Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Those with keyless ignition please chime in

water_junky

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• water_junky

• wakeboy

• Living the Dream

• calvod28

I've only used the one in our Corvette boat and it's pretty sweet not having to deal with keys and have them dangling around on the dash.

No issues other than forgetting to tell your service guy your ignition code so he can't service the boat Biggrin.gif

-Paul

I've only had it on our cars but having it on a boat would be great. Not having to arry those keys around all the time. I love'd it on our car and think all vehicles should go to them. We did'nt experience any problems with them at all.

How does the keyless ignition work. Is it similar to a car where you need the key fob? Or is there another way of preventing people from driving off with your boat?

I just leave the key in the ignition, essentially keyless ignition, but I don't tell the whole world about it.

I do the same thing when it is on my dock or one of my friends' docks. When I go to the bar or a restaurant on the lake, I take my key out. Mainly that is why I am curious about the keyless ignition. It sounds like a great idea, but I am sure there has to be some security measure built in.

Edited by wakeboy

Fwiw my buddies 05 nauti had it and he loved it, is this something malibu is thinking about doing?

It's available on 09+ wakesetters, not sure about the rest of the lineup.

Edited by 06vlx

Love it...No problems so far with 80+ hours. The convenience is the best part - you can program your own code. You enter the code one time at launch and then just hit start /stop - when you're done hit stop twice. I would definitely go for this option again.

Voice recognition, keyless would be the bomb.

"Computer, start boat"

Or you could name the computer to respond to the name.

"Shania, start boat. Good girl."

Now you are getting my interest up.

I just leave the key in the ignition, essentially keyless ignition, but I don't tell the whole world about it.

Plus1.gif

It's a Large keypad on the right side of the dash. I like the cubby hole it has if it's not there. Perfect for the iPod or Phone.

Personally, I've had no problems with mine, but I only have 45 hours on the boat. I do like the fact I don't have to worry about keys. I'd order the option if I had to do it again.

But I did hear a story relayed by my dealer at the recent boat show. When I asked if anyone had any issues with keyless ignition, I was told one of their customers in fact did. He happened to be on a trip out of town and couldn't get the boat started. Ouch.

Personally, I've had no problems with mine, but I only have 45 hours on the boat. I do like the fact I don't have to worry about keys. I'd order the option if I had to do it again.

But I did hear a story relayed by my dealer at the recent boat show. When I asked if anyone had any issues with keyless ignition, I was told one of their customers in fact did. He happened to be on a trip out of town and couldn't get the boat started. Ouch.

I have heard concerns about that happening, but I'm looking at adding this option to my boat so I would probably keep the original ignition in my toolbox.

Terry

you have to punch-in a 4 button/number code and then press the start button to start it.

Hate to complain about something so simple, but as many times as I quickly start the boat on a good Sat, that would get real old punching the code in every time I want to fire up the boat. It's just too easy to hit the key. I think ours has been out of the ignition once since I bought the boat. Heck, it's in the ignition in storage right now. Biggrin.gif

Hate to complain about something so simple, but as many times as I quickly start the boat on a good Sat, that would get real old punching the code in every time I want to fire up the boat. It's just too easy to hit the key. I think ours has been out of the ignition once since I bought the boat. Heck, it's in the ignition in storage right now. Biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure the way it works is you only type in the code the first time to unlock the pad, then you just hit the start or stop button. When you pull the boat out of the water you hit the stop button twice to lock the pad again.

Terry

You are correct Terry...just enter the code to unlock the ignition then simply hit start and stop. When finished for the day enter the code again to lock the ignition. I rebuilt my old 89 Sunsetter and used an aftermarket keyless and it worked great. It also had a feature that would automatically start the blower. I believe it was from Merc http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/710-87-859660Q1.htm

You are correct Terry...just enter the code to unlock the ignition then simply hit start and stop. When finished for the day enter the code again to lock the ignition. I rebuilt my old 89 Sunsetter and used an aftermarket keyless and it worked great. It also had a feature that would automatically start the blower. I believe it was from Merc http://www.foreandaf...87-859660Q1.htm

OK - I take it back. If that's how it works, that's awesome. Now I want it on my Skier too. Biggrin.gif

Our 2009 Highlander has the keyless entry, keyless start. We both love it. Don't ever need to even have any keys in hand ever. Just walk up the the vehicle, put my hand on the door handle and it unlocks. Jump in and press one button and it starts. Pretty darn cool.

I don't think I would want it for my boat though.

Edited by areamike