Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Lifting Eye

cwkoch

Does anyone have a picture of the optional bow lifting eye? Is it a pop-up type? I've never seen one, but interested on the option if I end up ordering a new boat.

Thanks.

Trying to find a picture of it now, Charlie. But I can tell you it's not pop-up. I removed the one off my MC. It was tied into the lower bow eye with all-thread & I just wanted a clean look on the boat.

Frankly I can't think of any reason to have it. It's not designed to be stored hanging from it. It's really only for use moving to / from the trailer (like when they build the boat, or some tournament lakes). Considering your OCD, I'm guessing your drying your bunks? Whistling.gif

Thinking about unloading the Supra, huh. What Malibus are you considering?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Ok.... so it's the large round type that sticks up.... Not bad, but not that great looking. My Supra is a pop-up type, and I really like that. It ties in to the bow eye underneath. In that picture above the one of the boat in boat house lift, it looks like the "factory" type uses a spreader bar and just runs a strap through the normal bow eye. I'll need to do a little research, but this might be how I would end up doing it so I can avoid the lifting eye sticking up.

Bill- Looking at ordering a 2010 VTX. I want something garage friendly, and I love the way the VTX handles. Best handling V-drive I have ever driven.

As for lifitng, I have overhead cranes in our warehouse, and I've lifted my boat many times for things like new bunks on the trailer, gel coat repair on the bottom, waxing, etc. Even for just waxing/buffing the sides of the boat, it's much easier with it at chest level to run the buffer, rather than on the trailer where you're bent over the entire time you're working on it.

Right on. I have to agree, the VTX is a nice driving v-drive. You know that Curley owns one..... I think it's an 08. Might be worth a conversation with him if you have any questions about it. You should be able to get his email from hydrofoil.org, or email me & I'll get it.

Nice, how much to wax and buff my boat Biggrin.gif

LOL..... No thanks. I like waxing my own stuff, but I really don't want to do it as a second job!

Like this? My boat came with it. Don't know if it is factory or not.

Yeah. That actually doesn't look bad at all. It might come in handy for docking and stuff too...

That eye on the bow looks like a good way to rip off the swim suit when getting out of the front of the boat. :blush:

Edited by Marine Specialty

Yeah. That actually doesn't look bad at all. It might come in handy for docking and stuff too...

The one on my MC was noisy... it rattled as the boat went thru the chop. And it caught a pair of shorts or two before I removed it altogether.

I'd just use the spreader bar like the factory does.

If you are ordering factory built then I bet if you can get your hands on the recessed bow eye that you like (and it will fit, not a lot of deck space on the VTX) they will install if for you at the factory for a nominal charge.

no offence, but that is not a good look on a boat.

Why not just rig some strapping like they do at the factory.

The draw back to lifting that way is that coming on and off a trailer, you might have interference with the trailer bow roller or Boat Buddy. Having a lifting eye on top insures no interference.

Also- those straps squeezing on the rub rail are probably putting a fair amount of stress right there, but if the factory does it, it's probably ok. Having the lifting eye just makes things easier.

The draw back to lifting that way is that coming on and off a trailer, you might have interference with the trailer bow roller or Boat Buddy. Having a lifting eye on top insures no interference.

Also- those straps squeezing on the rub rail are probably putting a fair amount of stress right there, but if the factory does it, it's probably ok. Having the lifting eye just makes things easier.

if that was a big deal, i would rather have 2 bow eyes (one for the trailer and one for lifting) out of the way, rather than that thing sticking up like that. I used to hate the bow light before i got the pop up but then getting in and out of the front is fairly commonplace for us.

Previous owner stored in a boat house and rather than having a pneumatic lift, just hoisted out of the water. I am thinking of removing it and capping the hole somehow as I can never think of a reason i would use it. I agree that it doesn't look that bad however. Maybe a patch and gelcoat repair. I don't like the bow light either and may opt for a pop-up in the future.

Previous owner stored in a boat house and rather than having a pneumatic lift, just hoisted out of the water. I am thinking of removing it and capping the hole somehow as I can never think of a reason i would use it. I agree that it doesn't look that bad however. Maybe a patch and gelcoat repair. I don't like the bow light either and may opt for a pop-up in the future.

a body shop would fix the small hole made by that bolt for pretty cheap. You won't be able to tell it was there.

edit: at the very least i would remove it and put a stainless stove bolt(?) thru there. it will provide a low profile rounded over cap for the hole.

Edited by Cervelo

I never patched the hole on my 205 when I removed the bow ring. I just put some non-skid Traxx pad over it..... which matched the stuff I had on the sides & back too.

bowring.jpg

I never patched the hole on my 205 when I removed the bow ring. I just put some non-skid Traxx pad over it..... which matched the stuff I had on the sides & back too.

How about a wood step since my platform is teak???? :):) Actually, don't laugh, I have seen that before. I wouldn't do it however.

Edited by SoDakSooner

How about a wood step since my platform is teak???? :):) Actually, don't laugh, I have seen that before. I wouldn't do it however.

Yep, seen it on I/Os myself. Hey, guys that have teak like that classic look. So be it. Definitely easier than re-glassing it. And the hole is so small that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

I know your just havin fun with me, but the selling of Traxx is over & done with. I need to update the site ASAP.

That's not what I wanted to hear, my project is nearing it's final stages and I was going to be contacting you in a month or so!!!!

That's not what I wanted to hear, my project is nearing it's final stages and I was going to be contacting you in a month or so!!!!

Sorry man. I still have a small amount of it on hand. Some grey/white, black & grey & blue/white. But the vendor has told me they are having cash flow problems & are unable to get the money for another big order (it's made overseas by the containerload). I know Jake ordered a pallet of it some time ago & it was like $5000. So I'm sure a containerload is an absurd amount of money. I suppose that situation could change but I'm not holding my breath.

Here's some pics from one of my last buff jobs.... Much easier at chest level!

DSC02764.jpg

DSC02766.jpg

DSC02765.jpg

I can't tell you how jealous I am. I polish my boat a lot and that would make life so much easier! It kills me that I can't wax the hull where the bunks sit! Cry.gif