• areamike

• Wakes

• Sullivan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It can be. You've probably noticed the "hybrid" drysuits- with neoprene legs and baggy tops, or the (neoprene) SWS drysuits that many here prefer and recommend. My understanding is they are more likely to let a bit of moisture through then the latex seals, but still do the job, and are warm. It is a heavier neooprene than what you would see on a wetsuit, shorty or heater shirt.

ONeill Boost is touting the neoprene neck seal as being easier to get over a head of hair then latex is. I'm follicly challenged so it doesn't impact me too much.

With your specs, I think you may encounter more difficulty finding the right fit w/ a neo dry suit.

So I guess it is down to oneill boost, eagle, and the stay dry. I'd definitely go baggy. I like the sounds of that neoprene neck seal on the Oneill, from what I've read the neck seal is what most people have a problem with on these suits. The saving a hundred bucks by going with a Wileys is nice and the Eagle lets me put it on and take it off myself as well as providing comfy materials. Sounds like a suit manufacturer needs to put these 3 elements together :).

So it comes down to how much better that neck seal is I think.

So I guess it is down to oneill boost, eagle, and the stay dry. I'd definitely go baggy. I like the sounds of that neoprene neck seal on the Oneill, from what I've read the neck seal is what most people have a problem with on these suits. The saving a hundred bucks by going with a Wileys is nice and the Eagle lets me put it on and take it off myself as well as providing comfy materials. Sounds like a suit manufacturer needs to put these 3 elements together :).

So it comes down to how much better that neck seal is I think.

I guess if I had to choose between those three, I'd go with the Eagle. Not simply because I own one but for a couple reasons. It's cheaper than the Oneil. Has the front zipper and is made of "friendlier" material.I've worn a drysuit with a neoprene neckseal versus the rubber and I think the rubber does a better job of keeping the water out. If you are worried about the tightness, pick up one of the neck rings davemac mentioned earlier. I actually would not consider the Wiley's one much at all. You get what you pay for and buying a "cheaper" drysuit is not worth it to me.

Whatever suit you decide to go with, I recommend picking up a bottle of Seal-Tech as well. It will prolong the life of your seals and help keep them from cracking. Most drysuits will come with the zipper wax/zip-tech.

http://www.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=113

One other thing I forgot to mention. The Eagle's zipper is made from a plastic type rubber substance. It is very lightweight. My Ocean Rodeo Pyro Lite's brass zipper got a kink in it once and I had to send it in for replacement as it was near impossible to zip anymore. I don't see that happening with the type of zipper the Eagle has.

EDIT: The neck ring davemac mentioned is listed on this page. It's kind of hard to find.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Drysuits/Drysuit_BootiesGlovesNeck_Ring/index.asp

Edited by areamike

Well thanks for all the good info! I've been kinda reading in the back ground and actually just ordered an Eagle Sports Dry suit from H2O Pro Shop. Along with the seal spray and zip tech as well. We'll see how well I like it when it arrives. I've never been in one but ALWAYS wanted one seeing how I'm from Utah where's it's warm! Ha... Waiting for the ice to melt to go get the new boat on the water :D But anyways. I also ordered some Eagle life vests they seem to be very promising. I've actually been looking for some like that (thin and well fit). Does anyone or has anyone here purchased these and have any opinions on them? No one around me has tried them so. Figured I'd give em a shot, for the price I can't see them not being what I want.

I also ordered some Eagle life vests they seem to be very promising. I've actually been looking for some like that (thin and well fit). Does anyone or has anyone here purchased these and have any opinions on them?

Those are the vests that Parrish was pimpin' at the Diablo Shores Tournament where I picked up my A-1. I already have a Nevin comp vest as well as an HO comp vest and didn't feel like explaining to the wife why I needed a third comp vest on the same day that I was trying to explain the new stick. :lol: I tried one on and it was very comfy with outstanding back support. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to add one to my selection this next season. Biggrin.gif

Those are the vests that Parrish was pimpin' at the Diablo Shores Tournament where I picked up my A-1. I already have a Nevin comp vest as well as an HO comp vest and didn't feel like explaining to the wife why I needed a third comp vest on the same day that I was trying to explain the new stick. :lol: I tried one on and it was very comfy with outstanding back support. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to add one to my selection this next season. Biggrin.gif

Yeah, I've never tried one but Eagle vests have been getting excellent reviews from skiers.

Edited by Wakes

Yeah, I've never tried one but Eagle vests have been getting excellent reviews from skiers.

There's a video of the Eagle Vests on BFC and or Eagle Sports.

The one thing nice about the Eagle vests is they don't- tend to "ride up" on you.

The one thing nice about the Eagle vests is they don't- tend to "ride up" on you.

That's why I stopped wearing speedos. Surprised.gif

Just Kidding .... I still wear speedos Biggrin.gif

I mean, no I dont Whistling.gif

Oh it is way too late to be up posting.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Eagle Drysuit and two vests from Eagle in the mail. Haven't got the chance to use them yet but an very impressed with what I received and can't wait to try em out! The Life vests seem AWESOME! Everyone does keep asking me about the buoyancy of them thinking I'm gonna drowned or something lol. But I love em! For the price tag, they're well worth it. Just gotta stay away from the Po Po's seeing that Utah requires ya to wear/have US Coast Guard approved vest. :D

Anyone got any other tips to stretching the neck out?? Has anyone, or is it even possible to over stretch it out to where it's to loose? I seriously can't stay in mine for more then a minute without feeling my face go red.

Funny, you mention this. I just trimmed mine. I got the Eagle late last fall and used it one...great suit, but neck was ridiculously tight....to the point where I knew that I would inevitably lose consciousness. I have a 17" neck, and got the XL suit. I was told the neck wouldn't be a problem??

After unsuccessfully trying to stretch it w/ a soccer ball, I read that only the neoprene seals are stretchable...not so much the latex ones.

After watching the following video on youtube, I conducted the surgery on mine a couple days back. I was terrified that I would slip and cut my wrist open w/ the razor blade....or worse, screw up my $350 suit. (I had one strong drink to calm nerves before proceeding)

If in doubt, I would bring it to a dive shop and let them do it. My suit had about 9 or 10 "rings" in the neck seal. I ended up cutting 3 of them off (one at a time). I probably will cut one more off, but want to try it first as it now is. It definitely improves with each seal ring you remove.

Good luck

martinarcher

Funny, you mention this. I just trimmed mine. I got the Eagle late last fall and used it one...great suit, but neck was ridiculously tight....to the point where I knew that I would inevitably lose consciousness. I have a 17" neck, and got the XL suit. I was told the neck wouldn't be a problem??

After unsuccessfully trying to stretch it w/ a soccer ball, I read that only the neoprene seals are stretchable...not so much the latex ones.

After watching the following video on youtube, I conducted the surgery on mine a couple days back. I was terrified that I would slip and cut my wrist open w/ the razor blade....or worse, screw up my $350 suit. (I had one strong drink to calm nerves before proceeding)

If in doubt, I would bring it to a dive shop and let them do it. My suit had about 9 or 10 "rings" in the neck seal. I ended up cutting 3 of them off (one at a time). I probably will cut one more off, but want to try it first as it now is. It definitely improves with each seal ring you remove.

Good luck

ROFL.gifROFL.gif You know you're a fanatic when your suit is worth more to you than your wrists. That is awesome. I'm the same way. Thumbup.gif

Don't put up with it Just get a Sahara Dry Suit. Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gif

I will never go back to tight latex seals. Whistling.gif

Sixball,

My coworker who I ski w/ just picked up a SWS Sahara. I'm curious to get his feedback after we get back in the water (soon). He got a pretty good deal on a closeout at Barts (although it was hidden on their website). I'm wondering if they are not being discontinued? He had a hard time finding anyone who had his size, and nobody seemed to be re-stocking them.

... nobody seemed to be re-stocking them.

:unsure: It's the end of winter. No retailers want to sit on that kind of inventory $$$ all spring and summer. Not saying that they are not being discontinued... :dontknow: ...I have no idea. Just saying that it's not the time of year for retailers to be buying drysuits.

I've heard mixed things about cutting the rubber so opted on stretching it out first. At first I went with something about 1"-2" bigger then my neck... Didn't work at all. Still was DEATHLY tight... So said screw it, grabbed the garbage can out of the office (was the only thing with about the same circumference of a basketball) and threw that in there. It's helped A TON!!! I can actually where it around now without being choked. Anyone else buying the Eagle Drysuits. THEY WILL STRETCH! ;)

A7x, good to hear it worked for you. I've currently got a soccer ball in mine...hoping to get just a bit more out of it (as I don't want to chance more trimming).

I did re-silicone the seal immediately after cutting...not sure if it makes any difference as to longevity, but figured it can't hurt.

Any idea how many "rings" your neck seal came through w/. I'm wondering if mine just missed the trimming process at the factory.

:unsure: It's the end of winter. No retailers want to sit on that kind of inventory $$$ all spring and summer. Not saying that they are not being discontinued... :dontknow: ...I have no idea. Just saying that it's not the time of year for retailers to be buying drysuits.

Unless they own the company.... like Wiley's does.

I have an old Sahara too. We call it a semi-dry. The neoprene is way more comfortable. Just doesn't allow you to layer up underneath, or keep me as dry. It could very well have been better when it was new.

I'm pretty sure mine has them all on it... It's got about 1/4" before the rings even start so. there's prob 8-10 rings I wanna say??? Never counted em lol. But just keeping it around something huge for a few days really helped loosen up the elasticity of the seal.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll be happy w/ the baggy one from Wiley's. The price is right. I've heard good things from several people who have them. I'm sure Darren will get you set up w/ the correct size. Better to be too big then too small. As the baggy will "suck" to your skin when in the water, you can easily get away w/ a larger size.

We are looking at purchasing drysuits and saw Wiley's mentioned several times. Can't seem to find any info or contact numbers for them. Can you help?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Since starting this post I purchased the O'Neil ($290 at AWS) with the neoprene neck. I love it. It is a great suit. I started out with my vest on the outside and then just yesterday I put the vest on inside the suit. Way more flexibility and freedom. I took a tumbler around three ball yesterday and must have done three cart wheels. No leakage!

Very comfortable and I highly recommend this suit.

Since starting this post I purchased the O'Neil ($290 at AWS) with the neoprene neck.

AWS?? Adrenaline Watersports??

How did you get it for $290?? It's listed on their site for $380.

AWS?? Adrenaline Watersports??

How did you get it for $290?? It's listed on their site for $380.

Active Water Sports. $380, did I pay that much for it. Holy Smokes, I could have sworn I it was $290. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Edit: http://www.activewake.com/oneill-boost-drysuit.html

$380 is the correct price.

Edited by Sullivan