Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu 247 vs Nautique 230

pablo

I am still looking to buy a used boat. I am pretty sure I will get the 247 but i might be able to get a pretty good deal on a used Nautique 236. Same boat as the 230. Anyone looked at the two boats. 07 236 08 247 are the boats. 247 has the 8.1 liter. They are both priced pretty close to each other.

What are some of the pros and cons of both boats? Which boat would be better for wakeboarding?

I would think the 247 would have a better surf wake.

How wide is the wake on the 247? Is it much wider than the 23lsv? I wouldnt think so with it having the same 102 inch beam but does the length of the boat affect the width of the wake at all?

I am still looking to buy a used boat. I am pretty sure I will get the 247 but i might be able to get a pretty good deal on a used Nautique 236. Same boat as the 230. Anyone looked at the two boats. 07 236 08 247 are the boats. 247 has the 8.1 liter. They are both priced pretty close to each other.

What are some of the pros and cons of both boats? Which boat would be better for wakeboarding?

I would think the 247 would have a better surf wake.

How wide is the wake on the 247? Is it much wider than the 23lsv? I wouldnt think so with it having the same 102 inch beam but does the length of the boat affect the width of the wake at all?

I've heard before that the 236 is a pos, the 230 is supposed to be a much better boat. The 23lsv in 08'+ is 102" beam as well so would be the same as the 247.

Before I bought my VLX, I did test drive the 236. I don't have any experience with the 247, but I can provide my opinion of the 236.

I REALLY liked the wakeboard wake. I hate to say this, but I like it better than my VLX. It is a rounded wake rather than steep and peaked like the VLX. Transition is effortless and wake-to-wake tricks are much easier. It's like getting gently tossed across the wake rather than getting launched.

The main reasons I went with the VLX, though, was the far superior surf wake and interior. The surf wake behind the 236 (stock ballast) is not very steep and is VERY short. Compared to the VLX with stock ballast, it is terrible. Also, the interior is stiff and uncomfortable. The height from the floor to the top of the seats is way too short. You feel like your knees are in your face. As soon as I stepped into a Malibu, I realized that the interior was far superior.

My 2 cents, FWIW!

What year vlx are you talking about? Doesn't the 09 and up vlx have a more rampy wake? How does the 247 wake shape compare to the vlx and 23 lsv from 08 and up?

I have the '07 VLX. I do not have any experience with any other VLX or with the 247 or 23lsv (any year).

Thanks I don't know if the wake is that different from the new hull or not

Not sure what he's talking about, Malibu is known for the smooth rampy wakes in the wakesetter line. The new 09' VLX hull has an even smoother transition.

Not sure what he's talking about, Malibu is known for the smooth rampy wakes in the wakesetter line. The new 09' VLX hull has an even smoother transition.

that is what I thought. I always thought nautique had more of a steep wake than Malibu?

Do you have any idea how the 247 wake is for wakeboarding? Is it pretty similar in shape to the23 lsv and the 21vlx?

that is what I thought. I always thought nautique had more of a steep wake than Malibu?

Do you have any idea how the 247 wake is for wakeboarding? Is it pretty similar in shape to the23 lsv and the 21vlx?

CC is known for more a vertical narrow wake.

The 247 is going to be more like the 23 than the VLX due to beam width on the boats. All three are sweet rampy wakes but will be a wider wake than the CC. Maybe that's why he thought it was easier to go wake to wake.

Edited by 06vlx

The 247 is going to be more like the 23 than the VLX due to beam width on the boats. All three are sweet rampy wakes but will be a wider wake than the CC. Maybe that's why he thought it was easier to go wake to wake.

Ya i think you are right about the wake being wider on the malibu boats. It seems like it wouldnt be a whole lot wider since the 230 has a beam just one inch less than the 23 and 24lsv.

This is a little off the topic but how much more weight am i going to need to use to sink the 247 vs the 23 lsv to get huge wakeboard wake? I have heard alot of people say it is huge right out of the box but has anyone ever really sacked this thing out for wakeboarding?

I bought a 247 at the same time a good friend bought a Nautique 230. Between the two boats, we put over 400 hours on them this summer. Both great boats. Ability to adjust 247 wakeboarding wake with wedge gives it flexibility that the 230 doesn't have, but the 230 wakeboarding wake is sweet. 247 surf wake is better than the 230 in my opinion, but it takes a lot of weight to get it to its max. Friend's 230 takes about 750 lbs down the side and in the corner to make a good surfable wake. 247 takes over 1000, but makes a really great wake when properly loaded. At the end of the summer, I love my Bu, and he loves the Nautique. Of course, I am smarter than he is, so I think the answer is clear.

I bought a 247 at the same time a good friend bought a Nautique 230. Between the two boats, we put over 400 hours on them this summer. Both great boats. Ability to adjust 247 wakeboarding wake with wedge gives it flexibility that the 230 doesn't have, but the 230 wakeboarding wake is sweet. 247 surf wake is better than the 230 in my opinion, but it takes a lot of weight to get it to its max. Friend's 230 takes about 750 lbs down the side and in the corner to make a good surfable wake. 247 takes over 1000, but makes a really great wake when properly loaded. At the end of the summer, I love my Bu, and he loves the Nautique. Of course, I am smarter than he is, so I think the answer is clear.

ROFL.gif

How do the two boats compare in handling? Is the 230 more agile being a smaller boat? It looks like the 230 dry actually weighs more than the 247. How do the two wakes compare for wakeboarding? Is the 230 a steeper wake? Can you make the wake as steep in the 247 using the wedge?

Do you put 750 lbs down the side of the 230 and another 750 in the back corner? Are you putting 1000lbs in the back and along the side of the 247 or just a total of 1000 for the surfwake? Does the wedge help at all when surfing?

What motor do you have in your 247?

PLUS, you are here and he is not. Just bolsters your self assessment.

It seems like it is a matter of preference between steep narrow wakes or rampy wide wakes.

I mainly prefer the wider wakes because on my last boat I used to land way out in the flats. I would prefer to make a wide wake peaky rather than start with a peaky narrow wake. Plus I like hitting the wake hard and flying way out wide, covering that much space in the air feels like flying.

The CC is much more slugish to drive, they feel under powered and very heavy turning, the malibus no matter what size will out perform with ease in the turns and going onto plane, you need to drive the two to feel the difference.

The other thing that I have noticed is alot better fuel economy over a CC or MC , you can get boattest .com they have all the test data.

Those are two points that I hear a lot from different boaters on and offline. Malibu seems to cater to the driver, knowing that the person buying the boat is going to be doing the majority of the driving, it makes sense to continue to make a nimble and effortless driving experience.

"How do the two boats compare in handling? Is the 230 more agile being a smaller boat? It looks like the 230 dry actually weighs more than the 247. "

I drove them both throughout the summer, and think they handle similarly. The 247 rides better in rough water than the 230.

"How do the two wakes compare for wakeboarding? Is the 230 a steeper wake? Can you make the wake as steep in the 247 using the wedge?"

The wakes are clearly different. I think the 230 is steeper than the 247 even with full wedge, but the 247 with full wedge seems taller in total height, and can be varied more easily with the wedge. If you got used to either boat's wake, you would probably prefer it over the other.

"Do you put 750 lbs down the side of the 230 and another 750 in the back corner? Are you putting 1000lbs in the back and along the side of the 247 or just a total of 1000 for the surfwake? Does the wedge help at all when surfing?"

We surf the 230 with full factory ballast in the corner plus a 750 sack in the rear compartment. You have to put a little more than 750 in the corner of the 247 to get a similar wake. I have a customer 1100lb bag in the corner of the 247, and with crew on the seats, the wake is huge. I swear by the wedge for surfing. Really lets you dial in the wake with different weight configurations.

"What motor do you have in your 247? "

400hp Hammerhead. Liked it for surfing because it removes 95% of the carbon monoxide according to Indmar.

"How do the two boats compare in handling? Is the 230 more agile being a smaller boat? It looks like the 230 dry actually weighs more than the 247. "

I drove them both throughout the summer, and think they handle similarly. The 247 rides better in rough water than the 230.

"How do the two wakes compare for wakeboarding? Is the 230 a steeper wake? Can you make the wake as steep in the 247 using the wedge?"

The wakes are clearly different. I think the 230 is steeper than the 247 even with full wedge, but the 247 with full wedge seems taller in total height, and can be varied more easily with the wedge. If you got used to either boat's wake, you would probably prefer it over the other.

"Do you put 750 lbs down the side of the 230 and another 750 in the back corner? Are you putting 1000lbs in the back and along the side of the 247 or just a total of 1000 for the surfwake? Does the wedge help at all when surfing?"

We surf the 230 with full factory ballast in the corner plus a 750 sack in the rear compartment. You have to put a little more than 750 in the corner of the 247 to get a similar wake. I have a customer 1100lb bag in the corner of the 247, and with crew on the seats, the wake is huge. I swear by the wedge for surfing. Really lets you dial in the wake with different weight configurations.

"What motor do you have in your 247? "

400hp Hammerhead. Liked it for surfing because it removes 95% of the carbon monoxide according to Indmar.

Thanks for all of the info on the two boats. Pretty sure I am going to go with the 247. What year 247 do you have. I am pretty sure they haven't changed the hull since it's debut. How does the hammerhead do with all of tha extra weight surfing? The 247 I am looking at has the 8.1. How about the towers on each boat? Is the tower pretty solid on the Malibu or does it shake and move around? I have been on some nautiques where I thought the tower was going to shake right off.

Thanks for all of the info on the two boats. Pretty sure I am going to go with the 247. What year 247 do you have. I am pretty sure they haven't changed the hull since it's debut. How does the hammerhead do with all of tha extra weight surfing? The 247 I am looking at has the 8.1. How about the towers on each boat? Is the tower pretty solid on the Malibu or does it shake and move around? I have been on some nautiques where I thought the tower was going to shake right off.

8.1 is a good motor can't really go wrong. The illusion tower is solid there is a person here and there that like to diss it but I've never had a problem with one myself.

Sorry for responding so late; busy week of work!

Check out the virtual test drives for both boats:

Nautique 230

Malibu 247

Take a look at Wake Detail->Riders View. Notice how the wake is steeper and has more of a peak with the 247. Maybe it's because I'm not that advanced of a wakeboarder, but I really preferred the easier transition of the Nautique. I am just giving my personal opinion of what I thought of both boats. I just remember thinking how easy it was wakeboarding behind the 230 and going wake to wake. Maybe it's my skill level or my riding style. Hey, the boats can't be all that bad if Danny Harf and Shaun Murray use them!

As for steering and maneuverability, I found both the VLX and the 230 to be very similar. I do agree that the VLX handles chop much better, though. Overall, I love my 'Bu, and I know I made the right decision; I would never trade it for a Nautique.

• 4 months later...

We have an 07 247 and love it. I also have a 04 23lsv that we are selling for $29,995.

The 247 is the best wakeboard and surf wake on the market. The interior is the size of a small living room.

The 400hp hammerhead or the 8.1 are great options...I have the hammer head with the oj 14/14 and quarter prop. We surf it with almost 5000 lbs of water weight plus 3 to 7 people...it is huge frontside or backside. I grew up in Hawaii and surfed my whole life, so when I say the wake is huge I mean it! As far wakeboarding goes it is also big, has great shape and transition.

Hope that helps with your decision....If anyone has a trailer for sale I am looking for one....I purhcased 247 without a trailer, my 23 lsv trailer works but I will probably have to sell it with boat as most buyers do not have another option.

Sorry for responding so late; busy week of work!

Check out the virtual test drives for both boats:

Nautique 230

Malibu 247

Take a look at Wake Detail->Riders View. Notice how the wake is steeper and has more of a peak with the 247. Maybe it's because I'm not that advanced of a wakeboarder, but I really preferred the easier transition of the Nautique. I am just giving my personal opinion of what I thought of both boats. I just remember thinking how easy it was wakeboarding behind the 230 and going wake to wake. Maybe it's my skill level or my riding style. Hey, the boats can't be all that bad if Danny Harf and Shaun Murray use them!

As for steering and maneuverability, I found both the VLX and the 230 to be very similar. I do agree that the VLX handles chop much better, though. Overall, I love my 'Bu, and I know I made the right decision; I would never trade it for a Nautique.

Could it be because the 230 has a narrower wake and therefore the wake to wake transition is not as far?