Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Slxi window trim?

I have a 2000 Slxi and have had problems the past couple years with the black paint peeling off the window trim that runs on top of the window. My boat is especially bad on the starboard side where I rest my arm on the trim piece at times, maybe the sunscreen on my arm combined with the hot sun is having some kind of affect. Has anyone else had this problem? I was thinking about pulling the trim pieces off and having them chromed, would this be a good idea or would it be hotter to the touch than black?

Thanks in advance,

RR

Mine did that too, it was from the cover rubbing on it. Since the only part that was peeling was to top of the frame, I took some electical tap and ran it on top of the insert. it made it look new and held up though one season so far. I know it's a bandaid fix but it worked really well and you cant tell its tape.

It's not an uncommon problem. I've heard of guys stripping the black off and finding it's pretty shiny under there.

Thanks PP,

I like the idea, what would be best for stripping the paint? I really don't want to sand it and leave marks all over it.

I bought some black fingernail polish for touching up the tower but realized it works for small spots on the windshield frame too Thumbup.gif

That's what i have been doing to... The problem is it's only a temporary fix and i'm looking for something permanent.

I removed the cap a couple years ago and had it powder coated for 40.00. This after trying it bare for awhile. It did glare a bit and I just didnt want to get used to it. Now the rest of the frame is peeling so this year will probably remove whole thing. Bare in mind replacing the rubber round the glass was a bear soap worked wonders.

Depending on what condition you keep your boat, you could carefully steel wool the whole thing with fine steel wool.

Our team boat, with 4-5000 hrs was flaking a lot. An hour, next to no cost, and it looked like we had a brushed stainless windshield top. Didn't look as good as black, but it was free!