Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX- Wake vs. Diamond Differences

cwkoch

I have the diamond hull on my 09 VTX and the majority if not all Wakesetters my local dealer orders in (Wizard Lake Marine) are diamond hulls. I believe if you search the archives you may come across a "blind test" Malibu did with a bunch of their pro riders and as the story goes all but one preferred the wake produced by the diamond hull. Does anyone have the link or have more specifics on this story? The dealer orders in the diamond hull for the majority of the boats for versatility and if there is any truth to the blind test there is really no difference at wake speeds between the two wakes. I am sure many of you will choose to disagree on that one but my experience with the diamond hull is complete satisfaction. Surfing is amazing, skiing is better than my 89 Sunsetter and wakeboarding is great. I run full ballast including front as well as wedge at 88% so I am completely maxed out. The wake is big with a nice lip but not massive, I am sure being the VTX is a smaller boat you will not get a massive wake with the wake hull, and the difference, if there is one, will be minor. I couldn’t be happier with the diamond hull, but I would suggest when the ice comes off take both out and decide for yourself.

Plus1.gif

09 VTX Diamond hull owner here and I agree.

My family enjoys all the different water sports.

Our boat throws an excellent surf wake (could be improved with more ballast if we were so inclined).

Great for WB and is very passable as a ski or barefoot boat.

However as was mentioned before DEMO...

this way you will have no regrets and will not 2nd guess your decision Cheers.gif

Scott

Someone needs to tell Malibu that there Diamond Hull is apparently better for making bigger wakes and flatter wakes. Doesn't make sense to me, but it looks like everyone else agrees.

Both hulls are great; honestly.

My response on this thread was to old skool about the blind test Malibu did; I only stated what was on the DVD.

"Someone needs to tell Malibu that there Diamond Hull is apparently better", thats hilarious :lol:

Good luck cwkoch on your search. I'm off to watch a wakeboard DVD, I need my fix.

Edited by Kingfish

I think the interesting question here is how different the wake is around 25 mph (23 to 27, gps) between both hulls.

A lot of hydrofoilers today riding at around 25 mph.

On my old barefoot nautique the wake was suddenly 'breaking done' at 25 to 26.

On the VTX wake hull this similar happens around 30 to 32. If it's not happen till around 28 on the VTX cut diamond hull, I would go with that one.

At least I would look at this issue during a test ride.