Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat winterized for long time

stocky

imho if it was properly winterized it should be good to go.

• give it a close visual,
  • install the impeller,
  • snug the belts and hose clamps,
  • double check the oil levels (eng + trans),
  • take an inventory of the safety gear and
  • get it wet.

i would let it sit on the trailer while it reaches operating temperature then add 5 minutes of run time (still on the trailer) keeping an eye on the gauges.

the fine print: i'm not a boat mechanic but have been in boats and spinning wrenches for, g, well, far too long.

good luck w it.

Winterization was done by the dealership. I put moth balls around the BU to help with the critters. I know it is still rodent free had the cover off it this past summer when my 1 year old was running around inside it. Planning on getting him swim lessons this spring and then put the 97 Response in the water.

I forgot to mention that I would definitely run the boat on the trailer for a little while before bringing it to the lake. Of course, do not put the boat in gear.

Second, I'd take a real hard look at the trailer tires for dry-rot.

I would be pretty worried about the gas, it has probably gone bad. I would replace that before I tried to start it.

Plus1.gif even if Stabil was used properly during the winterization 3 years ago, it has detiorated. If it has less than a quarter of a tank then I would probably fill it full with premium. If it has more than a quarter tank I would probably drain it.

• Fuel - Remove and replace with new
  • Impeller Replace with new
  • Pull coast guard lanyard switch (dead man switch) and roll engine over for 15-25 seconds to get oil primed and back to the top of the motor again.
  • Start motor and let idle until temperature starts to to register over 120
  • After first tank of fuel, change your fuel filters

Fluids should have been changed when they were winterized if it was winterized right. If they are clean there is no reason to change them out.

Hope this info helps!

-Paul

One other thing easily and often overlooked (don't ask how I know this) is the functionality of the trailer brake system. These are heavy boats and working trailer brakes make a difference.

Take it to a dealership and explain how it has been sitting for a while and let them know you need to ready to run again. Ask them to change the fluids and makes sure it is running well.

As said above, check your trailer tires. Tires that are sitting too long can develop a falt spot and eventually rot or become compromised. Just be wary of this, because I would hate to hear that you trailered the boat a mile form your house and then blew a tire and something happened to the boat, trailer, or truck. You never can be too careful with your investments.

One other thing easily and often overlooked (don't ask how I know this) is the functionality of the trailer brake system. These are heavy boats and working trailer brakes make a difference.

Also, a very good point. To go along with checking the tires. Basically I would visually examine the tires and slowly start pulling the trailer, and brake a few times to make sure the brakes are working effectively. If they are working I would take it around the neighborhood a few times just incase something happens, that way you are near home. From there, if it is looking good and the trailer lights are working then I would suggest taking it over to the dealership for a tune up.

Also, a very good point. To go along with checking the tires. Basically I would visually examine the tires and slowly start pulling the trailer, and brake a few times to make sure the brakes are working effectively. If they are working I would take it around the neighborhood a few times just incase something happens, that way you are near home. From there, if it is looking good and the trailer lights are working then I would suggest taking it over to the dealership for a tune up.

when first moving the rig leave the trailer connector off and carefully back up.

that should engage the brakes (because the reverse solenoid isn't functional w/o the trailer harness).