Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Dry Suit

Sullivan

Hey Guys,

I am looking at getting a Dry Suit and would like to get some advice from you guys. I looked at the hybrid suits and these look nice. I like the idea of not having a loose fitting suit on my legs. I am a stocky guy with a thick neck and I read that the all rubber seal on some of the suits can be a real pain the neck. What are you guys using?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemac

• areamike

• Wakes

• Sullivan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Guys,

I am looking at getting a Dry Suit and would like to get some advice from you guys. I looked at the hybrid suits and these look nice. I like the idea of not having a loose fitting suit on my legs. I am a stocky guy with a thick neck and I read that the all rubber seal on some of the suits can be a real pain the neck. What are you guys using?

I like my baggie O.S. System suit. O'neill and Sahara (sp) get high marks on this site. Might want to use the search feature on TMC. Another 2 months and will be busting them out.

If the weather holds out, I'll be meeting the guys around noon at Higgins Point tomorrow around noon. Air temps should be around 45, water temps around 40.

Most of us are using the Wiley's StayDry / Adrenaline style baggy suits... made in the same Oregon factory as the OS, Bare & numerous other baggy style suits.

Another one to check out is the NRS....

I have two drysuits. Both baggy. I have an Ocean Rodeo Pyro Lite and the new Eagle Drysuit(front load zipper). Both are really nice suits. The main reason I prefer baggy suits is because we ski in some of the coldest weather/water and I like to layer some clothing underneath.

Eagle:

http://www.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1379

Ocean Rodeo

http://www.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=267

As for the neck seal discomfort. Take an object a few inches more round than your neck. Put the neck seal around it and let it sit for a few days. I used a large tupperware bowl and it helped loosen up my neck seal some. I agree it can be very uncomfortable to the point you almost pass out. I don't recommend cutting any of the rubber seal rings in order to make the seals bigger.

Barts has a neck seal ring you can use while you have the suit on in between your ski runs. They don't have a pic of it on their site anymore, but it basically is a 1/2 inch round plastic circle with a hinge on one end and on the other. You unhinge it, put it around your neck, then snap it in front. You can then pull your neck seal up and over it to release the pressure on your neck from your seal.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=53629

SkiWarm Men's SWS Sahara Drysuit. Six of us have gone to this suit. Very warm, seals are comfy and don't need to be replaced.

My suit is now six years old and not a problem yet. One guy has one 11 years old. It does leak a little but it is usable.

My neighbor has the top Oneal. It also looks good and does not have the tight rubber seals.

I had a Bear and it was good but I hated the seals and the seals went bad after 5 years. I did keep them lubed.

If it is very very cold we will sometimes use a tee under the SWS.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. This helps a ton, I really appreciate it and I plan on heading out next Saturday to try the new suit out. I went with the Wiley's since they are local and have always treated me well. I'll let you know what I think of it after I have some time in it.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. This helps a ton, I really appreciate it and I plan on heading out next Saturday to try the new suit out. I went with the Wiley's since they are local and have always treated me well. I'll let you know what I think of it after I have some time in it.

Whatever you do, DO NOT PEE IN IT! Crazy.gif

I think you'll be happy w/ the baggy one from Wiley's. The price is right. I've heard good things from several people who have them. I'm sure Darren will get you set up w/ the correct size. Better to be too big then too small. As the baggy will "suck" to your skin when in the water, you can easily get away w/ a larger size.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually ended up with an O'neill Boost baggy suit. I used it this past week and it was great. I was a little leary at first to let all the air out of the suit once I got in the water. The neoprene neck is very nice, not too restrictive. It went on easy too.

I think a dry suit would be killer to have and I don't understand why the ski shops around here don't carry them considering how cold our water gets :). I'd like to try one out but looking at some sizing charts I am a small in the height and waist but a large in the chest. Makes me quite leary about ordering one online without trying them on first.

Edited by Wakes

I think a dry suit would be killer to have and I don't understand why the ski shops around here don't carry them considering how cold our water gets Smile.gif. I'd like to try one out but looking at some sizing charts I am a small in the height and waist but a large in the chest. Makes me quite leary about ordering one online without trying them on first.

Hey Michael,

The way the baggy ones work, you can get away w/ one larger then you would think. When you get in the water and "burp" the excess air out (usually by yanking on the neck seal), the suit "sucks" to your skin. Going large also allows you to wear layers underneath. You can wear a vest under or over the drysuit (a matter of preference). I'm guessing we may have similar builds...I'm a bit over 5-9, 44 chest, 34 waist. I bought a baggy drysuit last fall. I was between the O'Neill Boost (which I have used and like) and the new Eagle (front zip), and went w/ the Eagle in an XL. If you haven't used one, it might take some getting used to having the neck seal squeezing on your neck. If too tight, you can leave a soccer ball in it for a day or two to let it stretch out a bit.

If between sizes, I suppose you could order both sizes and return the one that doesn't fit. As long as you haven't worn it in the water, I would assume most retailers would let you return one..

Thanks Dave,

Similar build, I am just a little smaller 5'5.5", 42" chest, 31-32" waist. The Wileys Stay Dry seems like a sweet deal. What is the motivation for paying an up charge for Oneill or Eagle? Are they more comfortable, durable, less maintenance, lighter? I am willing to pay it but only if there is a reason :).

My biggest concern with getting one too big is that it would bunch up around my legs. But being able to wear a layer underneath sounds nice though. I don't think local retailers will be willing to help me out - I wanted a vest for my dad for Christmas and they wouldn't bring one in. I suspect shipping both ways to an American retailer would hit me pretty hard so I would probably just guess the best I can and only return it if it absolutely didn't fit.

The main advantage I see with the Eagle over other baggy drysuits is two things. The front zipper. No need for anyone to "zip you up" and the inside material does not stick to your skin like most other baggy drysuits inner material does. Although, I don't usually wear my drysuit without anything under it. I usually have long johns, sweat pants and sweatshirt on for added warmth.

As for sizes, if in doubt go with the next size larger.

I usually have long johns, sweat pants and sweatshirt on for added warmth.

'performance underwear' (no, not racing stripes), as a base layer, handles the accumulation of sweat and doesn't feel cold / clamy during the cool downs between sets. even copes with a few leaks from bf spray or that occasional header.

'performance underwear' (no, not racing stripes), as a base layer, handles the accumulation of sweat and doesn't feel cold / clamy during the cool downs between sets. even copes with a few leaks from bf spray or that occasional header.

I wear something similar for my first layer. It's a pair of jogging tights with a thin layer of insulation.

Thanks Dave,

Similar build, I am just a little smaller 5'5.5", 42" chest, 31-32" waist. The Wileys Stay Dry seems like a sweet deal. What is the motivation for paying an up charge for Oneill or Eagle? Are they more comfortable, durable, less maintenance, lighter? I am willing to pay it but only if there is a reason Smile.gif.

My biggest concern with getting one too big is that it would bunch up around my legs. But being able to wear a layer underneath sounds nice though. I don't think local retailers will be willing to help me out - I wanted a vest for my dad for Christmas and they wouldn't bring one in. I suspect shipping both ways to an American retailer would hit me pretty hard so I would probably just guess the best I can and only return it if it absolutely didn't fit.

Plenty of people swear by the Wiley's option. Give Darren a call there, and he'll help you out w/ sizing. As Mike said, the benefit of the Eagle is that you're not at a buddy's mercy to zip/ unzip you.

As far as bunching up...that is sorta what the baggy suits are designed to do. Assuming you'll be slaloming, bunching on your legs is the least of your concerns (its the neck seal that gets my attention)...better to have it bunch up then flap in the wind. I've attached a photo of a stiff trying to get his numb back foot into the toe plate after popping out of the water....you can see how the material sucks to the legs. I think that I...I mean the stiff had a pair of sweatpants on underneath.

A drysuit, coupled w/ your closed toe RS-1 boots, would keep you pretty warm, Michael.

post-5162-12667999063_thumb.jpg

Edited by davemac

That picture actually helps more than anything. I was worried it would be too bulky for me to be interested in skiing in but I don't see any problems around the legs and it doesn't look too bad for the upper body either.

Yeah, and technically that suit is recommended for a height of 6'1" -6'2". I'm about 5'10" (w/ a 30" inseam). I went larger mostly for the chest/shoulder area. It is not a perfect fit, but (like I said earlier) once you're skiing, it is not a concern.

Another choice you could pursue (a few $$ cheaper) is the one thru adrenalinewatersports.com . I think possibly that they may even make their "house suit" themselves?? The perk w/ them is that they guarantee the seals for 3 yrs. You could call for sizing guidance.

A couple more factoids that might help you or others....

-in the picture, I had a long sleeve shirt and a comp vest underneath.

-The O'Neill Boost has a pair of suspenders inside...some like these, some don't. If the suit is too tall for you, they might be helpful.

-The Eagle (you can unzip yourself) remove your head and arms, and snug zipper to wear around your waist

-Barts sells a collapsable "neck ring" for about $10 that you can insert when in the boat, to relieve the pressure from the neck seal

Edited by davemac

I only went with the O'neil because I felt I needed to try one on before I ordered it. I'm six foot 239 lbs and the sizing chart for the O'neil doesn't go that high so I went to my local Malibu dealer and they had close to twenty suits. I tried the extra large on and once I got it on I was extremely pleased with the neoprene around my neck. It is very cumfortable compared to a rubber seal. IMO

I only went with the O'neil because I felt I needed to try one on before I ordered it. I'm six foot 239 lbs and the sizing chart for the O'neil doesn't go that high so I went to my local Malibu dealer and they had close to twenty suits. I tried the extra large on and once I got it on I was extremely pleased with the neoprene around my neck. It is very cumfortable compared to a rubber seal. IMO

That is interesting...I didn't realize that the (baggy) O'Neill Boost apparently changed to a neoprene neck seal (with wrists and ankles being latex). That likely would have effected my choice.

Anyway, here is a good example of the "flexibility" of sizing w/ the baggy suits. Previous to the Eagle, I also was using a Boost in the same size as Sullivan (XL)...and I'm a bit under 200 lbs.