Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jetdock

phishfan

Hi all,

I've been casually looking for a solution to keep my boat out of the water. It currently stays in the water all season at my place. (Taking it in and out each weekend is a PITA) Did that the first year and it actually now have scuff marks across the bottom (need new carpetting I guess. Where I leave the boat there is no issue with waves, changing water levels or other boats. A regular lift isn't feasible since the water is quite deep (7+ feet) although I have seen the ones that you can float into place.

I was taking a look at the jetdock and it's quite appealing for severals reasons. It seems quite stable, life-time warranty, expandable, does not need to be removed during the winter and I could easily attach my existing floating dock to it. On the downsize, it's very pricey as you can see below, although it'll probably be the last dock that I would have to buy, so averaging the cost over several years can make appear affordable. I've read online about the airdock system but that looks pretty hokey to me. Here's a link the jetdock system for inboards. http://www.kingindustries.ca/SKI67000.html They utilize an internal chamber system to lower/raise the rear end.

It probably won't happen this summer, but, just curious about your opinion on this system and why it's so important to keep it out of the water. At the end of last season, I had my bottom acid washed to remove all of the algae. That just sounds wierd as I wrote that. Can algae eat into the gelcoat and ruin the finish?

TIA

I have one for my Jet Ski and love it. Quality product. I ordered direct from them and had it drop shipped. They should have some boat show specials coming up in Feb.

Just wanted to say I use a vertical lift, conventional lift. My deep end is at 6' deep and the front at less than 2'. You could be at 6' or deeper on both ends. I did need to purchase long legs but there are no problems. My lift and canopy cost today run in the neighborhood of $6,ooo to $6,500.

I do remove it in the winter but I like the ability to float on then raising the boat. I would not have a lift without a canopy. It keeps so much weather and sun off the boat. I do throw my cover on also as I am a bit anal about my boat. It just keeps everything very clean no spiders or bird poo.

Just thought I would make it known that it is possible to use a more common lift in deep water.

At our lake, due to the fact that the water level varies wildly, we are only allowed to use floating lifts. They work great and are way cheaper than the lift in your link above. Look into HydroHoist(www.boatlift.com) or Ozark lifts.

Hi all,

...why it's so important to keep it out of the water...

TIA

Left soaked for long periods, the gelcoat can become bubbled as water slowly migrates to the back side (or something like that) anyhow google bubbled gelcoat and you will see what I mean.

Edited by MalibuTime

I used a Jetdock a few times to work on my MC 205 when we were on Sammamish. It's a little unnerving the first time you power up on the thing.... or slide the boat down off it. But it never put any marks on the hull, and it was nice to be able to walk around the boat while it was in place.

As I recall they are like $10k or $11k though. And around here we can get a brand new Basta hydraulic lift with long legs for less than $7k. They can be used in pretty deep conditions too.

As for the boat & algae, look around the various forums. There are a ton of people who have experienced osmosis blisters on their hull because they leave the boat on the water for extended amounts of time. I leave mine on the lake for weeks at a time but I make a point to pull it out, let it dry & clean it up occasionally so this doesn't happen.

Bought a lift for $3500 new and built a floating dock with cover for $6500. Quite a bit cheaper than jet rock plus u get a cover. Our boat sits in 100+ ft of water.

check this post out Any one have a Viking boat lift?

It looks like deep water and ice are no problem.

It is in Waterspors & gear.

Edited by Sixball