Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Options you can't live without

Wkerat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wkerat

• NorCaliBu

• whiteVLX

• SacRiverRat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am just glad someone else is getting on the spelling bandwagon :lol:

I have really started to like having options. The ski locker and the heater are the big ones for me. All the other toys are nice, but the locker is so useful. Being on the 90 SN last weekend without the locker, we had gear everywhere and it was tough to move around in the boat. It was no different than last year, except now I know what a locker does for storage space.

At least the course lays flat in my boat :yahoo:

The locker is nice, but it takes space itself. What it actually does is shielld our eyes from all the gear- still takes away from overall boat volume!

I think you are right, I don't think you can fit a ski in some of them...I did like the ski holders nautique used to have mounted under the gunnel. That wouldn't be bad, but for the most part I use the trunk.

Pretty much what everyone else said.

PP

Tower

WB racks

heater

Shower- really like that good to have some warm water after a run or two, during the chilly times.

wedge.

and some storage space! lol one day ill have a bigger boat :biggrin:

and maybe some goodies here and there that might come in handy

Funny how our perspective changes once we've gotten a taste of the finer things. ;)

PP - Agree with KState, my throttle skills are in the toilet since buying this particular option.

Storage - However you define it, racks, locker, whatever as long as it's a place to put your crap.

Insulated motor box, quiet everything - If I had it to do over again I would buy every "quiet" option possible.

Heater/heated driver's seat - The driver's seat is so good that I'm thinking about doing the passenger seat.

Wedge/ballast

Strong engine (Monsoon minimum)

A good crossover hull (which I have & am quite happy with :))

Wetsuits - Living here with our colder lakes, I wouldn't have much of a summer without a wetsuit

On the bubble:

Shower - I could live without it, but boy it's a nice thing to have on chilly days or with chilly water.

The one thing I really can't live without, now that I've left the snotty confines of a private lake, is a 3rd. :cry:

While the gear that has been mentioned would be nice, Mr. Ranger did not care. Something about a two year old not being a qualified spotter... :Doh:

Funny how our perspective changes once we've gotten a taste of the finer things. ;) Heater/heated driver's seat - The driver's seat is so good that I'm thinking about doing the passenger seat.

Glad to see there are others who share my perspective on the heated seat! Tracie, a tech article if you do the ob seat, puh-leaze? Not sure I really want to remove/replace the skins, but might be worth it. . .

I HAVE to have a hull, a motor, steering linkage, and fuel.  All the rest makes the experience more pleasurable but isn't "necessary" (maybe it's just me).  Think about it.  If you didn't have PP would you stay home?  No XM?  "Count you out?"

Well if you are going to get down to the basics, Do you HAVE to have gas and a trailer?

By the way, thanks for showing me the way!

My "Must-have's include:

1/ PVC Cover Support system. This gets put on/off EVERY night. It has to shed water while the boat is docked. It has to go on/off in less than 5 minutes.

2/ Mooring Whips: I hate bumpers rubbing the side of my boat. The whips let the hull gently rock up/down and back/forth.

3/ Insulated Motor Box. Yes, I know it doesn't reduce the noise at planing speeds.... but at idel/low speed... what a pleasure it is.

4/ The Launch Seat. (I don't have one of those large people-movers like a 23' tsunami maker.... I ski.... so the Launch Seat gives us great flexibility.

5/ Front Hitch: The launch ramp at my summer place wiggles all over the place. The front hitch gives me fantastic visibility and control. When I put the drop-down receiver on it, it also lets me move the boat/trailer up my home driveway into the garage without bottoming out the back of the trailer.

Funny how our perspective changes once we've gotten a taste of the finer things.  ;)Heater/heated driver's seat - The driver's seat is so good that I'm thinking about doing the passenger seat.

Glad to see there are others who share my perspective on the heated seat! Tracie, a tech article if you do the ob seat, puh-leaze? Not sure I really want to remove/replace the skins, but might be worth it. . .

Believe me, every project from here on out is thought of as a tech article. I did a bunch to the boat over the winter that I didn't get any pictures of & I'm kicking myself for it now.

The one thing I really can't live without, now that I've left the snotty confines of a private lake, is a 3rd. :cry:

While the gear that has been mentioned would be nice, Mr. Ranger did not care. Something about a two year old not being a qualified spotter... :Doh:

Really? I had a long discussion with the local mounties about what they considered a "qualified spotter." He said that in Washington there is no age limit so he makes kid a simple test if your stopped. If the child can tell the nice policeman that her job in the boat is to hold the flag up when the rider is down, then you get off free.

I had a long discussion with the local mounties about what they considered a "qualified spotter." He said that in Washington there is no age limit so he makes kid a simple test if your stopped. If the child can tell the nice policeman that her job in the boat is to hold the flag up when the rider is down, then you get off free.

Wow that IS cool - I often have a hard time scraping up a 3rd... but have a collection of little spotters. Not sure what the specific regs are in CA, but I think it is 12 or something

Not sure what the specific regs are in CA, but I think it is 12 or something

Troy, you are correct, it is 12. But as long as the kid is close to 12 and paying attention you should be OK. We had a Sheriff mosey over (not easy to do in a boat) at Englebright once cause he couldn't see my boy in the boat. When he came up he asked his age and we told him 10 but that he knew his job and was good at doing it. He didn't have a problem with it. Of course, it was mid-week and the lake was fairly empty.

Edited by NorCaliBu
They'll nail you for that here in CA. No water sports after dusk. Not safe anyway.

I see very little enforcement on the lakes we frequent, and never at night, having said that, it is a given that safety is more important than getting or not getting a ticket. I think a person could, under the right circumstances, safely surf 10 feet behind a boat at 8mph with proper lighting and with ambient (moon) light as well.

I think a person could, under the right circumstances, safely surf 10 feet behind a boat at 8mph with proper lighting and with ambient (moon) light as well.

Granted. Surfing is probably the only sport that could be considered safe to do at night. Even still, they'll nail you here.