Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ski compartment

Yes, it has been discussed in detail here on several threads. The low point in your/our boat is fore of the engine box....in the ski compartment. Don't worry...unless it is an excessive amount.

If it is more than normal you may need to tighten your shaft packing nut. It's under the floor behind the engine compartment. It should only drip every 10 seconds or so at the most. This worked for me.

I have a 2004 Response lxi that likes to collect water in the floor ski compartment. Does anyone else have this problem?

A perfectly normal....and annoying problem that we all have to deal with. If you get more than a couple cups of water collecting in the ski locker after a day on the lake, you should tighten the shaft packing and/or look for any loose hose connections.

Showers can be a culprit for water in the bilge. Check that while you are under way if you have one. At higher rpms the water gets pushed through the pump out the head. I disconnect my shower head when it's not in use.

Putting the plug in the ski locker helps keep the water out of the locker.

....so long as the plug receptor and plastic "bulkhead" are properly sealed. Posts have shown that many have had to re-seal theirs.

I know it is an inboard, but the ski locker is supposed to be a dry compartment, sealed from the motor compartment!

I agree, it should be dry. But the operative word is "Supposed". As seen above form others, no matter what we do to keep that area dry, it always seems to leak since it is the lowest point in the boat. Plus, like my old cover, if your cover leaks and the boat is stored outside you will get water in there simply from the rain.

If you put the plug in it it should stay dry

Except for rain leaking through the cover, water over the bow, dripping kids and others standing around up there, putting wet skis back into it, spilled beer, stupid leaking coolers, the list goes on and on. It's a boat, things get wet. Look at how many have water infiltrate their supposed dry glove boxes.

Lots of us have the same problem. Someone once claimed the front tie-down was where they were getting water and removed and sealed it to solve the problem. I don't know where my water is coming from but it is a hassle to try and keep it dry. It seems that any water that gets in the bilge must move forward when you stop and enter the ski locker somewhere near the bow. I know there are several access hole in the top area of the ski locker but not sure if you can reach far enough in there to try and seal them.

/Steve

• 1 year later...

Lots of us have the same problem. Someone once claimed the front tie-down was where they were getting water and removed and sealed it to solve the problem. I don't know where my water is coming from but it is a hassle to try and keep it dry. It seems that any water that gets in the bilge must move forward when you stop and enter the ski locker somewhere near the bow. I know there are several access hole in the top area of the ski locker but not sure if you can reach far enough in there to try and seal them.

/Steve

I'm new to the forum .... my 2011 Sunscape SLV20 ski locker leaks, too. Seems to happen during use not just sitting in the water. When you say " front tie down" do you mean the bow mooring eye?