Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fiberglass swim deck padding

Ndawg12

I'm saying they aren't areas that are frequently exposed to the elements and used alot. Therfore I don't pay alot of attention to them. In the past when I've used Gator Grip it did separate, I used it on my transom.

I think anything you use will probably separate at the edges on the platform if there are pieces applied, better to have an intentional separation to cover up that phenomenon.

Agreed, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We pulled the boat out on Saturday & put it in the lake for a run. All systems were go.

I noticed how slick the swimstep was though. I had refinished (again) late last year. Plus sitting indoors in the cold storage unit must have make it slick.

So yesterday I pulled it off the boat & sanded it all down. A neighbor stopped by (who owns a VLX) and commented on it. I offered the teak swimstep up for trade but he didn't bite. So it's all sanded down now & goin into the Linex shop to be coated with smooth black LineX this week. I have some blue/black Traxx pad left over & will be doing some kind of 3 piece layup similar to what I listed earlier. And then I'll do a rubrail edge on it. Rockon.gif

All Linexed & ready for Traxx...... :thumbup:

Cost me $80 & it's tough as nails. I have to thin it out to get the trap door & latch reinstalled.

LineXedLarge.jpg

I managed to save some black/blue Traxx & will be applying it this weekend.

Cost me $80 & it's tough as nails. I have to thin it out to get the trap door & latch reinstalled.

LineXedLarge.jpg

Ha ha Bill, you finally pulled the trigger on this project! I thought you knocked the dust off this topic to tell me you found some left over Traxx for me!! :cry: Your's looks awesome, hind sight is 20/20 but what if you would have just taken a saw blade off (1/8")of each side of the trap door and I wonder if a compound or even just wood glue between the joints, sanded down would give it a smooth look, it would probably hard to tell it wasn't fiberglass, would have saved me a ton of time and money!! Let me know what you use for a rubrail, I found some automotive stuff but the more I think about it it might not hold up.

Yea, I'm sorry about the available of Traxx going down. I do have one full sheet of black/grey left, and a couple of remnants in green/white & grey/white. Let me know if your interested.

I talked to the vendor again & their selling retail thru this site: http://www.noslipgatorgrip.com/

Prices are basically what I was charging. PSA has gone up quite a bit, but you can use a product from Home Depot called 3M Super90 spray adhesive. And color selection is way down.

Have you tried Taco Marine (http://www.tacomarine.com/) or West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/) for the rubrail?

I talked to the guy a little about this Linex. He said that it should hold up very well as is. His own Moomba has a 4 yr old Linexed swimstep on it & still looks great. He added texture in his so it's pretty gritty. Mine is basically smooth, no texture, although it has an "orange peel" look to it. Should be great for sticking Traxx to. But I may hold off on the rubrail & see how this does.

BTW, the door itself fits in the swimstep fine. It's the hole where the latch goes. I got the latch in, but it's so thick that the hook doesn't actually make contact with the catch. I'm using a rasp bit on my drill to trim it down a little at a time.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

LineXedLarge.jpg

My vlx has the line-x on the teak deck, I found it the be slippery when wet, I had to add some traction pads to it. The glue on the pads would fail after a while and need to be replaced.

Not an issue anymore for me, I replaced the deck with a fiberglass one this winter.

But otherwise that bed liner stuff is indestructible and maintenance free!

My vlx has the line-x on the teak deck, I found it the be slippery when wet, I had to add some traction pads to it. The glue on the pads would fail after a while and need to be replaced.

Not an issue anymore for me, I replaced the deck with a fiberglass one this winter.

Well I hope this PSA sticks to the Linex better than yours did. I did all this to keep from paying $600 or $700 for a glass step. And frankly I'm hoping it will be a little more durable along the edges with our foils occasionally hitting it.

But otherwise that bed liner stuff is indestructible and maintenance free!

Sweet! That will be nice! :thumbup:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Well I hope this PSA sticks to the Linex better than yours did. I did all this to keep from paying $600 or $700 for a glass step. And frankly I'm hoping it will be a little more durable along the edges with our foils occasionally hitting it.

Sweet! That will be nice! :thumbup:

It seemed like every week one of those pads were coming loose. And they were not cheap! I remember wake-boarding one day and passing a pad that just came off, I tried to grab it but missed.

With a many boards hitting it during the season there was not even a scratch.