Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet Saver

KSilva

Hey Guys & Gals,

I have an 08 VLX - I was thinking about getting a carpet saver for it. What are your opinions on them?

Where is the best (cheapest) place to get them?

Thank You,

Kevin

K,

Last time I checked the only place to get them was from a dealer, the manufacture won't sell directly to you. They are great to protect the carpet and easy to remove and clean. I do find during the extreme summer sizzle that even the carpet saver is too hot to stand on when its in the direct sunlight. They aren't cheap but all worth it imho.

I got a new set with my '05 Rlxi when I bought it last year. While skiing/underway they can't be left out, they'll blow around the boat and possibly out (in other words they don't anchor to the carpet). Only useable while anchored/lounging, otherwise they have to be rolled up and put away. Nice having them out while sitting for long periods but a PITA to have to put them away when you wanna cruise. FWIW.

Ed

I got a new set with my '05 Rlxi when I bought it last year. While skiing/underway they can't be left out, they'll blow around the boat and possibly out (in other words they don't anchor to the carpet). Only useable while anchored/lounging, otherwise they have to be rolled up and put away. Nice having them out while sitting for long periods but a PITA to have to put them away when you wanna cruise. FWIW.

Ed

i had one in our '07 VLX all last summer, and never once had a single issue with even the corners of the carpet saver coming up. this was at all speeds, in wind, and with the windshield/walkway open. They are pretty heavy and would be surprised to see them get blown around.

If you mean the big precut carpet with rubber bottom that lays on top of the interior carpeting? Thats what I have and it does not blow around, mine is heavy duty. I just remove to dry or clean, otherwise always on the floor in the boat. Also, I noticed Ed in his comment above referred to his savers as "THEM" but mine is one solid piece pre cut to fit my boat, Trust me it aint going anywhere.

Edited by Sandbagger

I have them in my 07 RLXI three pieces, there heavy and I have never had them move under power or trailering. I don't trailer much but have with no problem.

I like them my carpet is looking good. When and if I ever sell my boat someone will get a nice boat with little or no carpet ware. Like many have said easy to take out and clean.

I got mine through the dealer like $500.00.

Yep, no blowing around. My only issue is the fit. Mine has gaps of 2"-3" in some places, and dirt collects in the gaps. Still, I would rather have it than not.

I bought some commercial carpet door mats and cut them to fit my boat. They are rubber backed and can get hot on the hottest days until we drip some water on them from our ski vests and so forth. They are available in all kinds of colors and I had no trouble matching my navy blue carpet. These are especially handy when we go to Shasta or the Delta and get some red dirt tracked into the boat.

The kind I am speaking of are inexpensive and can be bought from an office furniture source, office supply store, and so forth. Like these:

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/commercial-industrial/comm-indoor-carpet.html

I bought some commercial carpet door mats and cut them to fit my boat. They are rubber backed and can get hot on the hottest days until we drip some water on them from our ski vests and so forth. They are available in all kinds of colors and I had no trouble matching my navy blue carpet. These are especially handy when we go to Shasta or the Delta and get some red dirt tracked into the boat.

The kind I am speaking of are inexpensive and can be bought from an office furniture source, office supply store, and so forth. Like these:

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/commercial-industrial/comm-indoor-carpet.html

I like the idea, when you cut them did the carpet stay attached along the cut edges?

Mine are not rubber backed so they must be aftermarket. Came with the boat so no idea where they came from, and yeah it's a 3 piece set. They were new though...

Ed

I have the factory carpet saver with the Malibu logo and it has been money well spent. No issues with movement trailering or otherwise, no roll up on the edges to create a tripping hazard and no issues with trapping moisture underneath. A bit pricey but it's funtional and with the added emblem it looks real good.

Yep, no blowing around. My only issue is the fit. Mine has gaps of 2"-3" in some places, and dirt collects in the gaps. Still, I would rather have it than not.

Mine has a bad fit as well but some I've seen are dead on. I know these boats are hand made but I am wonder if the Carpet Savers are based on a California factory made boat vs Tennessee factory boat. Any thoughs?

Edited by Laycon Row

I have a factory one for my 05 vlx and it kept working its way to the back of the boat. You also have to watch if the carpet gets wet underneath and you don't let it dry out it gets moldy! I have a gray one for sale for 05 vlx only used a couple of times...

I wonder how this would work with the new snap in/out carpets?

I don't think there would really be a point for a carpet saver if you have the snap out carpet since you can take the carpet out and clean it. I don't think there would be an issue fitting a carpet saver in the boat.

I have a factory one for my 05 vlx and it kept working its way to the back of the boat. You also have to watch if the carpet gets wet underneath and you don't let it dry out it gets moldy! I have a gray one for sale for 05 vlx only used a couple of times...

Check your PM box.

Mine has a bad fit as well but some I've seen are dead on. I know these boats are hand made but I am wonder if the Carpet Savers are based on a California factory made boat vs Tennessee factory boat. Any thoughs?

Mine seems to have shrunk. It fit much better when brand new, but now that its been wet and dried in the sun several times it seems to be smaller. I wouldn't think that it would shrink w/ the rubber backing, but it seems to have. Oh, and no blowing around. I bet mine (23 LSV) weights 30 pounds or more.

Shade

• 1 month later...

Looking to purchase one, still available?

I have one in my 09 vlx, i might be willing to part with if we can agree on a fair price.

I might be interested if I could get it to fit my 08 VTX somehow.