Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Those with keyless ignition please chime in

water_junky

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• water_junky

• wakeboy

• Living the Dream

• calvod28

Hahaha, wow never thought about that. I guess a child that learns the code would cause a big problem.

From what I read and understand.......You only have to enter the code once at the start of the day. Then just press start each additional time you want to fire up the engine. So it's not a matter of a small child having to enter the code each time, they just simply have to push the start button! You could lock out the starter each time.....but then you have to enter the code again. Kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Koop

From what I read and understand.......You only have to enter the code once at the start of the day. Then just press start each additional time you want to fire up the engine. So it's not a matter of a small child having to enter the code each time, they just simply have to push the start button! You could lock out the starter each time.....but then you have to enter the code again. Kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Koop

If you used it you wouldn't think entering the code was a big deal. If you start your keyed boat the way I did it doesn't take any longer to start it with the code vs. key. Cycle the computer/fuel pump on both and then hit the start or key. It's pretty much the same thing.

If I remember from the summer the key pad needs the code if you haven't ran the motor in 30 minutes. I could be wrong but I thought I remember it being this way.

Koop

No I understand that. The point being that if you had small children on your boat you could lock out the starter, but if they learned the code then it is like giving them a spare key to your boat at all times.

No I understand that. The point being that if you had small children on your boat you could lock out the starter, but if they learned the code then it is like giving them a spare key to your boat at all times.

i would be concerned about the guy that seldom has kids on board and gets in the habit of not locking the ignition.

kids don't miss much.

have the driver dive in the pond for a quick swim only to find the boat running with a 3 year old captain would sure put an edge on the afternoon.

maybe not likely, i hope.

• 3 months later...

Well I just ordered all of the parts to convert my VLX to keyless, another project for the boat. Thumbup.gif

Terry

Just an update on the upgrade to keyless ignition. Just finished the upgrade today and it was easy has can be. The boat is pre-wired for the keyless, so it is totally plug and play. Takes about 20 minutes to do the upgrade.

Terry

Maybe I'm just anal, but I think the new dash looks bad without keyless....it's not symetical on both side if you don't get the keyless....you have two panels on the left and one on the right and a hole...looks bad in my opinion. I ordered it..partly for looks, and partly because it will be nice not to worry about keys and a huge floating keychain in my pocket at the bar! Oh wait....what do I flash to pick-up the chicks now? :innocent:

My feeling is the point of keyless ignition is to eliminate the need for a key to start your boat. No more worrying about lost keys. Kids are smarter than you think and will easily pick up on how to start the boat either by twisting the ignition key or pushing the start button. If you are really concerned about a small child starting your boat while you are away from the captains chair, you can disable the engine by pulling the main fuse or removing the ignition coil wire.

I have a 2008. Would it be an uprade option for me? I don't think it would but...

As for kids pushing buttons, my kid knows never to touch the keys that I leave in the ignition 24/7 and never to mess with keys in a car. It would be the same thing with this. Set the rules up front and make sure they know. Pretty simple.

How does it work with turning off and on the boat when switching riders, it would get annoying to enter a code all day.

Here is an idea, having one of those remote keys that need to be in the boat, maybe in the glove box. It allows you to turn on and off the boat whenever the key is in the boat but if you remove it it wont start. They use these in the new toyotas and such.

How does it work with turning off and on the boat when switching riders, it would get annoying to enter a code all day.

Here is an idea, having one of those remote keys that need to be in the boat, maybe in the glove box. It allows you to turn on and off the boat whenever the key is in the boat but if you remove it it wont start. They use these in the new toyotas and such.

From what I read above, you enter the code in once at the beginning of the day. After that you don't need to enter in any codes, just press the start engine button.

No need for a remote key, no need to enter in codes each time. At the end of the day you can disable the thing so the start engine button won't do anything prbably by entering the code again.

Simple & smart.

From what I read above, you enter the code in once at the beginning of the day. After that you don't need to enter in any codes, just press the start engine button.

No need for a remote key, no need to enter in codes each time. At the end of the day you can disable the thing so the start engine button won't do anything prbably by entering the code again.

Simple & smart.

Thats great, it would be nice to get away from the key and floater! Im in!

Simple & smart.

Your close, to lock the pad at the end of the day you press the stop button twice.

Terry

I have a 2008. Would it be an uprade option for me? I don't think it would but...

It's doable, if it would fit in your dash. Any pictures of your dash? I'm not sure what the 2008 looks like.

Terry

• 1 month later...

I have a 2009 23 LSV with less than 40 hours on it. The first time we took the boat out, we had to be towed in b/c the keyless ignition would NOT work. Dealer said that has never happened before, replaced it and sent us on our way. Long story short, we were towed again today for the 4th time and will need A FOURTH keyless ignition installed but was told it was on 3 months backorder! 5 of the 10 times we have taken our boat out we have been stranded. Last time we INSISTED they install a manual key start. We did get that working today, however, we had to crawl under the steering wheel and fix it b/c it wasn't properly installed (when you turned the key it just kept turning and would catch). Also, before the ignition fried today, we were hanging out in the cove with the boat turned off when out of the blue, it started up (nobody was even sitting in the driver's seat). Thankfully nobody was swimming or standing near the swim platform. We had to turn the batteries off to get the engine to stop running.

Anybody else had similar problems? Totally frustrated with the dealership and contemplating legal action.

I have a 2009 23 LSV with less than 40 hours on it. The first time we took the boat out, we had to be towed in b/c the keyless ignition would NOT work. Dealer said that has never happened before, replaced it and sent us on our way. Long story short, we were towed again today for the 4th time and will need A FOURTH keyless ignition installed but was told it was on 3 months backorder! 5 of the 10 times we have taken our boat out we have been stranded. Last time we INSISTED they install a manual key start. We did get that working today, however, we had to crawl under the steering wheel and fix it b/c it wasn't properly installed (when you turned the key it just kept turning and would catch). Also, before the ignition fried today, we were hanging out in the cove with the boat turned off when out of the blue, it started up (nobody was even sitting in the driver's seat). Thankfully nobody was swimming or standing near the swim platform. We had to turn the batteries off to get the engine to stop running.

Anybody else had similar problems? Totally frustrated with the dealership and contemplating legal action.

This is so bad I would be totalled P.O.ed Hopefully your dealer will step up to the plate and get this fixed properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have it in my first VLX, but ordered it in my 09 VLX I bought last yr.. Had tons of problems with it, wouldn't start, would leave the MUX's on and drain batteries if I didn't turn Isolator off, I would have to hit my code every time I stopped and wanted to start again. Everytime I hit STOP, it would kill all my accesories and I'd have to punch in my code again to get stereo working again. Honestly I thought I little bit of a pain.. I had it at the dealer, they worked on it for a long time this winter to get the bug out, but finally it ended up being the wiring. I took it out this yr and don't mind it as much as I did last yr.. According to my dealer, he said they had quite a bit of troubles with them and they aren't ordering any boats with them this yr. So I just ordered a new 2010 VLX and ordered it without the Keyless.. Great idea I think, but less worries with key.. Just something else electronic to go wrong IMO..

• 3 years later...

This is the second keyless failure for me prematuely ending a big week end once including a long tow. Last weekend happened again and after 4 hrs of disecting the keyless pad and analyzing why it happened i discovered that the one of the internal buttons came apart because some little girl in china had a bad switchbuilding day. It has a very fragile construct and a heavy finger on thise buttons deforms the puny bracket that holds the internal button parts together causing the contact mechanism to shift thus no message to controller to finish the code. It a crappy construct and should be scrapped. If what u are saying is true they must be having a lot of replacements making the back order situation bad. I just want a key and screw this thing

sounds like he needs that direct ignition jumper switch.... I had one for my boat after my MTC fail and Xstar tow in...

I just sold it on here last month.... they cost $150 or so....I think I bought it from Smooth WaterSports???? .... it was almost 2yrs ago so not sure.

It allows you to quickly plug a jumper into the ECM and start regardless of a MTC fail, safety lanyard fail, relay fail, code/PIN fail.... just about anything as along as you have power to the starter. It might even start with the throttle in gear so be careful.

And yes, ridiculous as a boat owner you have to mess with stuff like this.

CA46B791-5896-436E-A0FA-406E3555790E-101