Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moving boat position on trailer

I have the typical 3 car garage and the 3rd bay just isn't big enough for the boat. Unfortunately the main double bay isn't either, it's about 4-6 inches short. I was just out jacking around dreaming of spring and noticed that the post that the trailer winch is on is not welded but bolted to the trailer(elete trailer) That got me thinking that if I just move that up about 4-6 inches the boat will be farther up on the trailer and it would fit in the main bay.My concern is shifting to much weight forward on the trailer? I've got a tandem trailer so I wouldn't think that little of a move would make a huge difference, the rear of the boat sticks out past the end of the traler anyway.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I have the typical 3 car garage and the 3rd bay just isn't big enough for the boat. Unfortunately the main double bay isn't either, it's about 4-6 inches short. I was just out jacking around dreaming of spring and noticed that the post that the trailer winch is on is not welded but bolted to the trailer(elete trailer) That got me thinking that if I just move that up about 4-6 inches the boat will be farther up on the trailer and it would fit in the main bay.My concern is shifting to much weight forward on the trailer? I've got a tandem trailer so I wouldn't think that little of a move would make a huge difference, the rear of the boat sticks out past the end of the traler anyway.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Why don't you just remove your swim platform?

I don't see what it would hurt as long as the tracking fins don't hit something.

I'd give it a try and see if the tongue weight is that much more. Do you tow it far/often?

I don't see what it would hurt as long as the tracking fins don't hit something.

I'd give it a try and see if the tongue weight is that much more. Do you tow it far/often?

No more than 30 minutes, of course I do that 3-4 times a week....but I'm hoping more this year.

Occasionally we take the long trip but not more than twice a year

Is that normal for those boats on that trailer to stick out past the edge of the trailer? My bunks actually stick out a couple inches past the stern. I would measure your tongue weight. Your boat is around 3000lbs and the trailer is 1500lbs so if your tongue weight is less than 450lbs you should have room to move the boat forward.

are you hoping to keep the boat in the garage year round?

if it's just a winter storage then i would consider moving the post forward once in the fall then reset the post to the oem position first trip in the spring.

moving the boat 4-6" forward will have a huge impact on the tongue weight. No issue for storage reasons, bit I'd bet it will add too much tongue weight for towing purposes.

You can use a bathroom scale using the method on the right of this page.

measure_tw_b_500.jpg

I would think moving the boat 6 inches would make the tongue weight go too high. One way to make sure though. Thumbup.gif

This is one good weigh to weigh the tongue weight, but if you want to get in touch with your red neck side, just have two men and a small boy lift the tongue. If it is too hard for them then you have too much tongue weight.

You can use a bathroom scale using the method on the right of this page.

measure_tw_b_500.jpg

I would think moving the boat 6 inches would make the tongue weight go too high. One way to make sure though. Thumbup.gif

Why not just put the tongue directly on the scale? Maybe put a small peice of sheathing with a 2x4 nailed vertically on top of the scale and then lower the jack until the roller is slightly off the ground.

Bill do you know your tongue weight? I would think 4-6 inches on a vdrive with a t/a trailer wouldn't make too much of a difference. But since the OP has a dd then I agree it would make his tongue too high.

You don't want to put it directly on the scale because a bathroom scale is only rated to around 300 lb typically. If you go over the weight limit of the scale you will get inaccurate readings and/or a broken scale.

Now if you happen to have a 500-600+ lb scale then go for it.

Edited by jesutton3

You don't want to put it directly on the scale because a bathroom scale is only rated to around 300 lb typically. If you go over the weight limit of the scale you will get inaccurate readings and/or a broken scale.

Now if you happen to have a 500-600+ lb scale then go for it.

I have a digital scale (450lb max) with a glass top, that's why I mentioned to use a small peice of sheathing, to disperse the weight. I'm not going to do it, it was just suggestion for someone else to try, and let me know how it goes Biggrin.gif I'm sure Bill knows his tongue weight, I'll just wait for his reply Thumbup.gif

I don't know my tongue weight. But using the method shown above will only put 1/3 of the weight on the scale. So even if it's 600 lbs, the scale is only seeing 200 lbs of it.

ah, in case your scale doesn't go high enough, got it!!