Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floor replacement

Hey everybody,

Been a while since I have posted, but have come up against a project that I needed some input...

I have an '86 skier that needs the floor replaced. Peeled up the carpet, yea it's a mess. Brings me to my first question; the floor looks like a puzzle of wood pieces. Did malibu use what ever they could find laying around to make a floor, or can I assume somebody has already replaced floor parts in bits and pieces? So, when replacing, would I be better served by using as-big-a-pieces as possible? And should it be 'marine' grade plywood? How thick?

Seems like a couple of years ago, somebody did a write up of a floor replacement. I searched but couldn't find it, anybody have the link, or recall?

Any help, advise, input, or gottchas would be appreciated. I sincerely hope I have not bit off more than I can chew.

CaL

The planet nautique site has a lot of information on floor replacement as lots of members have boats from the late 80s early 90s vintage. It's great info on the process.

-Chris

Hey DB

I'm not a paying member, so I don't think I can post pictures.

PM me with your email and I'll send you pics from my floor replacement project on my '91 Brendella.

Kirk

Good luck on your project dbcheek, tread lightly and don't be suprised with anything you find. Mine has taken a turn for the worse. Not only is the floor bad, the stringers are mush, and I came to find somewhere along the line somebody did a thrash job on a previous stringer repair. My observation would indicate, if you have ANY obvious mush or rot - there is probably a LOT you can't see. If you think you just need to replace a little spot, plan for the worse and maybe you'll get lucky.

The wife and I are still pondering where to go from here.

Anybody need a great drive train and trailer?

Rich