Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Those with keyless ignition please chime in

water_junky

Hate to complain about something so simple, but as many times as I quickly start the boat on a good Sat, that would get real old punching the code in every time I want to fire up the boat. It's just too easy to hit the key. I think ours has been out of the ignition once since I bought the boat. Heck, it's in the ignition in storage right now. Biggrin.gif

Plus1.gif

I agree 100% My keys stay in the Ign all the time unless I have it at the slip at the lake for the weekend. I have a metal tool box that I secured to the floor below the observer seat that has a spare set and I store the Ipod, stereo faceplate, GPS, tools, and marine radio when it's in the slip. I put a combo lock on the box so in the UNLIKELY event that I do lose the keys, I'm not hosed!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• water_junky

• wakeboy

• Living the Dream

• calvod28

I have it on my 09 VLX and it's pretty easy to use. I always took the keys out if I left my boat in a parking lot or something in fear of someone starting it out of water. Then I'd get to the lake and forget them in my truck and have to go get them... Now I have nothing to worry about and I never have to worry about loosing the keys either.

I have it on my 09 VLX and it's pretty easy to use. I always took the keys out if I left my boat in a parking lot or something in fear of someone starting it out of water. Then I'd get to the lake and forget them in my truck and have to go get them... Now I have nothing to worry about and I never have to worry about loosing the keys either.

yea you bring up some good points, certainly sounds like a neat and convenient feature

The keyless ignition is really nice however we did have a problem with it about 5 hrs into owning the boat. The start button gave out while on the river. Not the best spot for that to happen! We had to cut open the rubber on the key pad and rebuild the button. I was really amazed at how delicate the button actually was behind that rubber. I was then starting the boat with a screw driver jumping the metal posts till the new part came in. We have had no issues with it since and now have 100 hrs on it. I like it a lot and your never gonna loose or dare I say forget the keys! That being said I would like to see some kind of back up system.

I have keyless ign on my Ranger it has been flawless. But as a option i have a keyswitch ziptied to the harness and can plug in if it fails. Knock on wood its been a awesome system. Its funny working at a boat dealership for a few years we only had one boat come in that wasnt 1234 lol. But i highly doubt a fellow boat enthusiast would steal another mans treasure :) well lets hope anyway. My wife kept asking me with oyr bu while it sat outside the house "are you going to take the key out of the boat? my response where they goin to take it Whistling.gif

Edited by CRASH

So I wonder why these are not a option item on the 2010 Malibu's?? Inquiring minds would like to know Whistling.gif

It is still listed as an option on the 2010 Malibu Boats web site. Dontknow.gif

to make things clear, it is an option on either the VLX or the 23LSV- These two boats have the newly designed dash, which can accept it as an option, if you stick with the traditional key, there is a nice little cubby in it's place

Didn't Correct Craft have a problem with the keyless ignition when they first started using them where the boat could start on its own? This would be real bad if it started up while it was sitting on the trailer in the garage and nobody was home. I'm sure it is highly unlikely, but it is theoretically possible.

to make things clear, it is an option on either the VLX or the 23LSV- These two boats have the newly designed dash, which can accept it as an option, if you stick with the traditional key, there is a nice little cubby in it's place

So the 247 does not offer it right??

I have thought about this mod for my Echelon LX. Could someone please post a picture of what the key pad looks like and where it is mounted in the new boats.

Thanks

How much? if you dont mind me asking

The cost was $353 for everything, keypad, harness, bracket, and bezel. We decided that we just didn't want to deal with keys when it is in our dock in Missouri. Here is Colorado it is in the garage when it is not used and the keys are in it all of the time.

Terry

So if all you have to do is enter the code once then hit 1 button to start/stop, I take back 75% of my agreement that keys are better for my situation. I'd have to play with it before I'd completely change my mind...

But if you upgrade does it leave a hole in the dash where key was or do you just leave the ignition key there unpluggin the back... and install keyless ignition on the right near the throttle?

Pics anyone Dontknow.gif

Seems like a cool option........unless you're in my situation. I have 3 girls and the oldest just turned 4. If I stop the boat to chill or have a quick swim in the middle of the lake, the keys come out of the ignition. It was a good habit to get into and now it's second nature......I leave the drivers seat with kids in the boat the keys come out if anyone is in the water! Anyone with kids know's they catch on fast and are very observant. Plus at this young age they still think Dad is "cool" and want to do stuff Daddy does! I'm assuming that pushing the start button would be easier than turning the key? From what I've heard you could just "double stop" (like you were done for the day) but IMO having to do this just defeat's the purpose. Just something for us parent's with small kid's to consider!

My how life changes with little eyes and ears around.....

Cheers Koop

Edited by Koop

Seems like a cool option........unless you're in my situation. I have 3 girls and the oldest just turned 4. If I stop the boat to chill or have a quick swim in the middle of the lake, the keys come out of the ignition. It was a good habit to get into and now it's second nature......I leave the drivers seat with kids in the boat the keys come out if anyone is in the water! Anyone with kids know's they catch on fast and are very observant. Plus at this young age they still think Dad is "cool" and want to do stuff Daddy does! I'm assuming that pushing the start button would be easier than turning the key? From what I've heard you could just "double stop" (like you were done for the day) but IMO having to do this just defeat's the purpose. Just something for us parent's with small kid's to consider!

My how life changes with little eyes and ears around.....

Cheers Koop

Hahaha, wow never thought about that. I guess a child that learns the code would cause a big problem.

Does the ingnition lock up if someone enters the wrong code several times? If it does, how long? If it does, I could see this beeing a real issue with kids. You're swimming and one of your kids is hanging out in the boat hitting the keypad. How long would you be stuck on the lake?

But if you upgrade does it leave a hole in the dash where key was or do you just leave the ignition key there unpluggin the back... and install keyless ignition on the right near the throttle?

Pics anyone Dontknow.gif

In the boats that have this as an option the hole where the keyed ignition is and the little pocket is where the keyless ignition goes. So no, there is no hole in the dash.

Terry

Does the ingnition lock up if someone enters the wrong code several times? If it does, how long? If it does, I could see this beeing a real issue with kids. You're swimming and one of your kids is hanging out in the boat hitting the keypad. How long would you be stuck on the lake?

Reminds me of when I managed to press too many buttons on my microwave one time and the thing locked me out for a half hour.

Reminds me of when I managed to press too many buttons on my microwave one time and the thing locked me out for a half hour.

And then when it fired up, I pissed my pants and forgot who I was for half an hour!Christmas.gif