Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX Lenght

old skool malibu

Looking for a new house..just wondering what the length is of a 09 VTX on a Extreme trailer is. I have the power wedge so total lenght to the end of the wedge would be ideal. I think the garage is either 22 or 24 ft. I know 24 will work no problem just wondering if she will be able to squeeze into a 22 ft garage with the platform off? Thanks in advance

Looking for a new house..just wondering what the length is of a 09 VTX on a Extreme trailer is. I have the power wedge so total lenght to the end of the wedge would be ideal. I think the garage is either 22 or 24 ft. I know 24 will work no problem just wondering if she will be able to squeeze into a 22 ft garage with the platform off? Thanks in advance

Hey Rob, I can see what my overall length is. I do know that it would not fit straight into my old garage which was 22ft deep.

Good Luck,

Trent

I measured one of our boats for you.

The boat is 20 ft bow to stern

If you have a power wedge - add 18 inches for the bracket

If you have a floating wedge add 8 inches for the bracket

Our Ryan trailers with the swing away tongue option stick out 4 inches past the bow.

Hope this helps you out!

-Paul

I have a 08 vtx on an extreme trailer.. and a very small garage (vancouver real estate = $$$ = small lot sizes and garages!)

My garage is LESS than 21' (I think 20'10" if I remember) and it fits straight in. Its very, very tight, but it works. I'm talking the wedge is touching the drywall and the folded tongue is almost kissing the door when it comes down. But I live 5 minutes from the river launch and its better than keeping it in storage somewhere. I have a floating wedge, as Paul stated if you get a powerwedge it will add 10" or so. You would be fine with a 22' garage. I back mine up to about 1.5' feet away to the back wall, then take it off the hitch and push it the rest of the way.

I have a 08 vtx on an extreme trailer.. and a very small garage (vancouver real estate = $$$ = small lot sizes and garages!)

My garage is LESS than 21' (I think 20'10" if I remember) and it fits straight in. Its very, very tight, but it works. I'm talking the wedge is touching the drywall and the folded tongue is almost kissing the door when it comes down. But I live 5 minutes from the river launch and its better than keeping it in storage somewhere. I have a floating wedge, as Paul stated if you get a powerwedge it will add 10" or so. You would be fine with a 22' garage. I back mine up to about 1.5' feet away to the back wall, then take it off the hitch and push it the rest of the way.

When you put the boat to bed after using it for the day, how long does it take you to back in, unhitch, take the swim platform off and then push it into the garage?

Edited by RedOwl

Our Skier will not fit straight in our garage due to my workbench being behind the boat (I also leave the platform on). To get around this I back the boat in until 2 feet from the wall and then disconnect it from the truck and push the boat into the stall at a bit of an angle. It certainly allows me to "stretch" the garage a bit. My trailer obviously doesn't fold so the tongue gets tucked into the far corner of the garage along the garage door.

Don't forget door needs to be 9' wide and 8' tall.

According to Pauls numbers I need 21ft 10" so 22 ft will work but i need an 9'wide by 8' tall door. Is that your typical garage door size? Here in Calgary most gargaes in the newer homes are around 20ft so the only way it would fit (assume the door works is at an angle) however if you are lucky some of the places have "oversized" garages measuring in at a massive 22ft! Thanks for the replys.

According to Pauls numbers I need 21ft 10" so 22 ft will work but i need an 9'wide by 8' tall door. Is that your typical garage door size? Here in Calgary most gargaes in the newer homes are around 20ft so the only way it would fit (assume the door works is at an angle) however if you are lucky some of the places have "oversized" garages measuring in at a massive 22ft! Thanks for the replys.

Glad to help! Wish you luck!

-Paul

I used to get the vtx on my extreme trailer into a garage door that was only 7ft tall. I had to back it up as far as i could with the truck and then unhook and drop the tongue as low as it would go. The racks would just rub the weather stripping on the way by. I had different tires and rims than you have though Rob. Best bet would be the 8ft door. When we moved to the new house the garage had two single doors and I just removed them and installed a new single 16ft x 8ft door. It didn't cost to much in the big picture. i have some pictures of before and after if you want to take a look at them.

Edited by Malibuzer

I bought a VTX last year and actually had a garage built to fit the boat prior to taking delivery. I have the Ryan trailer with swinging tongue and the Power Wedge and the boat is longer than 23 feet without taking the swim platform off. I was surprised at not only how long it was but also how wide. We have to take the trailer guide posts off too, to back it into a 9'8" opening. The boat is longer than you think, especially when you consider needing to account for the garage door too.

I bought a VTX last year and actually had a garage built to fit the boat prior to taking delivery. I have the Ryan trailer with swinging tongue and the Power Wedge and the boat is longer than 23 feet without taking the swim platform off. I was surprised at not only how long it was but also how wide. We have to take the trailer guide posts off too, to back it into a 9'8" opening. The boat is longer than you think, especially when you consider needing to account for the garage door too.

That is odd. It didn't seem right from my memory for my setup, which is a 2008 VTX on a Ryan trailer with a swing tongue, so I ran out and measured. I am 22'9"(maybe 8-1/2" even) from the end of the swimstep to the farthest forward point - the little ratchet switch on the winch when the tongue is folded. So all in, that is going to require a 23' garage or a bit longer with out removing the swim step since a garage door will take 4 or 5" and it depends where everything is lined up. I also have to take the guide posts off. With an 8' door I don't have much to spare, but that is leaving hooked to the truck and backing into the garage.

Here is how much there is to spare on each side. If you look close you can see a 3" or so wide orange line I painted on the garage floor so I have a reference for going straight in.

100_5264.jpg

Edited by MalibuTime
  • 13 years later...